RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New ED owner and first time poster here. I recently picked a 2015 with 72k on the clock and impeccable dealer service records. When checking it over I noticed a few issues around the exhaust flange. The studs are intact currently, but the nuts are completely crumbling and it appears that there is a bit of a gap in the upper bolt of the flange. In addition both sides of the braided part of the flex pipe are completely unattached.

I have thought about drilling out the flange bolts, but not sure I want to spend 2 hours under the truck right now. Was thinking of taking it to the dealer where I live (the dealer where it was serviced is 2 hours away) and seeing what they would do. When looking over the AEM Warranty it seems like the DPF is covered, but not really strait forward claim from what I'm reading here.

Seems like a mixed bag getting warranty work done on these flange bolt issues, but maybe in combination with the flex pipe. Has anyone had any luck with warranty work on the DPF flex pipe issue?

3053911473200310097.jpg -8205215936290137428.jpg

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
my dealer warrantied this issue. HIGHLY suggest getting the extended warranty. if you do this, don't show them this until after the warranty is in place. If you don't, this is not a bad repair to do yourself. Just need some bolts, nuts and lock washers. the studs will eventually fail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had 2 of 3 studs fail on mine, was a fight with my dealership and RAM "cares" wasn't helpful in regards to the warranty. Eventually got reimbursed after contacting the attorneys for the AEM. The dealer really did just put in some Grade 5 bolts and washers....at least will be easier to replace myself down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
my dealer warrantied this issue. HIGHLY suggest getting the extended warranty. if you do this, don't show them this until after the warranty is in place. If you don't, this is not a bad repair to do yourself. Just need some bolts, nuts and lock washers. the studs will eventually fail.
So your fix was under an extended warranty? I see that ruraldodge607 said that the "cares" wouldn't fix his.

Since by bolts are not broken (yet) I'm wondering if the failing braided flex pipe section would be enough to qualify under the AEM fix warranty as it says "DPF assembly" in the document.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had this issue on my 2015 over 2 years ago and it was covered by warranty. This was before the AEM.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I think the dealer would balk unless it is leaking exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interestingly enough, I didn‘t notice that my flange lost one of the bolts and started to leak until one time I punched it on the highway. I couldn’t get it in for a week and a half. By the time i got to the dealer, the high exhaust temperature had destroyed the def injector and wiring harness that was just above it.

I’d recommend replacing it before you get the exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Is replacing the studs with bolts something that should be done as preventive maintenance?

I inspected mine and it looks ok with the exception of the nuts being rusty. Wrapped some high temp aluminum tape around the def injector and wiring harness just in case of a failure and leak. Did not wrap it to a point that will impede the removal of injector for cleanout though.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Here's a tip: If the bolt breaks off, heat the remaining part cherry red, spray in the hole with WD40 quickly, this will shrink the stud and you can easily punch it out . I drilled the first one out, was a pita, second one used a
Is replacing the studs with bolts something that should be done as preventive maintenance?

I inspected mine and it looks ok with the exception of the nuts being rusty. Wrapped some high temp aluminum tape around the def injector and wiring harness just in case of a failure and leak. Did not wrap it to a point that will impede the removal of injector for cleanout though.
torch, WD40 and the punch, took only a couple minutes. Much easier on a lift. Won't be fun in the driveway. Can't say if they all will break, but I'd pick a time when I could get it on a lift and do it.

Reactions: Polymers
1 - 13 of 13 Posts