RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh I guess they all come apart sometimes no matter what the brand. I've heard of a F250 with the 6.2 doing that too barely over warranty. I was surprised to hear that it's their commercial gas engine. I think it was a pretty rare thing though.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No test ride with wife. She reads womans’ magazines. No clue what would be on dash. Pocket in door for magazine and mirror to put on her face.

All she needs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
EGR issues with all newer diesels? Say it isn't so! No one could have predicted this...
In watching a review of the F150 Diesel on a youtube channel, apparently this isn't a new engine at all. It's been used in Landrovers for years now. Having catastrophic EGR issues doesn't bode well for an engine that's been in production for some time.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Land Rover's version has one EGR per side. Not heard of any issues at Land Rover USA with their set up.
Doubt they have very many on the road. Most are short term low mileage leases.

Let's see how those things do when the f150 crowd beats on em.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In watching a review of the F150 Diesel on a youtube channel, apparently this isn't a new engine at all. It's been used in Landrovers for years now. Having catastrophic EGR issues doesn't bode well for an engine that's been in production for some time.
That's why I said "newer" (diesels with all the emissions, like dpf, scr, egr, etc). The version in the F150 is a "new" design, based off the "old" land rover version but basically sharing just the block from what I understand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe the moral of the story is that all of these small, moderns diesels are unreliable. The Ecodiesel sure is far from perfect, the 2.8 Duramax is getting a reputation for eating turbos and motors blowing up stock. Liberty CRD is a raging piece of crap by anyone's standards and didnt even have most of this emissions stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe the moral of the story is that all of these small, moderns diesels are unreliable. The Ecodiesel sure is far from perfect, the 2.8 Duramax is getting a reputation for eating turbos and motors blowing up stock. Liberty CRD is a raging piece of crap by anyone's standards and didnt even have most of this emissions stuff.
I wouldn't say that new diesels are unreliable. The majority of owners don't have major issues at all. The Ecodiesel has a <6% failure rate, Ford's 3.0 issues are primarily due to EGR- granted, it hasn't been in the F150 very long- and while the GM 2.8 has some issues I couldn't find a quantifiable failure rate. The common issue for all these engines are related to emissions, which has been the problem in diesels for roughly the last 15 years.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Doubt they have very many on the road. Most are short term low mileage leases.

Let's see how those things do when the f150 crowd beats on em.
Not many in the US but they've put the engine in its current form and it's early version (2.7) into around 200k units worldwide in the last decade.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts