RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the trailer out of storage for our first trip since 2019! It's a 5200 lb Airstream, and always an easy tow with the Ram. Route was mostly level ground, about a 400 mile round trip. The indicated mileage was 16 MPG, which is about the same as pre-recall. No differences in RPMs, or in up and downshift behavior while in Tow/Haul mode. I still find it a great towing truck, but like a lot of people, I wouldn't mind just a little more torque.

I had finally taken my completely stock 2015 Laramie in for "the works" this Spring - the V08, W58 and VB1 recalls. After reading here about people still having some hesitation and drivability issues, I wasn't sure how the truck would behave. There is a tiny bit of throttle delay when the motor is completely cold, but otherwise no noticable differences.

All that said, I still think when my AEM recall check arrives, I'll spend part of it on a tune.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Yeah you never read of anyone saying it was a waste of money and they regret their purchase. Get the brake option. (y)

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I disagree.

The changes to my 2015 were significant. I lost about 5 mpg and the performance cold is pretty bad and warm the thing is governed/limited on power output significantly untill you are over 1700-ish rpm. I guess that is a fail safe the put in to protect the bottom ends? It sucks anyhow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the original GDE tune that shut EGR off, and did the settlement/recalls. Have the epa compliant GDE tune now. Knowing what I know currently I would have not took the settlement and left original GDE tune intact. Truck isn’t bad now, but I would say 90% of what it once was drivability/economy wise after doing all the recalls and tuning again.

even with the epa compliant GDE tune, I find myself seriously considering the HD diesel tune and full delete. I’m way past warranty, I know there are some high milers on this forum but I believe getting rid of the emissions stuff gives you the highest chance of long term durability. Just my opinion, $3,000 is nice too.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Im considering a full delete tune once my truck is out of warranty. Might buy the tune, put it on the shelf and when the DPF or SCR decides to die, off it all comes.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I had the original GDE tune that shut EGR off, and did the settlement/recalls. Have the epa compliant GDE tune now. Knowing what I know currently I would have not took the settlement and left original GDE tune intact. Truck isn’t bad now, but I would say 90% of what it once was drivability/economy wise after doing all the recalls and tuning again.

even with the epa compliant GDE tune, I find myself seriously considering the HD diesel tune and full delete. I’m way past warranty, I know there are some high milers on this forum but I believe getting rid of the emissions stuff gives you the highest chance of long term durability. Just my opinion, $3,000 is nice too.
Im in the exact same boat. I dont notice much difference between the old GDE and the new EPA compliant tune, but fair to say i only have 1 day of driving/150 ish miles on the epa compliant tune. Either way, both are LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the AEM tune.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im in the exact same boat. I dont notice much difference between the old GDE and the new EPA compliant tune, but fair to say i only have 1 day of driving/150 ish miles on the epa compliant tune. Either way, both are LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the AEM tune.
agreed. The truck was a dog after the AEM tune, dropped a bunch of mpg’s. If there were no tunes available and I had to live with that, I would have traded it in and been done with my 1/2 ton diesel experiment.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
In almost 3000 miles of driving with the AEM tune, my best fuel mileage has been 23.8 mpg. In one tank of similar use with the GDE AEM compliant tune im at 27.9 mpg, and a 1/4 tank of it is with the AEM tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts