RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing some posts about almost getting hit when pulling into traffic or getting T-boned at intersections, or having difficulty merging after the AEM. All I can say after laughing a little is are you really serious? If so, I'm going to suggest a little practice driving before driving on public roads.:)

I don't think it's fair to share the road with other drivers under these circumstances. It's not fair to jeopardize the safety of others if you need to relearn driving skills. I'm thinking it might be as simple as anticipating your actions and pressing the accelerator pedal a little further downward. If that doesn't work perhaps a little practice driving one of the following vehicles:

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
Toyota Yaris. ...
Toyota Prius. ...
Chevrolet Spark. ...
Smart Fortwo. ...
Toyota Prius C. Here's another Prius on the list. ...
Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

After just a few miles in one of the above referenced vehicles you will think your Ram (with the Approved Emissions Modification) is a rocket ship.:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
:rolleyes: I hear many of these talking about stomping on the pedal, all the way to the mat.
I know that my pure stock runs and pulls stronger if I DO NOT MAT it, if I roll into the throttle,
then backoff as I get to 3000 rpm and roll into again and repeat the truck will accelerate well.
It's not an high rpm horsepower making motor, it is a torque producing one in the mid range,
1500 to 2500 rpm.
So bring it up to 3000 back out to shift back into to run up again back off to shift, it sure as heck is not a damned race truck. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm seeing some posts about almost getting hit when pulling into traffic or getting T-boned at intersections, or having difficulty merging after the AEM. All I can say after laughing a little is are you really serious? If so, I'm going to suggest a little practice driving before driving on public roads.:)

I don't think it's fair to share the road with other drivers under these circumstances. It's not fair to jeopardize the safety of others if you need to relearn driving skills. I'm thinking it might be as simple as anticipating your actions and pressing the accelerator pedal a little further downward. If that doesn't work perhaps a little practice driving one of the following vehicles:

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
Toyota Yaris. ...
Toyota Prius. ...
Chevrolet Spark. ...
Smart Fortwo. ...
Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

After just a few miles in one of the above referenced vehicles you will think your Ram (with the Approved Emissions Modification) is a rocket ship.:D
I just traded in my Spark...and let me tell you...there is nothing slower off the line than that 1.2l....lol

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I put a hundred thousand miles on my 1980 Dodge D150 regular cab 8'box plain Jane 2 wd truck with an AM radio, air conditioning and an upgrade from the 3 speed on the tree to a four speed manual and a second fuel tank. The four speed was like a 3 on the tree with third as direct and 4th was an overdrive. The engine was a single barrel 105 hp 225 cu in Slant six. I never got into a crash with it. I towed 2 vehicles from Bakersfield in California to Wisconsin with it. Both on their wheels. ONe was a Dodge Dart and one was a 1958 Power wagon. DIdn't get to use fourth at all when towing and starting on a hill was a bit of a problem but the clutch was pretty tough. I went up the Grapevine with it numerous times and learned it wasn't good to do so with both fuel tanks full since if you had to shift out of third into second you were stuck grinding up the hill at 40 or so with the engine spinning pretty fast. I will say that low powered vehicles relative to their load make you drive much more attentively.

All the best,

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
Toyota Yaris. ...
Toyota Prius. ...
Chevrolet Spark. ...
Smart Fortwo. ...
Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

Decided to wait until the German Enigma Machine code is cracked by the Green Team so have delayed the AEM however, after reading all the horrifying pedal post seems my truck is now another dog :cool:

Perhaps 'AEM forum placebo effect'? Seems to be creeping up like the other 'Bump In The Road - Lost a Bearing placebo' effect too...

·
Administrator
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Babydiezel, Let me be clear. I am not questioning other people concerning any difference after the AEM. I'm simply poking fun at those who say they almost got in an accident because of it. It's all in fun and hope you understand. Please don't be annoyed. You didn't have to delete your post. I have thick skin.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I owned a 72 Peugeot 504 Diesel early on in my life. A Non-turbo diesel with a 3 speed auto that made 54 HP in a 3000 lb car. You couldn't even pull out on an uphill incline, let alone merge.
I think you will win the prize in the gutless wonder category. At least the Bug and the Renault Dauphine were light weight so their meager hp has less to do.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Ford Fiesta 1.0L. ...
Toyota Yaris. ...
Toyota Prius. ...
Chevrolet Spark. ...
Smart Fortwo. ...
Mitsubishi Mirage G4S

I agree with you, but you are barking against the wind. Most of the people with this "problem" wouldn't be happy with a Tesla with a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. They don't know how to drive or care to learn. That goes for about 50% of the idiots I have to drive around on the way to work and home each day. Then there is the way they drive around people towing trailers. Then there is the dolts who think their souped up Ford power dump with a massive 5-wheel trailer is suppose to drive like a 1/2 truck with no load in the back.

Then there is the State of Michigan cars/trucks and their drivers.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Ahhh the woe is me exaggerated world we live in, don't you just love it!

When I read something like that it immediately discredits anything else they have to say.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only had one unexpected instance where the truck reacted completely different than I'm used to. I've put about 200 miles on it since, and the truck is acting the same as before the AEM.

·
Registered
864 Posts
97hmcs, I know you're only having fun but my limited experience with the AEM is horrible with a cold engine (summer cold, I can't imagine what it will be like in the winter). If one was an aggressive driver and started the truck from cold and pulled out into traffic it would feel like the truck almost stalls and would definitely cause some tire screeching from the approaching traffic.

I do believe that FCA is in violation of the terms of our agreement in that the vehicle performance and driving characteristics have been negatively impacted and as such expect another round of class action once many people have V08 applied.

"The AEM is not expected to change any of the key vehicle attributes, such as average fuel economy, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, engine noise or vibration, or other driving characteristics."

·
Administrator
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill, Hopefully FCA can get it fixed for you and the others with the same issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You want a lack of performance? Drive a truck powered by a 238 horsepower 2 stroke Detroit loaded to 78,000 pounds with a 7 speed trans and a 5% grade. It still figures to weight to horsepower. The transmission gets you the torque to move a load.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a followup on the less than stellar throttle response following the AEM "V08/V11 upgrade" on my 2016 ED. I received a call from a FCA Chrysler rep today about my (and many others too) systemic throttle response issue. She is following up with the dealer to schedule time for the service dept. to run diagnostics on the truck, I'm guessing to get a baseline or see where the problem lies. I'll keep you informed as to where this goes and whether it progresses to an acceptable end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts