RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently the latest way to steal our trucks is the pukes use an arial to copy the signal from the key fob in your house then program a blank to drive off your truck.
TIPS:
Park in a garage where possible.
Don’t leave fob by an exterior wall (if you park outside)
Don’t sleep at night (so you can keep an eye on your ride)….

I would think that putting the key in a metal box would work, no?

· Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
411 Posts
So apparently the latest way to steal our trucks is the pukes use an arial to copy the signal from the key fob in your house then program a blank to drive off your truck.
TIPS:
Park in a garage where possible.
Don’t leave fob by an exterior wall (if you park outside)
Don’t sleep at night (so you can keep an eye on your ride)….

I would think that putting the key in a metal box would work, no?
Did this actually happen to you? Here in AB that's far too much work for a criminal. They tried to steal my EcoD when i was 10ft away. Our revolving door justice system puts them in jail for a few nights even if they get caught. Sometimes I wonder if the criminals purposely want to get caught sometimes so they get a nice warm meal and a bed for a few nights then back out to cause more chaos for us working tax payers.

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
Here in Ontario its happening every night. One of my contractors had his 2022 Eco stolen from his driveway. Reported it right away and the f**ker was caught on the 401 almost into Quebec where they drive them into shipping containers and send overseas. His truck sustained lots of damage when the guy ditched it during the chase.

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
I'm emptying my truck of all tools this morning because it will be parked at the airport for a week while we cruise. The bastards will take one look at the odometer and abort their mission and go target another truck...lol
Its the tools I'm worried about.

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,070 Posts
Huge population increase here in Florida. Massive construction of "stucco jungles" and the workers involved. Between the illegals, legal immigrants and people moving here from red states there are massive strains on our legal system. While other areas stop punishing criminals and enter a world of chaos, we have to deal with huge amounts of crime associated with these population changes. Now, with affordable areas growing, it is only getting worse.

Church attendance is dropping and has been dropping. There is a hideous lack of morality and punishment for immorality. Losing our trucks is a trait we have promoted allowing our society to decline. Unless stopped, it will get worse.

· Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
1,062 Posts
Stop buying trucks with keyless go crap and you won't have this issue,, I have 2016 Laramie when the truck was new I was kicking myself for not getting the keyless go but now I have no issues with pulling the key out of my pocket everytime I drive the truck.
YouTube have some cool videos about how to program a new keyless go fob and it literally takes a minute once you have the 4 digit pin. I wonder how long the insurance companies will wait before going after car manufacturers for doing such a poor job.

· Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
133 Posts
Well, if they want to steal my 2018 Tradesman, they'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Keyfobs for trucks are for pansies ;)

As for the overall crime rate, I think people have really short memories. In 1984-1986, I was held up at gunpoint as a convenience store clerk three times in a city that did not have a particularly high crime rate. I lived through the surge in the 90s and subsequent drop to 50 year lows that followed before the pandemic, and now the pendulum is swinging back up a little. Life is like that.

As for churchgoers having a lock on morality? This atheist would like to quibble.

· Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
411 Posts
Here in Ontario its happening every night. One of my contractors had his 2022 Eco stolen from his driveway. Reported it right away and the f**ker was caught on the 401 almost into Quebec where they drive them into shipping containers and send overseas. His truck sustained lots of damage when the guy ditched it during the chase.
No way they are stealing them using this new sophisticated way that often though. Criminals are not smart, generally speaking. They also like the easy options. I can't see many criminals putting the necessary time and effort into hijacking a fob's signal.

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
I can't see many criminals putting the necessary time and effort into hijacking a fob's signal.
It's not a matter of time to hijack the signal, just if they spend the money for the device. The signal can be grabbed and cloned in seconds, to the point they'll walk up to the vehicle and get in like they have the keyfob.

· Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
133 Posts
It's not a matter of time to hijack the signal, just if they spend the money for the device. The signal can be grabbed and cloned in seconds, to the point they'll walk up to the vehicle and get in like they have the keyfob.
Keep your keys away from the doors, or better yet store in a metal box.

This is not a hard problem to defeat.

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,843 Posts
If it's that simple, I think we'll see more thefts from the streets and parking lots during daylight hours.

· Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
1,102 Posts
I saw a video on the news where someone came up to the person's truck and took a picture of the trucks vin number and walked away. About half an hour came back and opened up the truck with a tablet or something and drove away clean. I now have a little sheet of cardboard down over my vin so they don't have access to it. If they want it they will get it.

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Oh it can only get better.......

1. One can go to the darkweb and purchase all sorts of tools to assist with such illegal intentions
2. This can evolve into what this generation loves....... A social media challenge.
3. Tiktoker's will setup fake heists to get massive views under false pretenses. Sadly they will laugh.
4 Insurance companies will raise the rates based on the risk assessment
5. 😔

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,070 Posts
This is crazy talk. It is all about burdens and procedures honest people need to take for their safety.

The best thing to do is eliminate the threat. Our society has chosen to encourage threats and punish good people. Told you - this is crazy.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
This happened to my cousin in Texas, parked at a store and someone unlocked her car and those of other women nearby.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
We have a Faraday box at the house, and we have a Faraday pouch for each key fob. Now that fob relay readers are very popular in the theft arena, you really need to be careful. I make sure I keep the faraday pouch in my pocket when I leave the vehicle. My wife puts hers in her purse. The number of Jeep Gladiators that have been stolen using fob relay readers is astounding.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts