RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost track of all the EcoDiesel reviews but I think this one is new: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel First Drive - Diesel Debut.

They took a loaded Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with stock 20" tires into moderate off-road situations:

"During mostly off-road testing, the truck returned 18 mpg, which we think is great for a fullsize truck in those conditions. Overall, we were impressed at the ability to harness the power of the EcoDiesel and finesse it in off-road situations, while at the same time having the power on tap for heavy-footed wheeling."​

I was surprised they didn't mention the 4-corner air suspension.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sometimes the word "finesse" is meant as a nice way of saying "under powered"... Overall good comments..... and off road is one place the 4 corner air would shine. Altho if a guy spends 45,000 on a rig, how many are going to take it trail busting through the woods? Fire roads and open places, sure, hunting and fishing sure.. but hard core off roading/// not me !

·
Registered
366 Posts
It doesn't mention which rear end they used. I'm pretty sure the offroad MPG wouldnt change much but the "finesse vs force" would change. As for the finesse thing being interpreted as "underpowered", here is the context it was is:

The EcoDiesel makes very good power, especially the impressive, V-8-like 420 lb-ft of torque, but we wondered how controlled it would be off-road. After all, there are times when finesse, and not brute power, is needed. Turns out, Ram did a fantastic job with throttle calibration and low rpm engine control.
Doesn't make it sound underpowered, makes it sound overpowered but controllable.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes the word "finesse" is meant as a nice way of saying "under powered"... Overall good comments..... and off road is one place the 4 corner air would shine. Altho if a guy spends 45,000 on a rig, how many are going to take it trail busting through the woods? Fire roads and open places, sure, hunting and fishing sure.. but hard core off roading/// not me !
I expect it to have plenty of power for the common off-road situations I encounter in the backcountry. Common sense and finesse get me farther than power. My biggest challenges will be learning to handle the Ram's size and weight. There will be some scratches and dings, just hope I don't break anything.

It doesn't mention which rear end they used. I'm pretty sure the offroad MPG wouldnt change much but the "finesse vs force" would change...
The truck they used had 3.55. (Click on LOAD MORE near the bottom to see the full article.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I expect it to have plenty of power for the common off-road situations I encounter in the backcountry. Common sense and finesse get me farther than power. My biggest challenges will be learning to handle the Ram's size and weight. There will be some scratches and dings, just hope I don't break anything.

The truck they used had 3.55. (Click on LOAD MORE near the bottom to see the full article.)
I have several clients that are so rural that they're on roads they have to maintain themselves in winter so they wait until the snow stops. I got the 3.92 diff and I'm thinking it'll be a tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts