RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Do I dare share a tidbit of advice to improve your mileage?

TUNE IT.........and DELETE IT !!!

LOL
Mine is neither tuned, nor deleted and remains factory stock, yet I get almost the same good highway mileage as some of the best reported here, despite our cooler temperatures and hilly country.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Mine is neither tuned, nor deleted and remains factory stock, yet I get almost the same good highway mileage as some of the best reported here, despite our cooler temperatures and hilly country.

J B........that was joke directed at Jonboy who usually trolls here stating all everyone here says is tune, delete, tune, delete and the Ecodiesel is a hunk of @*#! :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
We just wrapped a 1050mile each way trip (Fargo ND to Flathead MT); entire trip was about 2500miles. Pushed the pickup hard (our average including stopped time was 75.1mph for the out and back portion of the trip).
Pickup had 3 adults plus the entire box filled (a full monster yeti cooler / 4 extra cases of beverages / bbq grill / suitcases / etc) ~500lbs of total gear plus people so the pickup was fully loaded and on the timbrens.
BF AT Ko2's as the tires.

With all of that the pickup eeked out a 22.8mpg average at the pump for the trip; I was totally satisfied with that, very happy. (but no 30 :))

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have 3.92 rear and have avaraged just over 30 hand calculated several times, but I have to average less than 70mph to do that. Mileage starts dropping off the faster you go obviously. These trucks are capable of 40mpg (1000 miles/tank) with an expert hypermiler driving in perfect conditions. Its been documented.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
805 Posts
These trucks are capable of 40mpg (1000 miles/tank) with an expert hypermiler driving in perfect conditions. Its been documented.
I understand the desire for good mileage, but people who hypermile are a pain in the ass and potentially dangerous for the rest of us. Speed up going down hills, slow down going up hills, never keep a constant speed. They're the reason people get frustrated and then get killed trying to pass.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I understand the desire for good mileage, but people who hypermile are a pain in the ass and potentially dangerous for the rest of us. Speed up going down hills, slow down going up hills, never keep a constant speed. They're the reason people get frustrated and then get killed trying to pass.
Are the drivers you described actually hypermiling.... or just completely daft? I think the latter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And don't forget, that the hypermilers are the ultimate in selfishness: while they get better gas mileage, everyone behind them gets worse.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don’t seem to have any problems getting around people annoy me on the road.
Passing is a pretty simple
Procedure.
There are plenty of places in the southern regions where passing is easy. Around here there is no four-lane and even passing lanes are scarce. There hills and curves everywhere. The best way for most people to get decent fuel mileage is to drive with a steady foot or cruise. Passing is often not an option.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
957 Posts
We rarely drive anywhere empty long enough to get 30+ mpg as most of our road trips have the RV TT behind us.

Last year, while at my brothers in Washington state for a week, with a mix of Hwy, Freeway, urban and city driving in there with no load, I got, hand calculated, over 31 mpg.

I thought that was very cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got 28.8 ONCE, I typically drive the same route, from home into Phoenix, this tank was almost exclusively hiway speeds (67mph)with the exception of the 1 town with 35mph limit for about 4 miles. I was using fuel from a convenience store & add 1-2 oz of HOTSHOTS SECRETS EDT, that was before the tune, since tuning I've been going to much to play around to see what I can get out of it. I will mention that the trip drops about1000' in elevation headed north, the first 50 miles I typically see 26-29 at about 75 mph, when time isn't such an issue I'll start trying to find the "sweet spot", it was about 67 mph before tuning, but the tune moved the peak hp & torque numbers a little higher in the tach.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts