RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,630 Posts
Does the MX+ have anything over what bounty uses for $32?
I know the OBDLink MX/MX+ is capable of reading the medium and high speed data busses used by other automobile manufacturers. The OBDLink are also firmware upgradeable.

There have been some reports of other OBD dongles not being able to access everything (modules other than the BCM) that AlfaOBD can communicate with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does the MX+ have anything over what bounty uses for $32? /QUOTE]
I know the OBDLink MX/MX+ is capable of reading the medium and high speed data busses used by other automobile manufacturers. The OBDLink are also firmware upgradeable.

There have been some reports of other OBD dongles not being able to access everything (modules other than the BCM) that AlfaOBD can communicate with.
Thanks for the response. Should be here in 2 days prime shipping lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that blows.. looks like I'll have to get it for my PC. I wonder if the company is trying to make an IOS compatible app.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Well that blows.. looks like I'll have to get it for my PC. I wonder if the company is trying to make an IOS compatible app.
There has been mention of AlfaOBD being brought to iOS but no time line has been announced.
Another option for AlfaOBD is to buy a cheap Amazon Fire 7 tablet and load the Google PlayStore on it. I have a Fire tablet set up and it works well. There are instructions all over the net, just Google it.
AlfaOBD can be used for vehicle diagnostics and monitoring, so it's handy to have with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There has been mention of AlfaOBD being brought to iOS but no time line has been announced.
Another option for AlfaOBD is to buy a cheap Amazon Fire 7 tablet and load the Google PlayStore on it. I have a Fire tablet set up and it works well. There are instructions all over the net, just Google it.
AlfaOBD can be used for vehicle diagnostics and monitoring, so it's handy to have with you.
This is an email from AlfaOBD:
Hello,

iOS version is in plans for some time already, sorry I can't promise anything about the availability date now.

Best regards,
Alexey Chernikov
AlfaOBD

So looks like I'll go with you idea! Now I'm debating whether I should get and Edge cts3 or the AlfaOBD w/ the needed equipment to have a monitor. I really want to track gauges and temps that's why I'm leaning towards Edge. Does AlfaOBD allow me to track temp gauges, soot %, etc?

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
So looks like I'll go with you idea! Now I'm debating whether I should get and Edge cts3 or the AlfaOBD w/ the needed equipment to have a monitor. I really want to track gauges and temps that's why I'm leaning towards Edge. Does AlfaOBD allow me to track temp gauges, soot %, etc?
I know you can use AlfaOBD to monitor vehicle parameters but your probably better off using the Torque App(Pro version is $5) to set up a dash board of gauges to watch. I run that on my Fire tablet also, I believe the iOS equivalent is called Fusion. The Edge units is more of a semi permanent install. I usually only monitor consistently if I'm towing, other than that I don't worry about watching temps, soot, etc.
If you buy the Bluetooth OBDLink be sure to get the MX+ version as it's compatable with iOS
There is a thread on the Torque App, the custom PIDs are compatible with Fusion also. [OFFICIAL] Torque Pro App thread

·
Registered
291 Posts
The MX+ comes with an app that I use to monitor parameters and also it will connect with AlphaOBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know you can use AlfaOBD to monitor vehicle parameters but your probably better off using the Torque App(Pro version is $5) to set up a dash board of gauges to watch. I run that on my Fire tablet also, I believe the iOS equivalent is called Fusion. The Edge units is more of a semi permanent install. I usually only monitor consistently if I'm towing, other than that I don't worry about watching temps, soot, etc.
If you buy the Bluetooth OBDLink be sure to get the MX+ version as it's compatable with iOS
There is a thread on the Torque App, the custom PIDs are compatible with Fusion also. [OFFICIAL] Torque Pro App thread
The MX+ comes with an app that I use to monitor parameters and also it will connect with AlphaOBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, I wont be towing alot and the only thing I need is to check soot % since I do alot of city driving. My must have is the ability to regen when I want to. Base on what I have been reading, I don't think Fusion or Torque have the ability to besides AlfaOBD and Edge. I think I will go for AlfaOBD with the MT+, Edge is just too pricey and doesn't have the ability to access all the cool feature you can unlock on your truck like AlfaOBD can.

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
To be honest, I wont be towing alot and the only thing I need is to check soot % since I do alot of city driving. My must have is the ability to regen when I want to. Base on what I have been reading, I don't think Fusion or Torque have the ability to besides AlfaOBD and Edge. I think I will go for AlfaOBD with the MT+
I just suggested to use the Torque App as it connects and gets to the monitoring with basically two clicks(one to open the app, the other to select RealTime Information). You can even select how the gauges are arranged and what type of gauge. I find Torque really easy to monitor on the fly.
You probably won't have to force a regen as much as you think.
To force a regen with AlfaOBD, the truck has to be on but the engine not running then turned off and the door opened(next drive cycle). I've done this when I know the regen is close and I'm headed home. Once I restart the truck I'll fire up Torque and watch the EGTB1S1, EGTB1S3 and DPF% on the ride home. The truck is officially in active Regen when the EGTB1S3 hits 1000°F and is done when the DPF% drops to 9.4%. Give yourself a good 8-10 miles on the freeway at a consistent speed to complete a regen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just suggested to use the Torque App as it connects and gets to the monitoring with basically two clicks(one to open the app, the other to select RealTime Information). You can even select how the gauges are arranged and what type of gauge. I find Torque really easy to monitor on the fly.
You probably won't have to force a regen as much as you think.
To force a regen with AlfaOBD, the truck has to be on but the engine not running then turned off and the door opened(next drive cycle). I've done this when I know the regen is close and I'm headed home. Once I restart the truck I'll fire up Torque and watch the EGTB1S1, EGTB1S3 and DPF% on the ride home. The truck is officially in active Regen when the EGTB1S3 hits 1000°F and is done when the DPF% drops to 9.4%. Give yourself a good 8-10 miles on the freeway at a consistent speed to complete a regen.
Crash,

I think that's what I'll do. I get the AlfaOBD with a fire tablet and MT+. Thanks for helping out!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Cheap suloution for forcing a driving regeneration is now available with android.
Just to clarify, there are two types of 'forced' regens, right?

Type 1 - The user gets a notification on the dash that says to take the truck up to highway speeds.
Type 2 - No matter what you do, there is a problem and the screen says take to dealer.

Will this work in both circumstances?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
^ yes alfa obd will perform a regen either way. Parked regen or it will put the truck in the regen mode for next drive cycle regen. Only time you won't be able to do a regen is if there is a problem with dpf system. Example a bad temp sensor on the dpf.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Quick questions guys,

Can I use the Alfa obd app with my GDE tune? Will it mess up the tune?
Yes, and it will not mess up the tune. I use the app and I have GDE ecm and trans tunes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wait, as I've read these threads, I was getting the feeling Regen was bad...explain why its good?
the regen isn't bad, it just wastes a lot of fuel to super heat the exhaust and incinerate the diesel particulate in the filter. What's bad is the creation of soot in the first place and only because the soot is recirculated through the EGR, into the intake after it's cooled. all of those things are the exact opposite of measures you'd take for an engine to last long. nobody in their right mind would take exhaust and use it for intake air unless they were simply trying to make the air cleaner.

what I do, is run an additive that increases the cetane, causes earlier ignition and generates more heat in the combustion chamber which reduces soot to start with and keeps the entire circular mess from being worse than it would be otherwise.... I'm not inclined to do the egr modifications but if we have better fuel, we'd have far less emissions problems because the engines would burn cleaner to begin with.

so if you can keep the creation of soot down then you will have less egr demands and less DPF regenerations :)

the problem with "better fuel" in the context of running hotter with less soot is as we know, it generates less power. rich, sooty, low cetane fuel is denser and generates more power. so you can hack off the EGR and pump out tons of soot and power or give up some power and keep the egr on run it cleaner.

·
Administrator
8,907 Posts
Wait, as I've read these threads, I was getting the feeling Regen was bad...explain why its good?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts