Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, I have managed to put together the funds to do this. Currently at 117,000 miles. Should I send samples to Blackstone?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If you had to "put together funds" to get the stuff to change the rear diff fluids I would say no.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vote in my poll, MAS! Yeah, my funds have been bad for quite a while. But I just sold a pretty large item yesterday and that helped me to get all caught up. I'm not out of the woods, but I'm no longer behind. I just thought that this might be some information that the forum might be interested in. And I'm here to help!:cool:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
drain them , if any one looks funny , "metal flake paint " like , send it for analysis . just my 2 cents.
so answer for poll ==> maybe ... ... choice not there .

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd say your rear differential fluid is going to be in rough shape, that's a lot of miles on stock fluid, mine was not in visually good looking shape after 15,000 miles. Transmission would be interesting to see the quality of fluid in them, would almost need a VOA to compare with.

·
Registered
488 Posts
At last, I have managed to put together the funds to do this. Currently at 117,000 miles. Should I send samples to Blackstone?
Why ? It's not like you are going to run it any different next time. ... refill and drive.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey if you want to send it in it would be neat to see. Then I can know how far out I can push my trans service. According to vern 100k of his use is ok so im sure 100k will be fine for me.

On the other hand im so cheap I have a blackstone kit sitting at home and was going to send in my engine oil yesterday but decided not to because I just found out I had to pay postage lol.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I wouldn’t bother sending off the differential fluid for testing its going to be crap after that long. But I would send off the transmission fluid. The samples I attached first one is from my truck and the second one is from Captian Mal truck. The fluid seems to be good but the filter is not the most efficient. 699ADC00-3305-4BBF-A1B0-8DAC9B0C49AB.jpeg

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, 3-2 against. I'll keep checking until the stuff gets here.

And I hate to disappoint, but I could not justify (to myself) spending $50 on the wonderful pump from Cool Tech for a one-time use. So I'll be struggling to transfer the fluids with a cheap ol' Amazon pump.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I also recommend analysis on the transmission as it's a complex and expensive component. I wouldn't worry about sending off the rear diff fluid.

I'm gonna service my transmission soon and install a PPE pan. Will send off a sample.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I also recommend analysis on the transmission as it's a complex and expensive component. I wouldn't worry about sending off the rear diff fluid.

I'm gonna service my transmission soon and install a PPE pan. Will send off a sample.
Interesting thought... but I wonder what the difference in cost would be to have the transmission replaced and to have the front or rear dif replaced at a dealer? I bet neither one is cheap and I would bet $ for $ as much more complex and more moving parts as the transmission has its not exorbitantly more costly than what replacing one of the difs.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I disagree. I think a transmission would cost a lot more to replace than a differential.

On another note, I wouldn't be nearly as worried running my diff dirty as I would my transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
New transmission seems to run around $3700 with 4.5 hours to r&r. Or 12.1 hours plus parts, materials, etc to overhaul. Versus 3.3 hours to replace the rear axle with limited slip is about $1700 definitely much less expensive.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And after an evening of work it looks like we were successful. I have to really pay attention to notice any difference. It's quite subtle. I can see how the lube scam places can get away with telling you did it when they didn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts