RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally let the wife talk me into a TT. We picked it up from the dealer Friday and they set up my WDH for me but I wanted to put some numbers up and see what the more experienced tow guys thought. The trip home was only about 35 miles and it was quite gusty and a little hilly but everything seemed fine. It did feel a little bouncy at times but once home, I found they forgot to empty one of the grey tanks so it had probably 20+ gallons at the rear of the camper.

My numbers are:
Truck
STEER 3540 lb
DRIVE 2560 lb
TOTAL 6100 lb

Truck and trailer
STEER 3420 lb
DRIVE 3620 lb
TRAILER 5580 lb
TOTAL 12620 lb

Attachments

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Looks a little light on the tongue weight best I can tell. You want between 10-15% of the trailer weight as tongue weight, with 12% being close to ideal.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
7,040 loaded truck less 6,520 un loaded truck equals 940 tongue weight.

940 TW plus 5,580 trailer axle weight equals 6,520 Gross Trailer weight.

940 TW divided by 6,520 GTW equals 14.4 percent TW.

You are in the TW range and should be roughly good as it gets for that trailer & current load. Plus you haven’t taken an excessive amount off your steer axle so it to should be in range so to speak.

Once you have the trailer camp ready you can adjust loading in the trailer in the bed and with the WDH to optimize it a bit.

I generally aim toward 12.0 TW as it’s always been stable with a box TT at 65 mph but doesn’t put anymore weight on the truck than necessary.

Also I generally like to fully replace my steer weight but you can’t always do both and again you should be in the zone. Does your WDH have built in sway control?

Reactions: Crash68

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going on a trial run this coming weekend, only about a 45 min drive but we'll see how it goes. I really like the R3, although the guys at the dealership set it up for me, it looks fairly intuitive. My neighbor has a Denali and pulls a 27' camper, he says his truck eats tires when pulling a lot. Do the Rams have this issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts