RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this from 3 years ago FL > MT in a leveled 4x4 running speeds 80+ across SD.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I got 32 on a long drive once, with a tailwind in my heavy Laramie.

I've found that the mpg on the tripmeter is a rolling avg of the most recent 400mi. Found this through my own testing. 30 is good for the last 400mi.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Best ever for me a couple weeks ago, 29.4. 28.4 on the return trip, second best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
These trucks (at least with the 3.55 rear end) WILL break 30 mpg. I’ve gotten that or better (hand calculated) on a number of long road trips. My best mpg’s come around 75 mph, consistent driving, no rapid acceleration and no cruise control. With cruise engaged my mileage on the same roads ranges from 28.8 to 29.5

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without an accurate measurement of what’s left in tank this does no good.

30.9 MPG over a 3,397 mile drive from Florida to Montana does no good? How does one come to that conclusion?

Tanks averaged 650 - 700 depending on when we stopped. Max take even was 717 miles in Florida.

EDIT: This was with Defenders NOT the AT3Ws.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
298 Posts
30.9 MPG over a 3,397 mile drive from Florida to Montana does no good? How does one come to that conclusion?

Tanks averaged 650 - 700 depending on when we stopped. Max take even was 717 miles in Florida.

I saw a max of 718 too on my return trip...and that was 62 miles after a fill up. And Ford wants to brag about a hybrid truck with a 700 mile range...and a 36 gallon tank, lol!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Must be a flat drive/ slight decline? 👍
Florida to Montana via mountains in Western NC, the beautiful Bighorn National Forest in WY were the steepest grades we encountered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Closest I've been is 27.386 hand calculated and that was only a short trip, not a full tank. Averaging 23 lifetime, I blame the hills of upstate NY.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
My best average on a tank was 32 mpg and change (hand calculated). It was a combination of commuting/emty hwy ranch run. Ran the tank very low and had a hair over 800 miles on the tank when I fueled up. Tuned crew cab 4x4 with my wife myself a toddler and an infant.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is amazing to me is how many 30 + MPG members we have here, but when you look on fuelly, how few there are.
Obtaining 30 for a tank doable however, overall average of 30 would be 'pencil whipping' the data. My lifetime is right at 26mpg 200,000+ miles.

Fuelly is a great real world average because it doesn't filter out lifts, towing, snow, mountains, etc. My MPG should always be above national average simply because we have great roads sheltered from high winds with trees, zero snow to push through, and flat terrain.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've gotten over 35 once. Mostly 29-30 in winter and 30-32 in summer. Never drive over 65. Towing will bring it down, but still, better than my girlfriend's Toyota Corolla!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts