RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Popped open alfa and forced the regen, never showed on dash that it was doing it but Torque did. After a few miles showed 9% filled.
That was my experience as well. No indication on the dash that something was going on. Like you, I monitored the regen process on my Torque app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's interesting to me that so many people are always talking about and dealing with this regen issue. I bought my Ram Laramie crew cab Ecodiesel new in 2015. I have sixty two thousand miles on it now and have never had any regen messages or issues with the truck. I change oil and filter every six thousand miles and new fuel filter every second oil change. It is on its third air filter since new and second set of tires. Other than what I have stated all I do is put diesel in, keep it washed ,waxed and keep the interior clean like new. I love this truck and plan on hanging on to it for many more miles. So my question is what's the deal with this regen issue so many are talking about. By the way it is a two wheel drive with a 3.55 rear end limited slip and I get 25 miles per gallon every day driving and on a good strait highway at 70 mph I will get 30 mpg. Pulling my 34 foot rockwood trailer with two slide out it will average 13 to 14.5 mpg depending on road conditions, it is stock without any engine add on's of any kind.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Welcome to the site Dal , when I joined in 2015 there was a woman who had a Ecodiesel ,
she had horses to move around from one of her stables to another , just 5 miles apart
and she got the message more than once , had to get the dealer to do the regens more than once , until
it was explained to her how it all worked , she was nice enough to share with all of us ,
that was good info for me , I had just retired and then had a lot of short trips compared to when I was working
so the monitoring of the soot level is essential , then a GDE tune would make it a non-issue with the regens
being so far apart ,
or maybe I'm just a control freak ...or a fan of the toys like the monitors , ...:p

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Welcome to the site rhino883 , research alfaOBD ( or alpha OBD )
less expensive method to actually configure what you want and a long , very long list of other
options .
here is one thread that talks about the alfa stuff , it starts talking about the appcar app , ( which will do what you are asking for )
... BUT then in post # 85 Domino starts to talk about the alpha stuff : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-tuning/59846-bcm-programming-5.html

enjoy the read , lots of info ....

AlfaOBD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alpha OBD work with ecodiesel but can we make the regeneration if the % is 100% and it's said to go to the dealer? I have the code P2463 DPF restrict-soot accumulation and i can't make the regeneration manualy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
A regen is neither good or bad - it is a normal part of running truck. When the DPF gets to a certain percent full the truck automatically does a regen. Regens use extra fuel so hurts mileage. If your DPGF gets above a certain percentage full it will tell you to go to dealer for a forced regen. If you can force your own you can do it on your schedule with no cost. But in 110,000 miles on my 2015 I've never seen a regen message.

Reactions: pjordan4477

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,630 Posts
Alpha OBD work with ecodiesel but can we make the regeneration if the % is 100% and it's said to go to the dealer? I have the code P2463 DPF restrict-soot accumulation and i can't make the regeneration manualy.
There is an option in AlfaOBD to do a stationary regeneration also. It's possible you may have a problem with a temperature sensor or the DPF pressure sensor, in either case the truck may not do a regen if commanded.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What OBD bluetooth scanners are you all using with this? I was going to purchase the BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro for $100 but I see there is a BAFX Products one for $23... I have been meaning to upgrade my OBD scanner anyways so this next one I purchase I will be using exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
What OBD bluetooth scanners are you all using with this?
Either the OBDLink MX+ or MX, You can't go wrong with either version, and a lot of app developers (including AlfaOBD) use them while developing the apps.
The only differences between the two is the MX+ is supposed to be slightly faster, it comes with Advance Diagnostics add on, and is compatible with iOS.
I've used the MX version for a few year now with the Torque App for engine monitoring, there isn't a problem with the speed.
No matter which OBD reader you use, be sure to lock the CANbus comm protocol to: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11bit/500k baud)

OBDLink MX+: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/
OBDLink MX: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Interesting. Seems like a good option to be able to force a regen...but, I've had my truck for 2 years now and never felt that I needed to do a forced regen.

I would guess that if you don't have the tune and get the message that you have to continue driving to do the regen often it would be helpful to do it on your own terms and not have it happen just as your getting home or to work ect.
This feature is useful if for some reason you get a dog 90% full see dealer message.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Either the OBDLink MX+ or MX, You can't go wrong with either version, and a lot of app developers (including AlfaOBD) use them while developing the apps.
The only differences between the two is the MX+ is supposed to be slightly faster, it comes with Advance Diagnostics add on, and is compatible with iOS.
I've used the MX version for a few year now with the Torque App for engine monitoring, there isn't a problem with the speed.
No matter which OBD reader you use, be sure to lock the CANbus comm protocol to: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11bit/500k baud)

OBDLink MX+: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/
OBDLink MX: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/
Is there any difference between these and this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4T...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It cost more than the OBDLInk MX+
I think there are few people on this forum that use that one also.
Most of the apps from the manufacturer of the OBD reader usually sorta sucks and you'll find yourself using third part apps instead.
So basically there is no difference other than the one I linked is 3X the price because of the manufacturer name?

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,022 Posts
What OBD bluetooth scanners are you all using with this? I was going to purchase the BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro for $100 but I see there is a BAFX Products one for $23... I have been meaning to upgrade my OBD scanner anyways so this next one I purchase I will be using exclusively.
That was my question too since I already have the Lemur Blue Driver. It's app works well enough, but there isn't any way to change any settings but to clear codes, but for monitoring engine functions it does OK.

I'm just going to get the AlphaPro app and plow away and see what happens. I can buy a different BT dongle later if need be. I would like to be able to change tire diameter, I went from 265's to 275, it's about 1.5% off.

And of course, being able to force a regen is a pretty cool deal in itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That was my question too since I already have the Lemur Blue Driver. It's app works well enough, but there isn't any way to change any settings but to clear codes, but for monitoring engine functions it does OK.

I'm just going to get the AlphaPro app and plow away and see what happens. I can buy a different BT dongle later if need be. I would like to be able to change tire diameter, I went from 265's to 275, it's about 1.5% off.

And of course, being able to force a regen is a pretty cool deal in itself.
Seems like BlueDriver's software is pretty cool, but it doesn't allow any 3rd party apps like Crash68 mentioned?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It cost more than the OBDLInk MX+
I think there are few people on this forum that use that one also.
Most of the apps from the manufacturer of the OBD reader usually sorta sucks and you'll find yourself using third part apps instead.
Does the MX+ have anything over what bounty uses for $32?
If I researched correctly, both of those will work will almost all 3rd party apps, but I think the Veepeak doesn't come with software and you have to use 3rd party apps; whereas, the MX+ has a standalone software that comes with it? Maybe that is the price difference?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts