RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was disgusted with his Hemi 1500. Stopped at Firkins Ram in Bradenton, Fl. Without knowing "boo" there he negotiated a cash deal on a new 2018 Crew cab Cummins 4 x 4. I do not know the model. Really don't care. $38,000. Would you?

Not only that he wanted tires larger than the 17's. The sales manager gave him a check for $700 and told him to go buy some. Then he sold his old tires and wheels keeping that money. Sold his 2016 Hemi to one of his stepsons and done deal.

Towing his large 34ft. travel trailer this past weekend and he did 11 mpg. With the Hemi he did 7 mpg. 7 come 11 is like a crap shoot. No crap shoot for him. He did it right. There are deals to be had out there on the 2018 Cummins. Sure something to think about.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Man, I don't know the man at all and I don't personally know you other than on here capt, but a claim like that would incline me to call someone a fibber to put it nicely. Especially the awesome deal and them handing him a $700 check to get tires. I guess some folks can work a deal lol or they can work a story.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain Danny Guarino called me from my hunting camp today. He was asking for a large tool that I keep in my tractor tool box there in Georgia. He told me of the new purchase. I do not think it is out of line. I do not know the exact figures with title, tax, transfer etc. Only know what I remember he told me.

I saw some 2018's at Lakeland Ram on I- 4 where they were asking low 40's. At Kernersville Ram they offer new 2018's in the lower 40's without you going to negotiate. What you get from them after making an offer is subject to your ability to negotiate. When I ordered my Ecodiesel I had a commitment from then at around 18% off before I ordered. They honored that and also did "no dealer fee" on delivery also plus an extra key fob and some other things. I will see that truck in a few weeks when I go to Georgia.

Now you have to also remember that many on this forum judge the character of their purchase by the size of the screen on the dash, gadgets in the dash, lights, leather and other gizmos that create so many headaches to maintain. Danny is like me. He would want a reliable engine and transmission. The rest of the package is unnecessary "fluff" to get from point A to point B. Think he said it had black bumpers so guessing a Tradesman like mine without the chrome package.

Always remember the biker motto..."Chrome don't get you home but it might get you la..." Danny is 15 years younger than me but out of the sexual rat race and not interested in impressions.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I don't know the man at all and I don't personally know you other than on here capt, but a claim like that would incline me to call someone a fibber to put it nicely. Especially the awesome deal and them handing him a $700 check to get tires. I guess some folks can work a deal lol or they can work a story.

https://www.firkinscj.com/inventory/new-2018-ram-2500-tradesman-4x2-crew-cab-3c6ur4cl2jg414678

Just took a peek at their website. This is asking price BEFORE negotiations. It even hints there is a better price. Now I am pretty sure he told me his was a 4 x 4. Don't think that adds a whole lot to the vehicle but not sure. After looking at this I believe. There are great deals to be had on the 2018 Cummins right now.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Was just comparing it to what my dad paid for his. I don't know what his pre TTL # was, but the all in number no trade with a few options on a crew cab long bed 4x4 srw 3500 was to the tune of 15,000 more than that.

After looking at it some more, dads is a 3500 long bed, has parking sensors, chrome package, probably makes up most of it, especially if this one isn't 4x4. He also bought it almost a year ago now and said they weren't willing to work much on price at that time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
They must be desperate to get rid of the 18"s. I was at the dealer on Mon when I didn't get my AEM done and was looking at a 2019, 2500 , I believe was a Outdoorsman.
Sticker was $$$ 68k ! Drop $30k for a 1 MY older. Wow.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They must be desperate to get rid of the 18"s. I was at the dealer on Mon when I didn't get my AEM done and was looking at a 2019, 2500 , I believe was a Outdoorsman.
Sticker was $$$ 68k ! Drop $30k for a 1 MY older. Wow.
From what I see the 2019 model year Cummins is maybe 10% off MSRP. Sure you can get a little more but for now, the novelty is still on. As soon as the 2020's are available the 2019's will be the ones pushed out the door.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like it has been reported. There are great deals on the 2018 Cummins Rams.

Just got an emailt from Firkins pushing 20% off MSRP as a starting point for a deal on a 2019 Classic 1500. There has been a lot of production to surplus is my take on all this.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I believe this deal...dealers get extra incentive $$ from factories when vehicles sit for longer periods of time plus all the usual discounts. They need to make room for 20s and they can outright loss money on a vehicle yet make it back with the Quarterly Volume bonuses and 3% holdback off a large MSRP. I have always started with USAA pricing and negotiated down...even dealer fees are negotiable for veterans.

This is an example of precisely WHY trucks are the largest profit margin in the auto business. In the end the dealer still made money, factory cleared lot space, and customer got new for probably less then used.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fullsizeoutput_1527 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Danny sent me this picture today in a text. He is staying at my camp in Georgia and I communicated by text this morning. Think the extra check was for tires only. He bought these wheels on his own along with the new tires. He also paid extra for those side running-board rails. Looks to me to be a basic Tradesman. In my book - best model made to do the work, hunting, fishing and hauling we do.

·
Registered
501 Posts
fullsizeoutput_1527 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Danny sent me this picture today in a text. He is staying at my camp in Georgia and I communicated by text this morning. Think the extra check was for tires only. He bought these wheels on his own along with the new tires. He also paid extra for those side running-board rails. Looks to me to be a basic Tradesman. In my book - best model made to do the work, hunting, fishing and hauling we do.
Looks like a great truck.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brand new and he has been slamming it into much holes, driving down power lines, knocking brush down and beating it on his hunting acreage. Others would be out cleaning and polishing, fussing over each piece of dust that might touch it.

This guy is getting worked.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I paid $40,000 for a ram sport and ordered it. I requested $1,000 towards tires as well and got it. that's a tradesman, not an upper level trim and lists as a 2018 for $47,000. I'm surprised he didn't do better actually because of the trim level but maybe with cummins they can't slash it as much.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid $40,000 for a ram sport and ordered it. I requested $1,000 towards tires as well and got it. that's a tradesman, not an upper level trim and lists as a 2018 for $47,000. I'm surprised he didn't do better actually because of the trim level but maybe with cummins they can't slash it as much.
You may be right in a couple of ways. Surely it is a Tradesman - the best model to have. Simple and rugged, it's the answer for transportation, rough usage and general travel. I would never want to take some fancy thing hunting or fishing just from the mess and wet you have getting in at times.

Do not know the MSRP but think it just might be what is in that link above, if that vehicle is still there to look at the window sticker. Think that was something in the low 50's. From what I have seen, with a few exceptions, the 2019's are basically 10% off. The 2018's are now more like 15% off. I agree that the Cummins 2500's are not footballed around like the 1500's.

*** Yeah - Window sticker on the one above is just over $50K. Means he got something just over 20% off. Bet they added dealer profit fees and inflated the paperwork fees some. Do not know that. To me paying over $40K for a pickup, no matter how nice, is silly. They are a tool to get the job done and should not cost more than my first house., which by the way, my son lives in today with a value maybe 4 times what I paid to have it built. Still remember buying my brand new Pontiac Firebird convertible for $3K back in 1968. Then I made twice that much yearly. Today to buy a new vehicle would take my entire yearly income. Crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts