RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered an interesting issue that may have been happening since I bought my truck! I have the keyless entry feature, so I lock the door by hitting the little button and I unlock the door by putting my hand on the handle. I can't lock the truck and then check that it's locked by pulling on the handle, because doing so will unlock it again! The other day I locked my truck and walked away and my wife went to open the front door and it opened (and the alarm went off!). Turns out locking my truck is locking all doors (including RamBoxes) apart from the front drivers door.

I'm going to take it in and get it looked at soon, but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does the door lock if you use the lock button on the key fob?
BTW I really like the keyless entry/ignition feature.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I just checked mine locks (limited).

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
No same thing, rest of the doors lock, by the drivers side does not
Very common problem, actually.

You neglected to order the "driver's door lock" option. Thus, there is no lock installed. Tough to retrofit, too, as the computer will need to be asked if it'll allow the option to be recognized after-the-fact. ;)

Could be as simple as a rod off it's attachment, or a bum solenoid. ;)

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
So if you lock the door, then pull on the handle, it opens. How the heck is that called a "lock"?

Now it doesn't lock. So you go to manually lock it and there's no lock hicky sticking up to press. There have been locking doors since the 40's as I remember. Maybe earlier for all I know.

How can a simple thing like locking a door be screwed up in the name of technology?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So if you lock the door, then pull on the handle, it opens. How the heck is that called a "lock"?

Now it doesn't lock. So you go to manually lock it and there's no lock hicky sticking up to press. There have been locking doors since the 40's as I remember. Maybe earlier for all I know.

How can a simple thing like locking a door be screwed up in the name of technology?
For the auto-lock equipped trucks, there are sensors behind the door handle. When they sense fingers AND the keyfob nearby, they allow the door to unlock. Very handy, in fact - we have it on our VW and ordered it on the RAM.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just checked mine. Works fine. Leave the fob in the house and go try it. Might just be the auto unlock feature due to the fob being too close to the truck.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Oh my. Red flags flew all over with that explanation.

Let me see. I keep a spare key fob in a magnetic compartment under a lip in the truck bed. That way, when stupid happens and it does, I can operate the truck.

Now, with that big dollar hooz a' ma goozie locking/unlocking device, I lock the truck and go to the store. Somebody comes by and places their hand on my door latch. With that spare fob in the bed the door opens. I come out and get into a gunfight against my own guns taken from the truck.

Insane. Thanks for telling me. Each day that I learn more and more about what people have for priorities I learn to appreciate KISS .

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's likely a sticking lock actuator. Had one on my truck and a guy at work did as well..

capt, it's actually a really convenient feature - really nice to not to have to fumble around in your pockets looking for a fob when your hand(s) are full.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oh my. Red flags flew all over with that explanation.

Let me see. I keep a spare key fob in a magnetic compartment under a lip in the truck bed. That way, when stupid happens and it does, I can operate the truck.

Now, with that big dollar hooz a' ma goozie locking/unlocking device, I lock the truck and go to the store. Somebody comes by and places their hand on my door latch. With that spare fob in the bed the door opens. I come out and get into a gunfight against my own guns taken from the truck.

Insane. Thanks for telling me. Each day that I learn more and more about what people have for priorities I learn to appreciate KISS .
This assumes you have the auto lock feature. Just a regular keyfob won't make this happen. ;) If you need to click the button to lock and unlock, and just holding the handle won't unlock your truck, then this is moot as you don't have that option.

If you forget the fob, the truck will remain locked, assuming you locked it when you walked away.

If you have the fob, you can get in or out easily.

You cannot "lock the key in the truck" as the system won't allow it.

Struggling to understand what could happen where the key needs to be place din a hidden spot on the truck "just in case".

I can imagine some scenarios where it might be inconvenient, but the truck would be locked, and thus safe. You might need someone to bring you the spare key, but at least the truck is safe in the meantime.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How far away can the fob and still activate the auto lock feature?
The Owners Manual says within 5 ft of the door handle.

Reactions: RamBam

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Fall overboard and get the fob soaked in salt water. Loose the darn thing. Drop it and step on it while looking. Find out the battery in the darn thing went dead. Set it somewhere and forget where it is. Have a bird swoop down and snatch it out of your hand. Get arrested and have the police lose it during impound. Hand it to someone who runs away. Get beat up and robbed of your keys. Swallow it on a dare and don't wait until it passes. Find out that the hole in your pants pocket is big enough for it to slide out. Haul back a deer on the quad and then discover that your cell phone is gone along with the fob. (cell phone was turned off for stealth so calling did no good.). Get a nasty Canadian official to strip your motorcycle and all contents on the tarmac in the rain in Nova Scotia because he was sure you were smuggling drugs in the gas tank, soaking and ruining the fob. Hand it to the wife, who leaves her purse in the ladies bathroom.

It's nice to have access to a spare when the inevitable happens.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Fall overboard and get the fob soaked in salt water. Loose the darn thing. Drop it and step on it while looking. Find out the battery in the darn thing went dead. Set it somewhere and forget where it is. Have a bird swoop down and snatch it out of your hand. Get arrested and have the police lose it during impound. Hand it to someone who runs away. Get beat up and robbed of your keys. Swallow it on a dare and don't wait until it passes. Find out that the hole in your pants pocket is big enough for it to slide out. Haul back a deer on the quad and then discover that your cell phone is gone along with the fob. (cell phone was turned off for stealth so calling did no good.). Get a nasty Canadian official to strip your motorcycle and all contents on the tarmac in the rain in Nova Scotia because he was sure you were smuggling drugs in the gas tank, soaking and ruining the fob. Hand it to the wife, who leaves her purse in the ladies bathroom.

It's nice to have access to a spare when the inevitable happens.
Capt' sound like more than just a little 1st hand experience ?.... Or you have the creativity of Carl Hiaasen LOL!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Get a nasty Canadian official to strip your motorcycle and all contents on the tarmac in the rain in Nova Scotia because he was sure you were smuggling drugs in the gas tank, soaking and ruining the fob.
As a Nova Scotian myself, please accept our deepest apologize for this over zealous treatment. Should not have occurred. Did you at least get to enjoy a Keith IPA afterwards?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
As a Nova Scotian myself, please accept our deepest apologize for this over zealous treatment. Should not have occurred. Did you at least get to enjoy a Keith IPA afterwards?
Now you just abandon your brampton heritage eh! I see how it is...

For what it's worth I would too, what an s hole

1 - 20 of 21 Posts