RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, it's been a while since I have posted. To start, I have a 2014 eco Bighorn 4x4. I bought it new in October of 14 and have 167,000 miles on him. It's been a fantastic truck! It is completely stock. No tunes mods or anything else. I tow a 35' Jayco that's around 7500lbs and it does a pretty good job. I did put a set of Timbren blocks in the rear cuz I still had the original shocks on it. It's time to change the front struts. I put Rancho 5000x on the rear last fall. Are the springs good to use at 167000 or is it time to replace? I have been looking at coil over assemblies or should the old springs be ok? I have not beat up this truck in anyway. My miles have almost all come from highway driving. Thoughts?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've never heard of springs being a "wear item". They should be fine provided they don't have significant rust.

·
Banned
667 Posts
The oem everything is the least expensive source for the part, any aftermarket springs that's aren't oem will be an improvement.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
If your having sagging problems with the truck, then you might consider new springs. A good person to ask would be @VernDiesel he's put a few highway miles on while towing.
I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on heavy loaded work vehicles over the crap Michigan roads and have yet to have a spring (coil or leaf) problem.
If you are thinking of replacing the factory springs, consider the TuffTruck V1223 for the rear and Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front(they offer a matching rear shock also). Good reviews for both from people who tow and looking for an OEM ride quality.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello folks, it's been a while since I have posted. To start, I have a 2014 eco Bighorn 4x4. I bought it new in October of 14 and have 167,000 miles on him. It's been a fantastic truck! It is completely stock. No tunes mods or anything else. I tow a 35' Jayco that's around 7500lbs and it does a pretty good job. I did put a set of Timbren blocks in the rear cuz I still had the original shocks on it. It's time to change the front struts. I put Rancho 5000x on the rear last fall. Are the springs good to use at 167000 or is it time to replace? I have been looking at coil over assemblies or should the old springs be ok? I have not beat up this truck in anyway. My miles have almost all come from highway driving. Thoughts?
Springs are typically a very slow wear item - often the vehicle is totalled, sold or abandoned for salvage before it becomes an issue.

One rule of thumb is how much sag from original - usually 3/4 of an inch means replace the springs but it is a judgement call because many vehicles depending on how they are used are in the twilight of their life.

If you run a high annual mileage and take super good care of your truck it is a different story. The springs will need to be replaced at least once possibly twice in its useful life (which “could” be as high as 300 to 500,000 miles for a truck)

Without seeing your truck, my gut would suggest that you should replace the springs - they aren’t that expensive given the other work you are doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never heard of springs being a "wear item". They should be fine provided they don't have significant rust.
I never had to replace any of mine either. I was just considering since I am putting new struts on the front, would it be a good idea to put the whole new assembly rather than just the struts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Springs are typically a very slow wear item - often the vehicle is totalled, sold or abandoned for salvage before it becomes an issue.

One rule of thumb is how much sag from original - usually 3/4 of an inch means replace the springs but it is a judgement call because many vehicles depending on how they are used are in the twilight of their life.

If you run a high annual mileage and take super good care of your truck it is a different story. The springs will need to be replaced at least once possibly twice in its useful life (which “could” be as high as 300 to 500,000 miles for a truck)

Without seeing your truck, my gut would suggest that you should replace the springs - they aren’t that expensive given the other work you are doing.
[/QUOTE
It's hard to tell about the sag. Ram's sag too much for my liking anyway. This is my first diesel so I wasn't sure if the extra weight contributed to soft springs as an issue. The front doesn't bounce or feel sloppy but with 167 thousand on it, I can't imagine the coil overs aren't tired?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your having sagging problems with the truck, then you might consider new springs. A good person to ask would be @VernDiesel he's put a few highway miles on while towing.
I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on heavy loaded work vehicles over the crap Michigan roads and have yet to have a spring (coil or leaf) problem.
If you are thinking of replacing the factory springs, consider the TuffTruck V1223 for the rear and Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front(they offer a matching rear shock also). Good reviews for both from people who tow and looking for an OEM ride quality.
I always loved the ride of my Rams. My fear is turning the truck into an old steel wagon. I'll need front brakes come Spring so I am looking into all this now so I am get a good game plan.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
I always loved the ride of my Rams. My fear is turning the truck into an old steel wagon. I'll need front brakes come Spring so I am looking into all this now so I am get a good game plan.
Same here about liking the ride and not wanting to mess it up. Like you I've sorta been reading up for the inevitable needing shocks. Bilstein have been described as being able to run over a dime an tell if it's head or tails. I've read several people comparing the Fox 2.0 similar to the OEMs, which those could be an option too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A lot of smaller vehicle MacPherson struts are fully shot at about 100,000 miles, but people drive them anyways until the car is fully toast.

Trucks are much more durable - so it really comes down to measuring the stance and comparing what it was new with what it is now.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I drove my last Ram 300,000 miles and towed very heavy trailers and heavy bed loads. Never noticed any sagging. Did wear out 2 sets of Rancho 9000's shocks. Lifetime warrantee...

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
411 Posts
I never had to replace any of mine either. I was just considering since I am putting new struts on the front, would it be a good idea to put the whole new assembly rather than just the struts.
The good thing about the way the front suspension is setup is you can replace the front shocks without unloading the assembly. Just remove the top nut on the shock and the two bolts on the bottom of the A-arm and the shock can fall out the bottom. (Provided the tubes aren't too big. The factories and Bilsteins will go in and out this way without issue.) If I were you I would just do shocks and see if that accomplishes what you want. If your not satisfied, then your can go back and do the springs (at which point an alignment would also be recommended).

The front shocks are easier to replace than the back in my experience. One hour job tops even if your taking your time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You mentioned replacing the rear shocks. Order this up to make the rears a lot easier to change: 09-18 1500 SHOCK NUT SET
That's pretty nifty. I made my own "tool" that didn't involve bending wrenches like most folks seem to do. Basically I had a small 1/4" hex ratchet wrench with a hex to 1/2" drive adapter, and then a shallow socket on that. It wasn't great, but let me have enough bite to loosen and tighten back up. But it took me about an hour of piddling around to come up with a solution and then another half hour of piddling around with the wheel well before I realized there was a screw hidden behind the factory brush guards. I took some pictures that I've been meaning to post in case it will help someone in the future, but haven't gotten around to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts