RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many people drive around in perfect weather conditions with fog lights on :confused: Or install illegal super bright LED lights inside the fog housing then use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
To bee seen? Ever hear of daytime running lights? As a motorcycle rider I know that lights save lives. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run them all the time. I think they help fill in a portion of the lane the regular headlights overshoot and like Ram1 said, more visibility for oncoming traffic isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why do so many people drive around in perfect weather conditions with fog lights on :confused: Or install illegal super bright LED lights inside the fog housing then use them all the time.
You are right some new LEDs can put out 5000 lumens and more... regular halogens are between 1000 and 2000 lumens

Fog lights don't have reflector nor lens to be used as daily driver lights they are for low viability during FOG..

Here is light pattern: flood-lights-vs-fog-lights.jpg

Fog lights make wide very intense light which blinds oncoming traffic.... so using them as DD lights is not safe.... at least...

I know many will say I use them all the time... blah blah blah.... I know many people who doesn't care about people around them...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fog lights are low for a reason, to shine underneath the fog. If someone's fog lights are blinding you, its because they are adjusted wrong, not for the simple fact that they are on.

For fun, next time you're in heavy fog, turn your brights on, which are intended to point higher than any of your other lights. How well can you see now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i know my factory fogs illuminate an area higher than regular headlights, but I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me when driving at night and having the fogs on. I used to have them on all the time but they shake too much so I only have them on when needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have LED's for all my bulbs. They produce about 3,500 lumens. I found that they simply need to be adjusted correctly and have the right "cut" at the height of the beam in order to not shine into oncoming drivers eyes. I run my fog lights constantly. They are adjusted correctly and only shoot low to the sides to illuminate the ditches and a very small part just under the dim beams in front of the vehicle. On most vehicles fogs lights are physically set on the curvature of the bumper which allows them to shine more to the sides than directly in front. The are also always positioned low so they can shoot a beam under as much fog as possible and illuminate the ground as mentioned in an above post. They are also typically a lower output bulb since the point is not to shine very bright which blinds the driver in foggy situations and hence nullifies the usefulness of fog lights in the first place.

If you're getting a bright beam in your eyes from a fog light then they are either miss adjusted, the housing is not secured like in the case of an accident causing it to point upwards, or the bulb is incorrect or incorrectly installed where the filament of the bulb is too close to the reflector not allow the appropriate beam.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I hate aftermarket headlights, I hate the super bright new lights and I hate people who drive with their fog lights on. If those people had to sit on the other side of the bulb they wouldn't do what they do. Really pisses me off, but what the hell can you do about it? Nothing. Many of them I see are against the law, but nobody enforces it so nothing happens.

To add to it all the people who just gotta level their truck because it looks so cool never adjust their head lights and it sucks worse.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I run mine because the projectors don't illuminate enough. The fogs help distribute light like the image above demonstrates. I've tried LED's and the light is all over the place. Installed HID's and the light pattern is low, but wide. HID bulbs have a similar beam pattern to incandescent bulbs. No complaints from other drivers.

IMG_1300.jpg

·
Administrator
8,715 Posts
I hate aftermarket headlights, I hate the super bright new lights and I hate people who drive with their fog lights on. If those people had to sit on the other side of the bulb they wouldn't do what they do. Really pisses me off, but what the hell can you do about it? Nothing. Many of them I see are against the law, but nobody enforces it so nothing happens.

To add to it all the people who just gotta level their truck because it looks so cool never adjust their head lights and it sucks worse.
I mostly have to agree with you on this one. I'm a little lighter on the hatred so I'll say dislike. The other night I had an oncoming wrangler with massive rectangular LED panels mounted outboard on both side mirrors. I never saw anything like it before and I actually had to almost come to a stop until he passed. Luckily it was on a back road. In my younger years I would have turned around and chased him down.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Driving with your fog lights on and having LED panels are 2 different things. I agree that it really pisses me off to get blinded by after market lighting but fog lights are OEM and as was said before, if they are adjusted properly they won't shine high enough to bother other drivers.

·
Administrator
8,715 Posts
Driving with your fog lights on and having LED panels are 2 different things. I agree that it really pisses me off to get blinded by after market lighting but fog lights are OEM and as was said before, if they are adjusted properly they won't shine high enough to bother other drivers.
I agree. I was by no means saying they were the same. As far as fogs are concerned I dislike when they're not aimed properly. I installed the LED projectors, aimed them properly, and run them all the time.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Fog lights are also useful in snow. However for me they add nothing to useful clear night visibility. I did not know they were adjustable on our rams. Can anyone provide a brief description on how to do so?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,487 Posts
I did not know they were adjustable on our rams. Can anyone provide a brief description on how to do so?
There is a wing nut on the back of the fog lights that adjusts the up/down of the fog light. There is no side/side adjust. It doesn't take much to move them up/down, just don't loosen it too much as it will come apart.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I run my stock fogs anytime my low beams are on, I wish they would stay on with the high beams. Normal fog lights will not blind oncoming drivers. Many people use them because they have a wider low spread which is very handy on twisty roads for illuminating the turns right in front of you, they also illuminate the ditches and fields up close so you can see the danged deer that's going to jump right in front of you. Fog lights that are properly built and installed will cast a low wide beam which is NOT going to blind other drivers by lens shaping and reflectors.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Fog lights are also useful on dark unlit roads, because the light spreads far wider than headlights. Using them, you light up the edge of the roadway.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
I run my stock fogs anytime my low beams are on, I wish they would stay on with the high beams.
I believe is a federal restriction to no more than 4 forward lights on while on road. The lows stay on when the high beams are turned on, so the fogs are programmed to turn off.
I have read that with AutoEnginuity, you can set the fogs to stay on with the high beams. It's not to say that if your local law enforcement could cite you for having too many lights on.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is not much you can adjust with fog lights.

Fog lights have completely different patern.

They make not too high, but VERY INTENCE and wide light beam.

You can lower them, but they still shine into o coming traffic.

Also their on/off switch is not located where you can switch them to avoid blinding somebody.

It makes more sense to upgrade low beams with high quality LEDs or HIDs if you have projector headlights.

It makes sence to upgrade fog lights to medium output LEDs and use them ONLY in low visability conditions like fog, heavy rain, snow.... or off road.

I have projector headlights and because of this I upgraded to HIDs and I am super happy with my lights.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
Also their on/off switch is not located where you can switch them to avoid blinding somebody.
Where is your fog light switch located?? The factory fog lights switch is the pushbutton action of the headlights switch. I can turn the fogs on/off just as fast as the low or high beams.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts