RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I will be the first to post my "dumbass moment" I went past the point of no return checking out a new road for work today. I am embarrassed to say a ford towed me out.:confused: Annapolis, Subd. D-20140616-00098.jpg Annapolis, Subd. D-20140616-00099.jpg IMG-20140616-00097.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm not sure much without tracks would have gotten back out of that, wheels look like you've been spinning in some great Ga red clay. Somehow it's sticky and slick as hell at the same time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got the red clay part right, but it sweet Nova Scotian clay with a nice mix of bowling ball size oil pan killing granite rocks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've got to ask - Were you in 4 wheel drive before you got stuck? Which transfer case do you have? (on-demand has "auto" position or on-the-fly no "auto" position). I ask because threads here and on the Ram forum are discussing how the automatic system is not really suited to off-road driving. Their main concern seems to be that the rear wheels have to spin before the front axle engages. Some posters indicate their trucks will engage the front axle under power, but then disengage when they stop. It is not my intention to re-start a pi$$ing contest, I'm just curious if the transfer case may have contributed to you getting stuck?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You got the red clay part right, but it sweet Nova Scotian clay with a nice mix of bowling ball size oil pan killing granite rocks.
Please tell me...are you from Sackville? ;)

OK, ummm...after checking in the registries of Dumbassery AND EcoDiesel Coolness, it appears that you are, in fact, the first ED owner to get that stuck. On one hand, I want to congratulate you because being "first" at anything in today's day and age is actually something else. On the other hand, as a former member of the Nova Scotia Jeep Club and founder of the SWAT team back home, I want to absolutely lambaste you for getting that stuck...and letting a Ford extract you! But, I shall not.

Instead I will applaud you for doing what so few actually do - taking their truck offroad! AND, bonus points for thinking to take pictures and post them up! We can all imagine that moment - that moment where you knew you were stuck...and three feet ago was the time to stop...then after the initial realization fades, a far more sinister cloud passes over your mind...and you realize we will ALL be chuckling at you when you post about this...which you were bound to do, as if the post itself had a mind of its own and would come into creation with or without you...

Its those moments in life that separate the men from the boys. You sir, are truly a man! Men tread where boys turn back...unless they're older men, because they turn back too because they know better... :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a close call the other day driving up into the mountains where there is still snow. It got deep a little fast, but I was able to rock my way out of it. I hadn't thought of it at the time, but that would have been slightly embarrassing to be the first to really get stuck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've got to ask - Were you in 4 wheel drive before you got stuck? Which transfer case do you have? (on-demand has "auto" position or on-the-fly no "auto" position). I ask because threads here and on the Ram forum are discussing how the automatic system is not really suited to off-road driving. Their main concern seems to be that the rear wheels have to spin before the front axle engages. Some posters indicate their trucks will engage the front axle under power, but then disengage when they stop. It is not my intention to re-start a pi$$ing contest, I'm just curious if the transfer case may have contributed to you getting stuck?
Then don't start one. All four wheels are buried. Maybe lockers might have helped, but that has nothing to do with our transfer case.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Then don't start one. All four wheels are buried. Maybe lockers might have helped, but that has nothing to do with our transfer case.
Completely agreed - I used to wheel in THAT area. From the look of the images, even lockers weren't going to drag his frame past the ground he was hung up on - thus, this has zip to do with the transfer case. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way the front end dropped in the loon shit it would have caused problems for some tractors let along a pick-up, Not to stir up any crap but this truck does not have the auto 4 wheel drive system but my 2012 did and there is no difference in the way they hook up unless you have it in that 4-wheel auto mode. lockers and bigger tires would have only dug deeper holes. for sportsguy this happened near Annapolis Royal 20 some kms back it the woods, Beggars can't be choosy the ford was the only guy I knew of close.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Looks like you are "roofed". When the frame sits flat into the muck it's O V E R.

I roofed my 2500 Cummins twice. One time I had to spend most of a day digging and working. Wished I had lug tires instead of street ones. No amount of rear end change would help if roofed.

Did it with my Duramax also. Rain in Montana turned the "two-track" into gumbo. Farmer told me to stay overnight if it rained. I only had a couple more miles to go so I kept on. He figured I was stupid and came with a tractor before dark. Gumbo dries like concrete. Actually stops you from turning the wheels.

You did a good job getting stuck and getting it out.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The way the front end dropped in the loon shit it would have caused problems for some tractors let along a pick-up, Not to stir up any crap but this truck does not have the auto 4 wheel drive system but my 2012 did and there is no difference in the way they hook up unless you have it in that 4-wheel auto mode. lockers and bigger tires would have only dug deeper holes. for sportsguy this happened near Annapolis Royal 20 some kms back it the woods, Beggars can't be choosy the ford was the only guy I knew of close.
I know the area well. Used to wheel the Valley...a lot. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts