RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having Bilstein 5100's set at 2.8 installed on the front of my 2015 Outdoorsman next week. At 50k miles I figured I would the rears replaced as well.

I was hoping someone could share their experience as to what model would be beyter for my needs. This truck is my daily driver(work/kids/errands). I have Timber Grove airbags and tow a Travel Trailer and like to go adventuring to lakes on forestry and fire roads (light 4x4).

I wasn't sure if I should match the fronts and put Bilstein 5100's or go with the "stiffer" Fox 2.0's for towing and full cab bed load.

The found the price for either is almost identical so I'm not concerned with price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im going in next week for bilsteins front at 2.1 and rears. Then having them install timbrens for weight.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Im going in next week for bilsteins front at 2.1 and rears. Then having them install timbrens for weight.
Do your own Timbers...took me less than 15 minutes...and I am NOT mechanically gifted...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that I'll do...

FRONT:
Biltein 5100's @2.8
Mevotech UCA's

REAR:
Fox 2.0
Daystar 1" Polyurethane Spacer
Timber Grove Airbags (installed)

WHEELS/TIRES:
315/70r17 (34.6") Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's (installed)
Black Ram Rebel 17x8 wheels (installed)

·
Registered
134 Posts
So here's my not so professional opinion. There's a few of us over on ram forum who dove into suspension pretty deep and have a bunch of data, if you're interested I can send you the link for one members thread, he has specs on all the shocks springs etc available for our trucks.

The upper control arm stories are out there, and I've been able to find some pics but have yet to see one truly catastrophically fail, mevotechs are great for peace of mind, and cheap so it's a no brainer. At 2.8" the 5100s have various complaints from guys about being stiff or harsh in some instances, otherwise they are a great bang for the buck and a bit of an upgrade from oem. In the rear, I've yet to find a coil that doesn't compromise. All the lifted coils seem to be same rate as stock, so you still need bags to tow heavy and all the towing coils seem to ride like ass unless loaded up all the time. The fox 2.0s are a bit shorter in length than the 5100s for the rear, but unless you're rock crawling, you won't notice. Nor will you notice a difference in feel front to rear with them being different brands. Your setup will be a nice upgrade from oem without breaking the bank for sure.

That being said, if you decide you want more. Gimme a shout and I'll help you with options. There's a bunch of options Coming out for these trucks now, everything you could want to suit your needs.

Now I wanna see some pics of these 315s!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here's my not so professional opinion. There's a few of us over on ram forum who dove into suspension pretty deep and have a bunch of data, if you're interested I can send you the link for one members thread, he has specs on all the shocks springs etc available for our trucks.

The upper control arm stories are out there, and I've been able to find some pics but have yet to see one truly catastrophically fail, mevotechs are great for peace of mind, and cheap so it's a no brainer. At 2.8" the 5100s have various complaints from guys about being stiff or harsh in some instances, otherwise they are a great bang for the buck and a bit of an upgrade from oem. In the rear, I've yet to find a coil that doesn't compromise. All the lifted coils seem to be same rate as stock, so you still need bags to tow heavy and all the towing coils seem to ride like ass unless loaded up all the time. The fox 2.0s are a bit shorter in length than the 5100s for the rear, but unless you're rock crawling, you won't notice. Nor will you notice a difference in feel front to rear with them being different brands. Your setup will be a nice upgrade from oem without breaking the bank for sure.

That being said, if you decide you want more. Gimme a shout and I'll help you with options. There's a bunch of options Coming out for these trucks now, everything you could want to suit your needs.

Now I wanna see some pics of these 315s!

Thanks for the input! I'd appreciate the link too.

I'm trying to find out if I need to correct the sway bars back to (or close to) stock angles via Drop Brackets or Longer/Adjustable End Links.

All said in done I ended up with this (which I think mimics the ReadyLIFT 4" Lift 69-1000):

FRONT:
Biltein 5100's @2.8
ReadyLIFT UCA's
Supreme Suspensions 2" Strut Spacer

REAR:
Fox 2.0
Daystar 1" Polyurethane Spacer
Timber Grove Airbags

WHEELS/TIRES:
315/70r17 (34.6") Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's
Black Ram Rebel 17x8 wheels

Truck aligned great afterwards! Rides wonderful on the highway. Can really feel the difference in the corners. Took it out fishing this morning and messed around on some trails. Night and day difference from before. No rubbing.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
As for the sway bar links, I'm sure the fronts need to be extended. Not sure but i bet the farm you can find some pretty easily on Google. Ill check. As for the rear, I'm 1" higher in the rear and see no need to worry about the rear sway until probably 2" or more over stock height.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
315/70r17
I love that color combo on your truck! Looks awesome! Do you still have spacers installed with 315s?

Ps, is your truck 2wd???
It's an Outdoorsman which mostly come in two-tone. Mine is Granite Crystal Metallic upper and Brilliant Black lower. I'm sure you've guessed that it's 4x4 now but it has 3.55 gears when most Outdoorsman's have 3.92.

I have Supreme Suspensions 1.5" Hub Centric Spacers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's an Outdoorsman which mostly come in two-tone. Mine is Granite Crystal Metallic upper and Brilliant Black lower. I'm sure you've guessed that it's 4x4 now but it has 3.55 gears when most Outdoorsman's have 3.92.

So to clarify you have a 2" strut spacer on top of bilsteins set to 2.8"???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So to clarify you have a 2" strut spacer on top of bilsteins set to 2.8"???
Yes, exactly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, exactly.
Can you take some pics of your angles please. It's been tossed around by many, but nobody has gone through with it, except you. I'm not going to delve into all the theories behind why you shouldn't, I'd love to see pics of how you went 4" of lift without drop brackets.

I was always amazed at how good the angles looked on these trucks, and was waiting for someone to try this. The guys over on the forum I sent you the link to will fall over to see this not only be put to fruition but you obviously use your truck.

How is the ride at that height? I'm sorry if I bombard you with questions, but you are the first to try this out.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, exactly.
Can you take some pics of your angles please. It's been tossed around by many, but nobody has gone through with it, except you. I'm not going to delve into all the theories behind why you shouldn't, I'd love to see pics of how you went 4" of lift without drop brackets.

I was always amazed at how good the angles looked on these trucks, and was waiting for someone to try this. The guys over on the forum I sent you the link to will fall over to see this not only be put to fruition but you obviously use your truck.

How is the ride at that height? I'm sorry if I bombard you with questions, but you are the first to try this out.

I drove around for a week with only the Bilstein 5100's set at 2.8 so I got good feel for them. I was disappointed that the 5100's at 2.8 gave me the EXACT level as the Traxda 2" level (uses a spring preload spacer and a top strut spacer) that I took off so I started researching how to gain a little more lift.

That's when I found the ReadyLIFT 4" level kit. It used a combo of a Spring Preload Spacer and Top Strut Spacer to acheive the 4"s but also came with UCA's. I figured that my Bilstein 5100's were basically the same as a Spring Preload Spacer so I went ahead and ordered a 2" Top Strut Spacer (Supreme Suspensions) and the ReadyLIFT UCA's that came with the 69-1040 kit. I figure that my set up pretty much mimics the 69-1040 kit but with upgraded shocks and minus the Sway bar relocation that I'm currently looking in to. The UCA's make up the bulk of that kits cost.

The ride with just the Bilstein 5100's @2.8 alone VS the Bilstein 5100's @2.8 with 2" Top Spacers is EXACTLY the same.

Only thing I would do differently would be to set the Bilstein's at one setting lower (2.5?) but having to disassemble the struts and get an alignment again wouldn't be worth it.

https://www.readylift.com/4-sst-lift-kit-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-2009-2018.html

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Interesting, but this is the first I've ever seen this kit, or anyone running this setup. Crazy to think everyone freaks out about lift heights and you're runnin 4" of lift with no drop brackets.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts