RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm looking for some ideas on where/what I should be looking for next. I recently bought a 2015 Laramie ED, and since I bought it, the drivers side fog light doesnt work and the trailer connectors right signal and brake light didnt work. I was able to fix the trailer connector easily, as I found the fuse had blown. As far as the foglight, I changed the bulb but still nothing. The connector didnt look corroded, so I'm wondering if the wire is messed up somewhere between there and the tipm. I'm sure I'm gonna have to trace the wires, but just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this exact thing and could let me know what you found was happening.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You will have to trace it, hoping the previous owner didn't do some monkey wiring to the lights. Biggest complaint is jiggling fog light as they get miles. I have one starting to wiggle at 110,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
When you say changed the bulb, just to clarify you put in a halogen bulb? and not an LED?
The '15 model year for some reason is finicky about it's lighting. If there is LEDs installed, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine to check if the fogs work. If they do the problem is with bulb detection not liking the LED. There is anti-flicker modules to resolve this: CANBUS Anti-Flicker Module (pair)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say changed the bulb, just to clarify you put in a halogen bulb? and not an LED?
The '15 model year for some reason is finicky about it's lighting. If there is LEDs installed, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine to check if the fogs work. If they do the problem is with bulb detection not liking the LED. There is anti-flicker modules to resolve this: CANBUS Anti-Flicker Module (pair)
Sorry, I didn't even think about clarifying that lol. The fog lights have halogen lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will have to trace it, hoping the previous owner didn't do some monkey wiring to the lights. Biggest complaint is jiggling fog light as they get miles. I have one starting to wiggle at 110,000 miles.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking I would have to do. If worse comes to worst and I can't figure it out, I should be able to run two wires from the passenger sides fog light wires(ground and power) over to the driver sides and get it to work that way. At least that's what you could do on the older trucks like my 06 ram 1500. I'm not sure how the newer trucks electrical systems work tho lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally found/made some time to get under my truck and take a good look at my drivers side fog light issue. I had to jack up the front of my truck put a jack stand on each side of where the jack was so I could pull the jack out to use my creeper. I'm not a fan of the plastic moulding that's underneath the front bumper on this truck, because I can't fit under it without jacking it up lol. But once I was under the truck at the drivers side fog light area, it only took me like 30 seconds to figure out what the problem was and I just wanted to pass along the info in case anyone else has a similar issue. What I found is right at the wiring harness connector (the wiring harness connects just above the drivers side fog light and then runs over to the passenger side fog light and powers both fog lights), one of the wires, power wire for drivers, was completely corroded through and cut the wire in half, as well as its ground wires insulation was half ripped or burnt away, exposing its copper. At first I was going to try and remove the pins and wires in the connector, but then I remembered seeing that I could buy the whole harness for under $30 and wouldn't have to deal with future issues with my fix. This picture is showing the wire being severed.

20210420_173845.jpg

This picture is showing the full harness I ordered off of Amazon.

Screenshot_20210420-230431_Chrome.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts