RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 ED, Longhorn, 81,000mls

After listening to my truck today while I am driving, and verifying there is no play in the drive shaft or axle shafts, I believe that the front is not disengaging. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a way to verify this? If I understand correctly, with the truck in 2wd, I should be able to turn the front axle by hand? Trying to do a little work ahead of the mechanics at the dealership, and my own personal education as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Danga.... Usually when something goes wrong with the 4wd you get a ..service 4wd notice see dealer on your dash ... Any Notice ? The 4wd actuators go bad on our trucks ,mine went bad 2nd time I used 4wd ... If this is the issue Dealerships usually have them in stock , very simple to replace,4 bolts One plug
It's location is on the front end ,check it make sure it's still plugged in .. Good luck and let us know your outcome..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danga.... Usually when something goes wrong with the 4wd you get a ..service 4wd notice see dealer on your dash ... Any Notice ? The 4wd actuators go bad on our trucks ,mine went bad 2nd time I used 4wd ... If this is the issue Dealerships usually have them in stock , very simple to replace,4 bolts One plug
It's location is on the front end ,check it make sure it's still plugged in .. Good luck and let us know your outcome..
No indications what so ever.... Once I get this figured out, I'll make sure to post and update. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You are correct. Front driveshaft should spin freely in 2wd with all wheels on the ground. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I went around and around with my dealer until we finally walked out to a new truck and crawled underneath to test my theory, they were completely dumbfounded.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. Front driveshaft should spin freely in 2wd with all wheels on the ground. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I went around and around with my dealer until we finally walked out to a new truck and crawled underneath to test my theory, they were completely dumbfounded.

I read your thread DJL_57. Was trying to make sure I do my homework. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, what was the final outcome/problem?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The front actuator had failed. I was a long way from cell reception in the mountains when it failed to shift into 2wd. No amount of pulling fuses or disconnecting battery would reset anything, it would not even attempt the shift. The message displayed was "service 4wd system" or something to that effect immediately upon key on, and the amber 4x4 icon illuminated (it was stuck in 4x4). I had to drive on pavement downhill twisty mountain roads a long way to make a call for a tow. Not good for the truck, but better than hiking out. FCA towed it to the dealer closest to my house. After unloading it in their parking lot late on a Sunday, I started it up to move it into a parking spot and the 4x4 icon was still on but the service system message never came on. I attempted a shift and the truck successfully shifted into 2wd without an error. I drove home and waited to bring it in to the dealer a few weeks later when some other unrelated parts arrived. During that time I found that with the front end in the ground, the front driveshaft would not move. With the front end jacked up, the front driveshaft would spin but move the front tires - verifying that it was unlocked at the transfer case, but not at the front axle. They eventually replaced that actuator and all was good, I performed multiple shifts to make sure they didn't screw it up.

Man, I miss the days of good ol lever and cable 4wd systems. Whoever thought it was good idea to introduce an electronic component to such a basic vehicle system should have been fired.
I read your thread DJL_57. Was trying to make sure I do my homework. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, what was the final outcome/problem?

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
.... very simple to replace,4 bolts One plug
an image of this 4WD actuator , and location where mounted , would be nice , if anyone has one .:eek:

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Many a day and night, in freezing rain, ice, snow, mud and misery I had to stop. Then get out to put engage the front hubs. Feet filthy and cold/wet all over, you get back in and dirty the truck inside and out.

Those were the days because you could find a way to get hubs in and out mechanically. Actually think Ford still has a manual hub option for those not really into the computer age.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Similar to that heat activated disaster GM used(maybe still does), it would take anywhere up to 15-20 seconds for the FWD to engage. If it was brass balls cold, it was hit and miss at best. I like the old manual method myself but we don't have that smart option.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm taking a guess that this is the actuator? Yup, still plugged in...
View attachment 72766
Yep. Carefully pull the latch and slide it off, make sure there's no moisture in there. Should hear an audible "click" and it should securely latch into place

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Many a day and night, in freezing rain, ice, snow, mud and misery I had to stop. Then get out to put engage the front hubs. Feet filthy and cold/wet all over, you get back in and dirty the truck inside and out.

Those were the days because you could find a way to get hubs in and out mechanically. Actually think Ford still has a manual hub option for those not really into the computer age.
Yep I think Fords manual hubs on the SD trucks are actually a manual backup in case the vacuum system fails. Meaning putting it in 4wd should work but if not, that's a manual override to still get 4wd

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Similar to that heat activated disaster GM used(maybe still does), it would take anywhere up to 15-20 seconds for the FWD to engage. If it was brass balls cold, it was hit and miss at best. I like the old manual method myself but we don't have that smart option.
The front end actuator on our trucks is the same going back many model years. The general design of it with the 4 bolt pattern and shift collar goes back even further. If only someone could electronically remove the front actuator from the system entirely, I would absolutely install one of these in a heartbeat: 4x4 Posi-Lok
http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
Having one of these mounted on the dash to control the front collar, and using the push button 4wd to control the transfer case, would be a nice compromise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The front end actuator on our trucks is the same going back many model years. The general design of it with the 4 bolt pattern and shift collar goes back even further. If only someone could electronically remove the front actuator from the system entirely, I would absolutely install one of these in a heartbeat: 4x4 Posi-Lok
4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s
Having one of these mounted on the dash to control the front collar, and using the push button 4wd to control the transfer case, would be a nice compromise.

One would certainly be able to tell if the front axle was engaged, that's for sure!

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s

Oh my gawd, can you imagine the outrage of society, having to pull a lever, getting my fingers all cramped up and having to pay attention to what mode it's in, lol.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
One could do what the jeep guys do and just remove the acutator and mechanically connect the shafts. Its an open differential anyways probably the only downside is slightly lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Captain - I'm lazy so when I had a 1980 F150 the front hubs got locked in starting in December and unlocked in April. Pull the stick on the floor at any speed (I tried it at 60 once) and you're in 4 wheel drive.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

Had an appointment set up for this morning at the dealership to have it looked at and< voila! It's no longer engaged???? Do I have a gremlin messing with me? Not sure if I should keep this appointment or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Had an appointment set up for this morning at the dealership to have it looked at and< voila! It's no longer engaged???? Do I have a gremlin messing with me? Not sure if I should keep this appointment or not.
Well, I kept the appointment, and because this truck was a "certified pre-owned' ended up with a new front right wheel bearing. However, now there is a noise/vibration coming from the front end at about 45mph that is pretty loud. The mechanic can't seem to put his finger on it and we are out of time today. Another appt is scheduled for next week so they can spend a little more time with it. The service manager is pretty good at his job and sent me on my way without making me pay for anything because they have not gotten to the root cause of the problem yet. This guy gets an A in my book. Will update after the next appt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the lag in an update. Turns out the left front wheel bearing was having trouble as well. After that was replaced all was quiet again. Nice to have my truck back in tip top shape. Now, to get the GDE hot tune on order.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts