RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal was to increase side visibility at 10 and 2 o’clock for travel on BLM roads. I have 55 watt HID projector low beams and very bright LED high beam bulbs both from GTR Lighting. They work well for their intended purpose. However, the projector lenses don’t shine wide enough to see off pavement issues (especially in curves) well enough including pot holes, washouts, BFRs (big rocks), large tree branches, and animals wanting to end their life head first into my front bumper. I swapped out the stock fog lights for a set of Morimoto XB LEDs. They helped but not to my satisfaction. Then I came across Diode Dynamics and their SS3 fog lights. They offer them in Sport ($220) , Pro ($340), and Max ($540) per set. After reviewing each I decided to try the Pro model hoping they would put out enough light at 10 and 2 o’clock. My test in town was very satisfying but the real test will be on an unlit, uneven, unkept dirt road. First photo is low beams only, second is Morimoto on right fog and Diode Dynamics on left fog light, third photo is Diode Dynamics on both sides. Video is with both Diode Dynamics fogs (and low beams.

Fog light test video

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
OMG......yes indeed impressive. Where do I send my left nut for a set of these fogs?

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, in the video the on and off was the fogs. I’m planning an off pavement test very soon and will post a video. Now that I learned I can run the fogs with the parking lights on and no headlights I’ll cycle through that as well. The install was a level 2 out of 10. 10 being most difficult. It took longer to get a couple tools out and an old moving blanket out than it did to install. Easy peasy.

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
The install was a level 2 out of 10. 10 being most difficult. It took longer to get a couple tools out and an old moving blanket out than it did to install.
Are they direct Plug-N-Play? Did you need to use an anti-flicker module/load resistor for them to work? or did you have the fogs set as LED using AlfaOBD?

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PapaCap, any thought to trying ditch lights on hood hinge mounts?
I have a light bar with magnetic mounts for the roof. Since the hood is aluminum can’t use magnetic mounts there. Since my rig is more of a Cowboy Cadillac I’m not interested in mounting anything full time on top of the hood.

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are they direct Plug-N-Play? Did you need to use an anti-flicker module/load resistor for them to work? or did you have the fogs set as LED using AlfaOBD?
Almost plug n play. They include a plug adapter dongle. Whole process is 20 minutes including a beer.

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also don’t forget...EIGHT YEAR WARRANTY

Reactions: navyr113

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t plan to use them on paved roads unless it’s foggy so I’m not concerned about oncoming traffic and they need not be concerned about me.

· Premium Member
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 5.7 ft bed Laramie
103 Posts
My goal was to increase side visibility at 10 and 2 o’clock for travel on BLM roads. I have 55 watt HID projector low beams and very bright LED high beam bulbs both from GTR Lighting. They work well for their intended purpose. However, the projector lenses don’t shine wide enough to see off pavement issues (especially in curves) well enough including pot holes, washouts, BFRs (big rocks), large tree branches, and animals wanting to end their life head first into my front bumper. I swapped out the stock fog lights for a set of Morimoto XB LEDs. They helped but not to my satisfaction. Then I came across Diode Dynamics and their SS3 fog lights. They offer them in Sport ($220) , Pro ($340), and Max ($540) per set. After reviewing each I decided to try the Pro model hoping they would put out enough light at 10 and 2 o’clock. My test in town was very satisfying but the real test will be on an unlit, uneven, unkept dirt road. First photo is low beams only, second is Morimoto on right fog and Diode Dynamics on left fog light, third photo is Diode Dynamics on both sides. Video is with both Diode Dynamics fogs (and low beams. View attachment 89324

View attachment 89325

View attachment 89326

Fog light test video
My goal was to increase side visibility at 10 and 2 o’clock for travel on BLM roads. I have 55 watt HID projector low beams and very bright LED high beam bulbs both from GTR Lighting. They work well for their intended purpose. However, the projector lenses don’t shine wide enough to see off pavement issues (especially in curves) well enough including pot holes, washouts, BFRs (big rocks), large tree branches, and animals wanting to end their life head first into my front bumper. I swapped out the stock fog lights for a set of Morimoto XB LEDs. They helped but not to my satisfaction. Then I came across Diode Dynamics and their SS3 fog lights. They offer them in Sport ($220) , Pro ($340), and Max ($540) per set. After reviewing each I decided to try the Pro model hoping they would put out enough light at 10 and 2 o’clock. My test in town was very satisfying but the real test will be on an unlit, uneven, unkept dirt road. First photo is low beams only, second is Morimoto on right fog and Diode Dynamics on left fog light, third photo is Diode Dynamics on both sides. Video is with both Diode Dynamics fogs (and low beams. View attachment 89324

View attachment 89325

View attachment 89326

Fog light test video
wow...just...wow. I bought the Mishimoto lights and the improvement was 'marginal' at best. I will never buy their products again. Thank you for the detail analysis.

· Registered
4,295 Posts
@PapaCap and @Crash68, I just hooked up my Diode SS3 LED Fogs. What do you guys recommend for adjustment?

· Registered
4,295 Posts
Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Fogs installed!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts