RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finally got mine back. Sheesh... rusted up injector at 5,500 miles? This is not an engine you want in your driveway long term. Very sad.

Reactions: sourdo and justind

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Reactions: justind

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Starting to see this issue pop up in the Jeep applications too. Becoming more obvious that VM had a bad batch of timing covers, or, there is some other common problem. Time will tell. Keep an eye on your engine blocks and if you see it get wet let your dealer know so we can get FCA to address it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
No oil leak here that I can spot and no marks on the drive way, anyone else use/burn engine oil though? Since new I need to add roughly 1/2 a quart every 2k. I check it at every fill up and it is a gradual decrease.

I’m at roughly 15000 miles currently and have noticed this since new. Currently running pennzoil platinum euro since roughly 8000 miles.

I’m wondering if this is considered normal consumption or if I should be concerned for issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a 5w30 and outdated spec. Try a CK-4 rated 5w40 like Rotella T6 5w40.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
That old comment about a "rusted up injector" tells me they did NOT redesign the injector system. That means there's a long and open hole for junk to fall in above the threads, gum or rust things up and make removal a very difficult issue.

That would bother me as it has been a rather serious weakness in design that we hoped would be corrected in the Gen 3's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with 15k miles that is leaking from the same spot: near the compressor seemingly from the front seal or timing cover. I went straight to the dealer and they told me that some of those motors develop “excessive play” in the crank shaft causing a leak in the front. They’ll be taking it this coming Tuesday to check it out for a few days but if it’s a case of too much play they will be replacing the motor. This is my first vehicle with FCA and I’m hoping this doesn’t leave me with a bad taste for them so early on in this new relationship. When I find out what’s going on I’ll be posting again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This week on a Jeep forum I'm a member of, a guy had the EXACT same leak that I had and it presented itself the same: oil slowly dripping from the components below the engine. Wetness visible on various parts under the engine.

His dealer ended up replacing the entire engine, rather than digging into it and finding the actual source of the leak. It's likely that a new timing cover would have solved his issue as well.

Some of these repair shops just blow my mind.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
743 Posts
This week on a Jeep forum I'm a member of, a guy had the EXACT same leak that I had and it presented itself the same: oil slowly dripping from the components below the engine. Wetness visible on various parts under the engine.

His dealer ended up replacing the entire engine, rather than digging into it and finding the actual source of the leak. It's likely that a new timing cover would have solved his issue as well.

Some of these repair shops just blow my mind.
I wonder if fca gets the engine back so it can be examined, or maybe they dont care

·
Registered
1 Posts
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.
In the same boat have a case open but can seem to talk with anybody about this problem.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
In the same boat have a case open but can seem to talk with anybody about this problem.
Sometimes it's difficult to find the right resources to help you. This forum is an anomaly but on most 5th Gen Ram forums you can get direct help from FCA via "RamCares". In my case they immediately assigned a case manager to me and my manager called me every couple of days to check in. They also called the dealership to check in and offer help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Why is it happening to some and not others?
is it a quality control issue during assembly?
At first I assumed they just had a bad batch of timing covers during early production, because my tech noticed a 'machining mark' on mine and some other guys with the same issue reported the same finding. However, I've now seen this issue on 2021 model Jeeps with this powertrain as well, and those were manufactured a full YEAR after my truck was. So apparently there is indeed a quality control issue during either manufacturing or during assembly.

What is interesting is that in almost every case I've seen so far, the oil leak begins between roughly 3,000 and 8,000 miles on the odometer, which means that obviously it's not leaking as soon as the owner takes delivery. Does that indicate that the gasket and/or sealant that they're using on the timing cover is failing over time? One would assume so...though I guess if the metal surface of the cover has a machining mark on it that would exacerbate the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 1500 Limited EcoDiesel. I bought it in July 2020. It started leaking oil at 7,500 miles. Dealer said it was leaking from turbo - a bad seal needed to be replaced. 500 miles later and the engine was leaking again. They said the oil cooler was the issue and replaced it. The leak persisted. Now, they've narrowed it down to the timing cover. This is my first FCA vehicle. I'm really unimpressed with the engine, should've gone with the HEMI.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well interesting this new engine has it's issues in places as well. When I read the post above about they just changed the engine, I thought to myself yes that would be simpler lol. Likely can't get parts anyway just complete engines lol. It's the FC way with these things. Hope FC gets something right in these eco diesels eventually. Not sounding too promising as 7500 miles is showing leaks already. Many will jump on me because it is so rare or something because only bad news gets told on forums lol, but I see a trend developing here. As the trucks sells and the miles start to climb will these be isolated incidents like the bearings turning requiring complete engines on the earlier design? Hope for Rams sake they fix these issues and fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got mine back from the dealer. I had some of the same part numbers as WXMan replaced.
68490090AA Cover: Chain Case
68490021AA Cover: Cylinder Head
68229406AA Gasket: Oil Filter Housing
5072722AA ORing: Fuel Injector x 3
5072722AA Washer: Fuel Injector x 3
"verified concern, found oil leak front left upper timing cover due to porous cover. Also noted seepage from oil cooler gasket. Replaced left upper timing cover, replaced oil cooler gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OIl still leaked after last repair attempt. I took it back to the dealer (for the third time). The mechanic added dye and found a hair line fracture in the valve cover. P/N 68490020AA replaced. It's now been holding oil for a entire week! LOL But, as of yesterday it's now back in the shop for a strong exhaust smell coming from engine. Mechanic's finding - left rear fuel injector leaking.

·
Registered
2020 White Ram Rebel Ecodiesel W/Air suspension, 12 package, bed utility package, sunroof
1 Posts
5400 miles and the bottom of the compressor is wet as well as the front of the block. It's dripping down to the oil pan and then onto my driveway. The front being wet leads me to believe the Fumoto valve is not to blame.
Unfortunately my 2020 ram rebel eco has also just marked its territory on my driveway. Dealer has had it since April 22 with no end in site. Waiting on a gasket they claim that's on backorder. This $74,000 gem only has 17,000 miles. I saw your youtube video and the dealer has confirmed same issue relating to timing cover etc. I have a claim open with FCA with a "higher up" and i will do my best to have them make this right. Be it an extended warranty, Cash and Keep, Buy back etc. Have you had any luck with such claims on your vehicle? My biggest concern is this being a reoccurring issue beyond my factory warranty. Has your truck had any related oil leaks post repairs?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts