RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5400 miles and the bottom of the compressor is wet as well as the front of the block. It's dripping down to the oil pan and then onto my driveway. The front being wet leads me to believe the Fumoto valve is not to blame.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
73 Posts
Ouch...sorry....someone did not put enough gasket maker on your engine...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,677 Posts
I'm guessing it's a timing chain cover leak, there were a couple of Gen2 engines that had this happen. What's surprising if I remember correctly is the fuel injection rails need to be removed so the cover can be removed to reseal it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd take a good look at the after market intake pipe you installed. Inspect it around the hose & fitting where the crankcase breather hose attaches to the intake pipe. Watching your video of this pipe had me thinking the pipe was pretty polished & could be tough to seal the breather hose on.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
73 Posts
I'm guessing it's a timing chain cover leak, there were a couple of Gen2 engines that had this happen. What's surprising if I remember correctly is the fuel injection rails need to be removed so the cover can be removed to reseal it.
You sir, are correct. First all front of engine components, then fuel system, then valve covers, then upper timing case cover, then lower cover...
🙄🤨

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ONLY thing I had done to the engine was an aftermarket pipe from the airbox to turbo inlet. I checked and it was bone dry. So, I put the factory pipe back on just so the dealer won't fuss and the truck is headed there today at lunchtime. Will probably be a while before they inspect it and give me a timeframe and diagnosis but I'll report back when I discover something.

·
Registered
13,743 Posts
Many will be interested in your report as the 2020's have been so good.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
7 Posts
No oil leak here that I can spot and no marks on the drive way, anyone else use/burn engine oil though? Since new I need to add roughly 1/2 a quart every 2k. I check it at every fill up and it is a gradual decrease.

I’m at roughly 15000 miles currently and have noticed this since new. Currently running pennzoil platinum euro since roughly 8000 miles.

I’m wondering if this is considered normal consumption or if I should be concerned for issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
No oil leak here that I can spot and no marks on the drive way, anyone else use/burn engine oil though? Since new I need to add roughly 1/2 a quart every 2k. I check it at every fill up and it is a gradual decrease.

I’m at roughly 15000 miles currently and have noticed this since new. Currently running pennzoil platinum euro since roughly 8000 miles.

I’m wondering if this is considered normal consumption or if I should be concerned for issues down the road.

I’ll have to check now, I’ve never checked between oil changes on new cars or trucks lol usually I sell or trade before 75k miles. But this one will see a couple hundred k before I let her go. So I’ll add checking engine oil to a weekly routine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They called yesterday and said they've tested it with dye and discovered that the leak is at the timing cover. So they ordered a new timing cover and it's 5 days out due to parts delays. Also, it's a massive job to replace because lots of things come off the engine including fuel lines, injectors, etc. So I'm looking at probably mid-August to get the truck back.

Sigh... not a good way to start a relationship with this new EcoDiesel. FCA told us this engine was fixed. Now I already don't want to keep it long term.

·
Registered
13,743 Posts
That issue has been a noticeable issue with the earlier engines. Kind of a surprise to read about it now. You are a first but that is not such a good thing.

Don't give up on the engine just yet. You may never have another issue.

Reactions: Arvid

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.

Reactions: NewLove

·
Registered
153 Posts
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.
Good Luck! Can you point me in the right direction on how to make a complaint to FCA/RAM?.. Mine is in the shop already with only 350 miles on it

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good Luck! Can you point me in the right direction on how to make a complaint to FCA/RAM?.. Mine is in the shop already with only 350 miles on it
There's a member on the board, Ramcare, start a conversation, it will be enlightening and convenient.

·
Registered
544 Posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts