RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well almost a week,

Have had out Ecodiesel for about a week now and thought I would give a quick report.
This truck is quiet! It is by far the best riding handling pickup I have ever owned. The interior is of an exceedingly high quality with the tech (so far) working flawlessly.
Power from the little V6 is pleasing and available at all speeds ( at least under 70) and most importantly to me anyway the fuel economey has been excellent! Our truck is a Longhorn 4x4 with 3.55 rear and we have averaged 24.3 to date on all back country hilly roads, but that really doesn't tell the whole story.
On several drives when I have found somewhat flat roads this truck easily will average high 20's to mid 30's mpg, I am very excited to take this truck west this summer and see how high the mpg's will go!
I know most here might scoff at this but I drive like a turtle with asthma (ok not really but I rarely go faster that 65) and I also drive 35k mi a year so the high mpg is my goal because fuel costs are my biggest expense.
And the little V6 Diesel Ram is so far at this very very early stage making me smile!

P.S the kids wanted to camp in the truck the first night because it was soooo cool. Straight from the mouths of babes

·
Registered
413 Posts
Highway miles are great for a truck , I got 33 mpg @ 68 mph a few day's ago on the turnpike down here in the south Florida flat lands :)
there was a test done where someone drove at 52 mph and averaged 38 mpg but that would just be to slow to be safe on the highway , I am very Happy with anything over 30 mpg highway and any thing over 20 for city driving , most of the time I am getting 23 to 24 city but the truck is still new so maybe I wont baby it as much a few months down the road , but as we all no diesel take a long time to break in to get better mpg's so maybe it will even out :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have looked at some other posts were guys have talked about breaking in the motor and they think that they have them broke in in 1,000 to 2,000 miles. If this motor is anything like the Cummins that I have had and those engines did not loosen up until 60,000 to 70,000 miles. This is when I saw a spike upward on the mpg's. It will be interesting to see how tight these engines are and when we see an upward spike in the mpg's.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have looked at some other posts were guys have talked about breaking in the motor and they think that they have them broke in in 1,000 to 2,000 miles. If this motor is anything like the Cummins that I have had and those engines did not loosen up until 60,000 to 70,000 miles. This is when I saw a spike upward on the mpg's. It will be interesting to see how tight these engines are and when we see an upward spike in the mpg's.
I just traded in my VW jetta tdi with the small diesel and with that motor it was around 25 to 30,000 miles where I saw a increase in mpg , so I guess it will be a while for anyone to even get that mileage on there truck's ,

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I poke along like a turtle also, alt least when I'm in 4 wheels. My 2500 Cummins did not want to run much faster than 65. Got used to that.

Drove the Ecodiesel home and went normal speed. Looked at the speedometer and I was doing 80 mph. Since that first day I learned my lesson with this truck compared to my old one.

Bought a new radar detector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts