RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just wrapped a 1050mile each way trip (Fargo ND to Flathead MT); entire trip was about 2500miles. Pushed the pickup hard (our average including stopped time was 75.1mph for the out and back portion of the trip).
Pickup had 3 adults plus the entire box filled (a full monster yeti cooler / 4 extra cases of beverages / bbq grill / suitcases / etc) ~500lbs of total gear plus people so the pickup was fully loaded and on the timbrens.
BF AT Ko2's as the tires.

With all of that the pickup eeked out a 22.8mpg average at the pump for the trip; I was totally satisfied with that, very happy. (but no 30 :))
Keep in mind you're probably not thinking of the wind. I live in Fargo and make the drive to Minneapolis multiple times a month and get major fluctuating MPG because of the wind. Headwind, tailwind, crosswinds all really affect us. I've driven West on i94 towards Bismarck and can be getting 26-28mpg based off the computer and then on the reverse drive I've seen it drop down to 20 mpg or less. Drive this pickup into 25-45 mph winds will kill MPGs

·
Registered
4 Posts
My trip computer has indicated 32mpg a couple of times for my 56 mile commute to work, I'll have to dig up the photos. I calculated 29 mpg on a 200+ mile trip not long after I got the truck too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The hypermiler I referred to was a guy who tried it with the base ecodiesel shortly after they came out to demonstrate the efficiency. I dont remember where I read the article but he spent a long time "burping" the tank as full as it could get, probably a little over 26 gallons, and I think even put a sign on the back of the truck indicating to other drivers what he was doing so they wouldnt get upset at him, and so I certainly wasnt endorsing trying it on your own. I think he kept it under 60 and used flat backroads in the middle of the country to try and avoid traffic, and he did claim to barely get a real 40 mpg. IIRC it was something like Denver to Sioux Falls and back in the same day.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi: All... My great MPG's are just a memory now. Down at least 5 mpg's but still running good. Nearing the end of my B-B warranty @ 100,000 kms I decided to have the last 3 recalls done. New cooler and reprogrammed... the engine idles faster causing a "Check engine" light and multiple messages from the evic. Truck's going back in on Wed. next so we'll see what they say!!! Hmmmm.
dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi: All... Was it just a "Learning process"? After a two day tow ...up and back to our Nations Capital and scan/reading and turning off the CE light there it came back on. Just now I went to move the truck and it went OUT!!! My photo memory is not as fast as the trucks "Brain drain"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
42 Posts
My trip computer has indicated 32mpg a couple of times for my 56 mile commute to work, I'll have to dig up the photos. I calculated 29 mpg on a 200+ mile trip not long after I got the truck too.
My numbers are similar to yours, as in, conditions. Driving to work regularly get over 30mpg, when in get loaded for a family trip, family of 5 + cargo I get about 28mpg.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hand calc’d 28.2 mpg on a 450 mile run from the Ohio Valley to the Carolina coast. This is a deleted 3.55 Eco with Rebel wheels and tires FWIW. Speeds consistently above 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
48 Posts
Agree with John B. Ambient temperature is a huge factor.
The pump "first click" shutoff method also differs from pump to pump. It's only accurate if you use the exact same pump.
I think that's true when filling at "full speed", so after it clicks off, I put in more at a moderate rate until it clicks off. At full rate, the gas "backs up" in the neck and shuts it off. At moderate rate, it shuts off when the level reaches the nozzle, and that should be close from pump to pump. Someone else mentioned that first click off leaves it 2-2 1/2 gallons below max. That cuts your range as well as making it harder to calculate MPG for one tank. Over many tanks, that wouldn't make much difference in the calculation. What say ye all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is an adage that .."do figures lie or do liars figure.

In this picture of my Ecodiesel - look at the distance covered...
[pictures removed]

There are mitigating circumstances in both. First picture shows all that mileage but the actual readout was overwritten many times as this just shows the final 200 miles. I have another that covers just under 200 miles and is around 32 mpg. Then this last picture is just coming back home after fueling. My overall was in the 26 -27 mpg range for the truck NOT towing.
I have a lot of trouble believing that they would use such a stupid system where MPG isn't calculated until you zero it again, like every other vehicle I've had. I'm not doubting what you people have observed, but I'd love to see an absolute proof that MPG is a rolling average. I wonder if it could be only the egular "Fuel Economy" display that is a rolling average.

Perhaps someone would be able to do an experiment like this. Let's say you zero the regular "Fuel Economy" display and one trip meter before towing for a few hundred miles, after which it will be showing MPG in the mid teens, roughly. Then you zero the other trip meter after you drop the trailer and watch the meters over 200+ miles without the trailer--hopefully not in-town miles, mostly. If the readouts are a 200 mile rolling average, all will converge somewhere above 20 MPG--hopefully above 25MPG for most of us. If it's not a rolling average, the towing miles on the main MPG display and one trip meter will never let the MPG catch up with the non-towing MPG on the other trip meter. If the MPG readings converge, that shows over how many miles the readings are rolling over.

I don't do much non-towing mileage, so I wouldn't be able to do this experiment myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's been a common belief that the trip meter mpg was a rolling average of the most recent 200mi. In my own testing, it appeared to me to be a rolling average of the most recent 400mi. I had one trip meter with thousands of miles, mpg was in the 20's. The other trip meter had recently been reset and mileage was in the teens due to towing. The mpg on the two trip meters matched once I hit 400 mi.

I can't speak to the discrepancy beyond 400mi.
Well, this looks like the answer to my question--the answer I didn't want to see. I was hoping I could make a fair estimate of towing vs non-towing MPG where there is some of each on a tank. I would have used one trip meter for the whole tank and one just for towing. It will be a while until I can take a long enough trip to do a whole tank just towing. That rolling average seems like a ridiculous thing, especially for the trip meters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
And don't forget, that the hypermilers are the ultimate in selfishness: while they get better gas mileage, everyone behind them gets worse.
Anyone who gets worse mileage driving at fuel-saving speeds does so because they can't read the situation and control their right foot. Isn't it selfish to expect everyone else to drive for your convenience?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone who gets worse mileage driving at fuel-saving speeds does so because they can't read the situation and control their right foot. Isn't it selfish to expect everyone else to drive for your convenience?
Coasting, for a mile before a turn so you don't use your brakes, slowing everyone down behind, is selfish. If you see it otherwise, then I know what category you fall into.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coasting, for a mile before a turn so you don't use your brakes, slowing everyone down behind, is selfish. If you see it otherwise, then I know what category you fall into.
That does sound extreme, but I don't see how it would hurt your fuel mileage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That does sound extreme, but I don't see how it would hurt your fuel mileage.
That's kinda' the point .... the hypermilers do that sort of activity. They let the truck coast down hills to build up speed, then they let it slow up as much as possible as it climbs the other side of a valley so that they aren't using fuel to hold speed. They start slowing down way ahead of a stop so that their fuel consumption stops earlier etc, etc. In the meantime, the people behind them who are using cruise control to try to maintain a steady speed are cursing the crap out of the hypermiler and they are looking for places to pass. Hypermilers who insist on practising their approach in traffic are not only rude, but dangerous.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I can't wait till cars have the bazooka option. Hit a button and a bazooka appears out of the sunroof and then poof, the idiot in front of you is gone.
But there's always an idiot in front of him.....and in front of him.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's kinda' the point .... the hypermilers do that sort of activity. They let the truck coast down hills to build up speed, then they let it slow up as much as possible as it climbs the other side of a valley so that they aren't using fuel to hold speed. They start slowing down way ahead of a stop so that their fuel consumption stops earlier etc, etc. In the meantime, the people behind them who are using cruise control to try to maintain a steady speed are cursing the crap out of the hypermiler and they are looking for places to pass. Hypermilers who insist on practising their approach in traffic are not only rude, but dangerous.
I assume you mean the following driver is on the gas, then the brakes, again and again. That's the only way I can see their MPG going down in that situation. It helps to assess the situation and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Hypermilers who insist on practising their approach in traffic are not only rude, but dangerous.
I don't see it as rude or dangerous. The roads are to be shared, and you adjust your driving based on the traffic. Sounds like some get way too aggressive and might need to take a step back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to agree with Bartley that the mileage is best below 60 mph. Much better mileage at 50 mph than at 70. I can get 27 mpg averaging 45 mph with the AC running.

Also have to agree with Bounty Hunter that the displayed mileage is not to be trusted for long trips. I thought I was cool by not resetting the A odometer for 32,000 miles until I realized the mpg indication jumped around so it wasn't accurate.

Two big factors affecting mileage I have noticed,
1) outside air temp below maybe 25F your mileage goes down about 3 mpg this may be due in part to winter blend fuel contains fewer BTUs
2) cranking up the AC costs about 3 or 4 mpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi: All... Was it just a "Learning process"? After a two day tow ...up and back to our Nations Capital and scan/reading and turning off the CE light there it came back on. Just now I went to move the truck and it went OUT!!! My photo memory is not as fast as the trucks "Brain drain"!!!
Hi: All... CE light came back on. Went to the Stealership right away and they determined it was the DEF injector. Took pic's to show me. Hmmmm... clogged!!! Gave it a clean out under warranty and now the Light's out... but for how long?
My mileage isn't what it used to be... but that's the least of my problemon's.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts