RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here because I believe the issue to be caused by the lift. (Not necessarily due to any fault with the design/manufacture of the lift...)

I have searched many corners of the interweb for info on this but am not finding a lot.

Background info:
2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Current mileage just over 70k
Mileage at time of lift install around 20k
Lift is Zone 6"
When in 4x4 there is a low pitch growling noise under acceleration, almost sounded like a small amount of wheel spin. I was never able to locate the source of this noise but I believe this boot/joint is the issue.

Issue:
The boot on the front shaft has failed and released all of the grease from inside.

This is on the transfer case side of the drive shaft - on the right side of this photo.
http://www.4xshaft.com/images/DODGE1500FRTBW.jpg

This is what mine looks like right now:
IMG_20180926_182112535.jpg

For everyone's information the instructions that came with the lift at the time of install did not mention doing anything to this boot. The current instructions require you to remove the clamp, move the boot back 1/4" and re-clamp.

My questions for the community are:
1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Is there a better drive shaft design out there that anyone has used and recommends? (I realize that the drive shaft photo I linked above is from a custom drive shaft manufacturer that makes a replacement shaft with a different joint design, I'm looking for input on whether its necessary or if I should just replace with OEM stuff.)
3. How do other lift manufacturers deal with this boot/drive shaft design?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm posting this here because I believe the issue to be caused by the lift. (Not necessarily due to any fault with the design/manufacture of the lift...)

I have searched many corners of the interweb for info on this but am not finding a lot.

Background info:
2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Current mileage just over 70k
Mileage at time of lift install around 20k
Lift is Zone 6"
When in 4x4 there is a low pitch growling noise under acceleration, almost sounded like a small amount of wheel spin. I was never able to locate the source of this noise but I believe this boot/joint is the issue.

Issue:
The boot on the front shaft has failed and released all of the grease from inside.

This is on the transfer case side of the drive shaft - on the right side of this photo.
http://www.4xshaft.com/images/DODGE1500FRTBW.jpg

This is what mine looks like right now:
View attachment 76002

For everyone's information the instructions that came with the lift at the time of install did not mention doing anything to this boot. The current instructions require you to remove the clamp, move the boot back 1/4" and re-clamp.

My questions for the community are:
1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Is there a better drive shaft design out there that anyone has used and recommends? (I realize that the drive shaft photo I linked above is from a custom drive shaft manufacturer that makes a replacement shaft with a different joint design, I'm looking for input on whether its necessary or if I should just replace with OEM stuff.)
3. How do other lift manufacturers deal with this boot/drive shaft design?

Thanks!
6" lift is no joke. You are seriously putting some angle on that joint and pinching the boot a bit... not shocked this is the result.

My suggestion is to contact the lift manufacturer and see if they make a kit that will relocate the center diff down an inch or so. that will make the angle less severe and you will get longer life out of your half shaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...

The kit does re-locate the center diff. I'm with you though it does put it at more of an angle and I too am not surprised it happened.

Like I said the manufacturer now recommends re positioning the clamping location of the boot to take some of the pressure off. it's a silly design for a drive shaft if you ask me.

Lots of guys running 4 and 6" lifts so I'm thinking this must have come up before.

·
Registered
516 Posts
70,000 miles.. I would just replace it with stock , and move the clamp as suggested by lift manufacturer. Not normal to tear that early , but not unheard of either. Even for a stock truck. Now if it tears again , within 50,000 miles , then I would start to look for a better answer. my $.02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts