RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finally got mine back. Sheesh... rusted up injector at 5,500 miles? This is not an engine you want in your driveway long term. Very sad.

Reactions: sourdo and justind

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Reactions: justind

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Starting to see this issue pop up in the Jeep applications too. Becoming more obvious that VM had a bad batch of timing covers, or, there is some other common problem. Time will tell. Keep an eye on your engine blocks and if you see it get wet let your dealer know so we can get FCA to address it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No oil leak here that I can spot and no marks on the drive way, anyone else use/burn engine oil though? Since new I need to add roughly 1/2 a quart every 2k. I check it at every fill up and it is a gradual decrease.

I’m at roughly 15000 miles currently and have noticed this since new. Currently running pennzoil platinum euro since roughly 8000 miles.

I’m wondering if this is considered normal consumption or if I should be concerned for issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a 5w30 and outdated spec. Try a CK-4 rated 5w40 like Rotella T6 5w40.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
That old comment about a "rusted up injector" tells me they did NOT redesign the injector system. That means there's a long and open hole for junk to fall in above the threads, gum or rust things up and make removal a very difficult issue.

That would bother me as it has been a rather serious weakness in design that we hoped would be corrected in the Gen 3's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with 15k miles that is leaking from the same spot: near the compressor seemingly from the front seal or timing cover. I went straight to the dealer and they told me that some of those motors develop “excessive play” in the crank shaft causing a leak in the front. They’ll be taking it this coming Tuesday to check it out for a few days but if it’s a case of too much play they will be replacing the motor. This is my first vehicle with FCA and I’m hoping this doesn’t leave me with a bad taste for them so early on in this new relationship. When I find out what’s going on I’ll be posting again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This week on a Jeep forum I'm a member of, a guy had the EXACT same leak that I had and it presented itself the same: oil slowly dripping from the components below the engine. Wetness visible on various parts under the engine.

His dealer ended up replacing the entire engine, rather than digging into it and finding the actual source of the leak. It's likely that a new timing cover would have solved his issue as well.

Some of these repair shops just blow my mind.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
583 Posts
This week on a Jeep forum I'm a member of, a guy had the EXACT same leak that I had and it presented itself the same: oil slowly dripping from the components below the engine. Wetness visible on various parts under the engine.

His dealer ended up replacing the entire engine, rather than digging into it and finding the actual source of the leak. It's likely that a new timing cover would have solved his issue as well.

Some of these repair shops just blow my mind.
I wonder if fca gets the engine back so it can be examined, or maybe they dont care

21 - 30 of 30 Posts