RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems some motors have been destroyed and need to be replaced. Gee ... where did that come from?

Think there's a recall to replace EGR mounting bolts. Some are shearing off, going into the cylinders and "putting paid" to them. Parts are long backordered. When dealers get the parts there are mistakes. Owners that have problems are pleased if they old bolts are there and not sucked into the engines.

Want to read more? Think there's 26 pages on the issue in the Diesel F150 Forum.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not that any F150 Diesel owner would consider such a thing, but are the EGR/SCR deletes and tunes as common as in the ecodiesel, or is it too early and under development?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Honestly, the 6.7L Powerstrokes haven't had a perfect record either. My brother has a F250 , hates it. It has no gauge for DEF level and he is always having to tow it to the dealer. I wonder if the 3L Ford diesel that has been used in Europe had all the smog controls as US/Canada spec trucks?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
What is the site? I'd love to go read about them some more, always enjoy reading about new vehicles.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the site? I'd love to go read about them some more, always enjoy reading about new vehicles.
Might get into "trouble" doing this. Here's the link. Did not open this morning but yesterday it has talk of three or more engine replacements and multiple problem issues. I am NOT remotely interested in that engine because of the pricing and the timing belts used in its' design. Have really not paid any real attention to problems they might have until I saw this mess.

https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/490-3-0l-v6-diesel/1742-fsa-18e02-egr-pass-valve-replacement.html

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Might get into "trouble" doing this. Here's the link. Did not open this morning but yesterday it has talk of three or more engine replacements and multiple problem issues. I am NOT remotely interested in that engine because of the pricing and the timing belts used in its' design. Have really not paid any real attention to problems they might have until I saw this mess.

https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/490-3-0l-v6-diesel/1742-fsa-18e02-egr-pass-valve-replacement.html
Thanks Capt. I found it on google. Did some reading. Looks like this place did a few years ago. Big post about what oil to use/is approved etc. I wonder if they find out what we did that while ram originally wanted us to use some high $ Euro spec oil traditional 5w-40's work great and according to folks with insider info. the engine was actually designed and built on 15w40 lol gotta hate auto makers.

According to what they are saying on that forum they list a 5w-30 and a 10w30 and say you have to use that with a big long spec# behind it.... but if you run bio fuel or severe duty service a ck4 5w-40 is ok lol, so the 5w-40 would be more than ok all the time and save you a boat load to boot.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife is a Ford fan. Shh...don't say it loudly. Well today we were out in my truck and I mentioned that the new Ford diesels were having EGR trouble.

She actually knew what that was. Surprised the heck out of me. Then she says it's a shame that kind of thing is on both gas and diesel engines. "Out of the mouths of babes sometimes comes more than pablum".

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks Capt. I found it on google. Did some reading. Looks like this place did a few years ago. Big post about what oil to use/is approved etc. I wonder if they find out what we did that while ram originally wanted us to use some high $ Euro spec oil traditional 5w-40's work great and according to folks with insider info. the engine was actually designed and built on 15w40 lol gotta hate auto makers.
CAFE standards were a government invention, not auto mfrs. Blame your neighbors. It's the voters that feel it's reasonable for the government to decide what you can and cannot buy.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
CAFE standards were a government invention, not auto mfrs. Blame your neighbors. It's the voters that feel it's reasonable for the government to decide what you can and cannot buy.
I live in Texas weren’t my neighbors lol

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Boy, that didn't take long!
Not shocked at all. Just the beginning too... Ford diesels suck nowadays. Cummins and Duramax beat them in terms of reliability. Bunch of friends have 250s,. 350s and 450s. All throw injectors due to crap hardware and mounting design. EGR problems, electrical issues, blown turbos.

Not impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My wife is a Ford fan. Shh...don't say it loudly. Well today we were out in my truck and I mentioned that the new Ford diesels were having EGR trouble.

She actually knew what that was. Surprised the heck out of me. Then she says it's a shame that kind of thing is on both gas and diesel engines. "Out of the mouths of babes sometimes comes more than pablum".
Hi: Captainmal... My trouble with "Henry" is that he tells his suppliers "How much" he'll pay them for the parts to make his vehicles.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I joined the Ford 3.0 Powerstroke group on bookface out of curiosity. There's a few posts with people complaining about the engine/truck, with a recent one about their ongoing EGR recall. one of the owners even stated they had issues before they left the dealership lot- and were told to schedule a service appointment to get it fixed before leaving!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep, never saw this coming...… I am wondering, above and beyond having emissions devices on these trucks, if that the components themselves are just poorly manufactured. Quality is currently a race to the bottom.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Doesn't surprise me one bit. The only engine to own with the F150 is the 5 liter IMO. I'm sure you would fight this timing belt car diesel from basically day one. A coworker of mines basically brand new 2.7 ecoboost 2018 F150 with 6000 km has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now. Developed a misfire and they don't know how to fix it. She just got the thing brand new in January. This 3 liter diesel would be even more complicated than that and the dealers might even be more clueless about it and this point.

Maybe this new generation of emissions equipment will make diesel ownership less complicated. Ecodiesel version 2.0 or the new GM straight 6 might be promising.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doesn't surprise me one bit. The only engine to own with the F150 is the 5 liter IMO. I'm sure you would fight this timing belt car diesel from basically day one. A coworker of mines basically brand new 2.7 ecoboost 2018 F150 with 6000 km has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now. Developed a misfire and they don't know how to fix it. She just got the thing brand new in January. This 3 liter diesel would be even more complicated than that and the dealers might even be more clueless about it and this point.

Maybe this new generation of emissions equipment will make diesel ownership less complicated. Ecodiesel version 2.0 or the new GM straight 6 might be promising.
At my hunting camp right now. Neighbor here had his 5.0 l F150 engine come apart at 62k. Out of warranty. Just never know.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Captain, should take her to the Ford dealer for a test drive. Drive a loop in your Ram first and see what it gets for mpgs. I drove about 30 miles on the highway at 65 mph, my Ram got 31 mpgs. Then drove the $68,000 Ford the same speed, same loop. 21 mpg. 10 mpg lower, also a GDE tuned Ram will clean the Ford's clock. I should have brought a decibel meter, but the Ford is as quiet as the Ram, Ram seats are better and Ram rides slightly better. Bet she will like the Ram's dash/instruments better. Glad I bought the Ram. I believe their spec oil is 5W30 , already guys asking about using 5W40 T6....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts