RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I had to drive from Denver Colorado to Casper Wyoming and back. The total distance is just over 550 miles. I Have made this same trip several times in my 09 1500 with the hemi and never got much better than 20mpg. The little diesel did really well today considering there was a cross/head wind of 30-50+ mph. At times it was everything I could do to keep in my lane. I would like to say I am pleased with the mpg out there, but it was not the best, only 19-20mpg!
image.jpg
The trip back was a little better at 24-25mpg
image.jpg
Total for the round trip was 23-24mpg
image.jpg

The one thing I really noticed about this truck is that it loves to run in 8th gear. On hills where my old ram would downshift to maintain the cruise control this truck would easily maintain the speed. Even though I was fighting the wind this truck is a joy to run on the highway. I can't wait for more long trips this summer!

·
Registered
592 Posts
How many miles do you have on the truck? The mileage on my big Ford PS did go up until I had some miles on her.

:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1800 miles. The mileage was great in my opinion, I was not taking it easy. I had the cruise set at 80 almost the entire way. That kept the rpms around 2000 the entire time. I have 3.55 gears and 17 inch wheels. I think the truck would only downshift when I went to aggressively pass a couple tractor trailers.

I would have been lucky to get better than 12+ with my hemi in the same wind.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got to love the wind in Wyoming and Nebraska. Can't wait for my truck to get here after reading all the conversations going on here.

·
Registered
592 Posts
1800 miles. The mileage was great in my opinion, I was not taking it easy. I had the cruise set at 80 almost the entire way. That kept the rpms around 2000 the entire time. I have 3.55 gears and 17 inch wheels. I think the truck would only downshift when I went to aggressively pass a couple tractor trailers.

You bet but with some more time on the engine, I'll bet your fuel number get better!

IMO

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

There's your problem. Guys have already found out that pushing above 75 is a killer on the MPG's. 65 mph is the sweet spot, and it still does good at 70. But guys have reported back with 30 mpg at 65.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
110mph.

If you go 80 mph into a 30 mph headwind it's like going 110 mph. Your 19-20 mpg is not bad then. You are honkin'. Race cars don't get good fuel mileage. Only thing is you did a "normal" speed for where you are.

May the wind always be at your back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Our 250cc motorcycles burn a gallon every 30min, the bigger liter bikes will burn a gallon every 10-12 minutes

·
Registered
438 Posts
Race cars don't get good fuel mileage.
I beg to differ. My turbo charged slant 6 runs high 10's and still returns 20mpg (if you drive it normally!!):cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
My first tank was 20 mpg as well. I was getting a little concerned, but my second is already 24.3 mpg with the same driving. I think it was the excessive idling as it sat to be loaded in the trucks and train for shipment that killed the initial fuel mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts