RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so everyone seems to say the same thing that they are impressed/love the MPG, so it appears that is certainly living up to expectations. i'm curious though, now that some of you have had your truck going on a month+, what else are you happy with? if we remove MPG from the discussion, what would impress you about your truck? also, what are you most unhappy with? if you could change anything what would it be (such as an option package)?

·
Registered
396 Posts
The uconnect works great. I love technology and am really happy with how everything works. I would be nice if it had a slight tilt toward the driver.
I wish for $50,000 it would have dual temp. also memory seats but I guess you have to spend $55k for that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seems to ride nicer than my 2009 and 2012 crew cabs. Wife concurs as well. I like the radio, I.E. functions, display and functions in this one compared to the others. Seats seem to ride a little higher as I can see over the hood better and they feel more comfortable. Interior trim is upgraded and has nicer appearance and looks snazzy for a base trim of the Tradesman. I choose the Tradesman with exterior upgrades due to the use (dogs) of the interior. Its easier to clean than the first Ram which was the equivalent of the now Outdoorsman. Wife also concurs as she used to ride with a pillow behind her back due to the angle of the lumbar in the previous 2. Pretty much an all around great truck and definitely more affordable than the other 2 big manufacturers.Just my .02...

Reactions: Andrey

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I love the quietness of the truck on the hwy, the truck is dead quiet!! my old truck was so loud... the limited seats are very very comfortable, the truck rides so smoothly almost like a car. With the airsuspension very nice. I agree the screen should be tilted a bit would be nice. The power. Is definatly more than I expected I am happy with my 355's choice. The fit and finish and attention to detail is what really blows me away, you can tell they really went through this truck and took time to do the little things right!! Only thing I'm not really happy with is the payload (but I knew that going in) and the lack of a cabin airfilter! It's really a amazing little half ton!! They are going to Sell a shit pile of these things!! One thing I would really love to see them add would be that thick stuff (paint?) that toyota puts on the lower parts of thier trucks below the doors and behind the wheels.... that stuff really takes a shit kicking and negates the need for mud flaps.... would be nice

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got the Laramie with 3.92 gears and the Diesel is quite at any speed over 15mph.There is no exhaust noise but just a little grunt from under the hood when it pulls a hill or you step on it.The engine makes just a little diesel noise when going slow in a driveway or parking lot.Just enough to let you know what's under the hood.Love it.Just right IMO.The power with the 8spd is smooth and real good up hills.Mine doesn't downshift when going down hill as I've read the gas powered 8spd's do unless I touch the brakes.Then it will until I step back on the throttle.It will continue to downshift when coming to a stop or slowing to turn onto a side road,again if you're on the brakes.Works great as it's already in a gear to accellerate without having to force a downshift like my former 2012 Hemi/6spd.Best working combo I've ever driven.I love the convienience pkg(start button,auto dim headlights,rain sensing wipers)All work well.Auto dual zone heat/AC works great as does the 8.4 nav.I got every electronic gadget and love them all.Very easy to learn and use.Also the air ride works as good as everyone has already posted.The only thing thus far I'm not happy with is the satelite reception as many others have reported.Cuts out way too often in areas where my 2012 Ram had no problems.Glad I got the CD player.If this is my only complant,thats not too bad as I am very aware of things don't work as I'd like them to.My advice would be to buy as much truck as you can afford.It will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Laramie CC 4x4,
Love the : Ride
Power band
Noise level
Entertainment center

My ONLY gripe, and this will sound stupid, the chrome trim bezel around the center console. No matter where the sun is, this thing reflects directly in the drivers eyes!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love the quite cab, smoothness of the ride (it rides better than the wife's Honda Pilot Touring), crisp steering and goes in out out of turns smoothly. You have to watch the tach to know the transmission is even shifting as I have never own such a smooth shifting vehicle. It is just a great all around vehicle. I also love the heated steering wheel and seat as this is what sold me on this truck and I did not wait for a Larimie to show on a lot. The uconnect is great and just what all the writers state as one of the best systems out. The voice commands are easy to use and love the hands free phone although the ring still scares me when all of a sudden I hear Ronald Reagan coming through the radio. Love my truck and can't wait to go on some trips in it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
so everyone seems to say the same thing that they are impressed/love the MPG, so it appears that is certainly living up to expectations. i'm curious though, now that some of you have had your truck going on a month+, what else are you happy with? if we remove MPG from the discussion, what would impress you about your truck? also, what are you most unhappy with? if you could change anything what would it be (such as an option package)?
The ride - Features (Laramie loaded without air suspension or ram box) - UConnect (freakin awesome) - The color Granite over Silver - Getting flagged down by a driver in a F350 diesel to ask me how I like it! - Air conditioned seats in Houston, TX where it was 87 degrees today. Getting $100 for a sold referral to my sales person - THE CHROME! - Sorry but above all the mileage (the first 500 miles of combined driving produced 25.6 mpg. There is nothing I am unhappy with. Since I ordered it exactly the way I wanted, there is nothing I would change.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
I do NOT like technology so all the fancy computer stuff, radio, controls, buttons and that automatic transmission turn me off big time. That key fob thing is also a pain and remember...never trust a diesel with one battery.

On the plus side it sure rides a lot nicer than my old 2500. Can't understand why my wife does not like the ride but she doesn't. I'm not a fan of those rear coil springs. Not sure why though.

Power is reasonable and the truck is way faster than my old truck on acceleration and top speed. I like the low rpm at speed I'm getting with the 3.55's. The tailgate is super light compared to my old one. You can keep that flat spot on the top though. Nice to see the grill does not come up with the hood. Not nice to have to jump up just to grab that hood. The aluminum hood is also prone to denting. Don't ask me how I know. Just stop showing others what's under the hood and/or let them slam the thing down.

That emissions stuff, with DEF tank, is crap. Simple as that. When it and the computer stuff breaks it's gonna break twice - both it and your bank.

Nice paint and finish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Like how quiet the motor is. Uconnect is awesome, the customizable gage cluster is awesome, and the heated steering wheel is worth the price of the truck alone. Air suspension has been really useful as well.

I still hate that I couldn't get paint matched bumper/grille/door handles on my laramie. It would be nice if some of the trim fastener covers fit a little better too. I'm also concerned with the price of oil changes and the rate at which it is consuming def.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My only complaint is the chrome grille and chrome mirrors on my Laramie. I hope to change them out as soon as I can get around to it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can't speak for BigEcoD but the chrome grill is a bit much for me.The design is OK,so I might try painting it black or maybe Duplicolors black chrome on the inserts only.If all else fails I'll switch the inserts to the Sports type.They look good to me.Only a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Like how quiet the motor is. Uconnect is awesome, the customizable gage cluster is awesome, and the heated steering wheel is worth the price of the truck alone. Air suspension has been really useful as well.

I still hate that I couldn't get paint matched bumper/grille/door handles on my laramie. It would be nice if some of the trim fastener covers fit a little better too. I'm also concerned with the price of oil changes and the rate at which it is consuming def.
How many miles and how much DEF have you used? I only have 400 miles but the DEF gauge is still pegged at 100%. I just wonder if it was really full?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just received my truck today and took the family for a quick ride. It was great, 4 adult size people can ride in plenty of comfort, no lack of power, it was quiet and it has lot of great toys to play with so needless to say I’m really pleased with it. This is my first truck since I got rid of my Toyota T100 4x4 ( I loved that truck) when the kids came around. There is one thing that kind of puzzled me though; it has a standard non retractable antenna. Why didn't they put one in the window or at least put a power antenna on it. I know that sounds petty but I upgraded sound system and that screams cheap to me. I’m looking forward to playing around with it tomorrow and then in May I’m going to take it on a 3400 mile trip.
Lonestar.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
How many miles and how much DEF have you used? I only have 400 miles but the DEF gauge is still pegged at 100%. I just wonder if it was really full?
My ? too.My def needle has moved just the width of it in 5oo miles.Thats while getting 24mpg breaking the motor in with lots of short,cold,hilly trips and several 1/4-1/2 throttle take offs(after a complete warm up and some miles of course).Real happy with everything about this engine so far.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have 3000miles on it now. I made sure the def tank was full when I took delivery of the truck. In the first 2000 miles, the gage was reading 1/2 tank. I put 2.5 gallons in it, and it is now back at the 1/2 tank mark.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just picked mine up today the truck itself is very nice fit and finish is good lots of cool features and the air suspension is sweet. I liked the 25 mpg on the 500 mile drive home on the interstate. I was also surprised at the power a little lag but once things are moving it gets right along and plenty of torque to stay in 8th gear even on some fairly long steep grades. I drove from Caldwell Idaho to Green River WY and it only downshifted a couple times into 7th because of the grade. BTW my girlfriends Suzuki SX4 only managed 28 mpg on the same trip back following me.

Reactions: AZDZRTFOX
1 - 18 of 18 Posts