RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am noticing my first problem. I noticed it on the way home from the dealership last friday and switched the air to recirculating but I turned this off and it is still there.The exhaust leak seems to be coming from the passenger side and saw the exhaust coming from under the hood in the rain today. Has any one else experienced this. It is ok until you come to a stop and then in comes in the cab if the air is not on recirculate.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
That's would be the first. None on mine and I have been the rain twice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my dad look and watch as I reved the engine and you can see the smoke coming on the passenger side from the rear of the motor. Guess I am going back to the dealership.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Are you sure it is not some oil that is on the exhaust from manufacture burning off, you shouldn't see any exhaust. Also check to make sure you don't have a valve cover dripping oil. Many brand new engines will smoke when hot from paint and residual oil in the manufacturing process. You should also hear a louder ticking sound if you have an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm optimistically thinking it's something burning off, one of the new Pentastars I test drove on the lot did the same thing, and it had nearly 60 miles on it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
All exhaust components are coated in a very thin wax to prevent corrosion during shipping and lot storage, can't say for sure that's what it it but it could be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish that it was the wax or other things mentioned but you can hear the turbo leaking when you let off the accelerator. Have a call into the dealer to have it looked at.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does suck but what sucks more is the dealer has two locations which is one of the reasons that I decided to go with them (also only one that I could find on the lot) but they say they can't look at it till next Thursday at the location that I bought it from which is 50 miles from me and the one that is 13 miles from me told me to take it there as they do not have anyone trained to work on the EcoDiesel and it will be at least the 14th till they can get to it. I informed the lady that called me back from the local location you better get someone trained as you have Grand Cherokee's on your lot with the engine. I called another dealer and they can get it in on Wednesday (could do it on Tuesday but I have to go to the doctor that day). Still love the truck and how it runs and maybe it will run even better if it is totally right. Not anyway to get me to be a repeat customer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does it also but not all the time. Im not sure on the regen cycle on the particulate filter but im leaning towards thats what it is and the new parts burning off. Im gonna drive mine for awhile and see what happens.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to think that this is it and when I was first driving home is why I did not worry to much but hearing the turbo leak, seeing the soot on some of the wiring insulation and the smoke and I now have 450 miles on it there is a leak somewhere. You say that you don't notice it all the time, I did not notice mine either until I came to a stop and I was stopped Idling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried to take pictures but it is so far back under the hood/dash that I can not get a good picture with my phone and when I try to post a picture from my camera the file is to big.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have tried to take pictures but it is so far back under the hood/dash that I can not get a good picture with my phone and when I try to post a picture from my camera the file is to big.
The forum software is clunky for sharing photos. There are several workarounds to posting large photos. One way is to create an album on this forum (go to Forums > Community > Albums). Upload your photo to the album and it will automatically be sized for the forum. If this doesn't make sense the forum has a FAQ where you can search for "albums" and it will describe the process.

Another way is to resize the original on one of the free websites such as JPEG Optimizer - Compress and Resize Your Digital Photos. Yet another way is to post the photo somewhere else (Google+, Facebook, etc.) and link to it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have had strong fumes into cab also...sarted at about 3.5k .....twice have had white smoke wafting up from where hood meets windshield after about 20 minutes of stop and go . Dodge had it for several days and can find no wrong. I think it is related to the def and regen system as the warning message came up sayi gfilter 80percent fulland regen in progress very concerned about this and hope it is not "normal"

William

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
It's not normal. I watched and photographed a regeneration cycle. Posted the screen pictures. Noticed nothing unusual during that time.

Take your picture to Photobucket, Load it there and then post it with the link. Quite simple.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I noticed a really strong smell to for the first 1000k but is seems to be getting a lot better now especially after this weekend's 800+k run....
It smelled aweful though, like diesel mixed with burning plastic

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started to have the same problem with mine. I have about 2700 miles. Only at a stop and only when the recirculate is off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You said when you let off the gas you hear a leak coming from the turbo. Are you sure it's a leak and not the wast gate opening to vent the boost pressure

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine has 5700 miles and I've been noticing a faint exhaust odor at stop lights when the AC in not in recirculate for the last 2500 miles. Today I had white exhaust smoke coming in the AC vents when I stopped at a light. I pulled over, opened the hood and saw white smoke coming from between the firewall and passsenger side of the engine. After a few minutes the smoke stopped. I dropped the truck off at the dealer this evening. I'll find out tomorrow if they can find the exhaust leak. It looks like several people have posted this problem.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts