RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody. I'm new to the forum and a fairly new ED owner. This is the first diesel vehicle I've owned; 2014 BigHorn, bought it with 35,000 miles on it and have owned it for about 6 months. The truck currently has 45,000 miles on it and last week it threw a P0401 code. I'm not usually one to purchase an extended warranty, but given the newness of the engine, I felt more secure doing so this time. So to the dealer it went. They called and let me know that it was an issue with an EGR valve. So I picked the truck up last Friday, and about 100 miles later, CEL is on again and the truck is throwing the same code, P0401. So, back to the dealer it goes...

I haven't been able to find much info out there about that particular code but I've done a ton of reading and watched a number of videos about the EGR in these trucks. They seem to be more of a PITA than anything. Is there any chance that the truck is throwing this code because the EGR diffuser or intake manifold is fouled with a ton of soot? I've noticed that the truck hasn't done a regen in quite some time; not sure if that has anything to do with this issue. I haven't noticed any difference in drivability or any change of sounds that the engine is making, but the MPGs are down by about 2-3 on average. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to diesel engines, but I'm really trying to learn, so any advice would be appreciated!

This morning, when I asked the mechanic at the dealership if they could check the EGR diffuser and the intake for soot build-up, the mechanic's response was, "I highly doubt it has anything to do with that because 45,000 miles isn't a lot for a diesel." From what I've been reading about this engine, and diesel engines in general, and videos I've watched, his comment didn't seem to make sense to me, but again, I'm FAR from a diesel mechanic.

Lastly, I've read extensively about the GDE Tune and am teetering on the fence. I want to keep my truck for as long as I can, but I do not want to void the warranty and be plagued with $1000s in repairs. Maybe the GDE Tune would help avoid those repairs? I absolutely love the truck, but I don't want to keep a vehicle that's going to be in and out of the shop, even if the warranty is taking care of the cost.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I actually read that one last night. I'm really hoping I don't have major EGR issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
First off welcome. Second it sounds like the "mechanic" doesn't know what he's talking about at least with this engine. There have been several members here who have pulled the diffuser tube and found it mostly full of soot along with the MAP sensor. The GDE tune is your best bet to avoid EGR related issues but as you say there is the warranty drawback. You could always keep your stock ECM and switch back when necessary. And lastly your truck in stock form is doing a regen approximately every 100 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts