RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my truck on Tuesday. A crew cab, with 5'7" bed and Ramboxes. 3.55 gears. I ordered the truck on 5/1, so it was just over 5 weeks from deposit to delivery. I was really impressed with my choice of color - granite crystal, over black.
image.jpg

I had a trip planned for this weekend, and getting my new truck delivered was perfect timing. My previous truck was a 2011 ram with the Hemi. My first impression is this truck is noticeably slower off the line from a stop. But once the turbo spools up it is plenty quick. From the dealership to my house was about 30 miles, I was getting 24mpg in mixed driving. Impressive, since my hemi would only get about 15mpg.

On today's trip it was just a hair over 300 miles, about 240 miles on highway followed by 50+ miles on county roads, followed by a few miles of dirt roads. I used the cruise control set at 73 for most of the way, except in some heavy rain showers. On the county roads it was about 63mph. According to the trip computer I managed 26.9mpg for the trip with an average speed of 65mph. My previous truck would only get about 17.1 for the same trip. (Almost a 10mpg difference)
image.jpg

Some observations were, this truck really rides smooth. And it is really quiet. My wife had initially asked why I was driving so slow, she did not realize I was doing the same speed we always do. It was just so much quieter she thought I was going slower.

I am truly impressed.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. Being impressed is good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back. It was just over 300 miles up, as I posted at nearly 27mpg.

Friday and Saturday spent some time running around to the tune of 500+ miles on mainly county roads with some 'city' traffic thrown in. In local traffic I found the mpg's hovering around 24. (Compared to my previous truck this is amazing, as I would struggle to reach 14 in similar driving.)

Return trip home was again 300 miles of almost exclusive highway miles, however, there was a lot more traffic and more rain showers- I also seemed to be hitting a pretty steady headwind. Return trip showed 25.7mpg. A little lower but still very good.

Overall for the combined trip I came up at 25.2mpg. I'm still impressed.

Compared to my prior truck I also needed 1 less trip to the gas station (so figure about $75-$100 less in fuel costs right there), and I still show about 250 miles to empty on the EVIC. Normally I get in with just about a 1/4 tank and about 80-100 miles to empty. My prior truck was also an "Outdoorsman" package so it had the 32 gallon tank, and costs some $$ to fill up. I had a bigger tank in my last truck but was getting less range - go figure. I'm very happy so far.

Most importantly my wife still likes it...

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
That leisurely feel at such high speeds is a common impression. Truck sure "flies" and does not give much feedback that it's going so fast.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find that over 70MPH is a sweeter spot for the MPG than cruising like grandma. I now have 3200 miles on my truck and the MPG's increase with each tank. Last take was almost 23 MPG with mixed city/highway with a 4x4. My first tank was about 20 MPG with the same driving. Way better than my Duramax that I sold to get this truck. Saving at least $200 a month in fuel when compared to the Duramax. Just waiting to see how my toyhauler fares when I go to the river next month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts