RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone install a front Hitch receiver on the new body style? Curt's website doesn't show that the EcoDiesel is compatible with their hitch (part # 31090).

I went through the same issue with my 2016 and it turned out that it was just that no one had verified the installation on the EcoDiesel. I ended up being the unpaid test mule to confirm that it fit with no issues 馃お

Does anyone know of a reason why the front hitch would fit a 3.6 or Hemi and not the EcoDiesel? Since the hitch mounts in place of the tow hooks, can anyone at least confirm that the tow hooks are the same for all three engines?

Thanks.

Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
I have no way to verify but my guess is the tow hooks would be the same regardless of which engine. However, the EcoD has the intercooler mounted in the bumper so if that occupies the same space that the hitch tries to use, the hitch won't fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Below is the the install diagram. It's possible that the intercooler is using the holes where bolt (3) needs to be. I take delivery of the truck on Wednesday so quick crawl underneath the front will verify.

Registered
2019 Ram Classic SLT
I mounted the Curt #31374 front mounted hitch on my 19 Ecodiesel with no problems The only difficult part was drilling the rear mounting holes through the frame then fishing the bolts through access holes in the frame. I had to trim the plastic air dam to make room for the receiver as well. Took about 2 hours

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mounted the Curt #31374 front mounted hitch on my 19 Ecodiesel with no problems The only difficult part was drilling the rear mounting holes through the frame then fishing the bolts through access holes in the frame. I had to trim the plastic air dam to make room for the receiver as well. Took about 2 hours
2nd gen though, correct. I had no issues with a Curt on my 2016.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed the front hitch receiver this weekend, so I thought I'd post the finished result to close out this thread.

First off, in building their install kit, Draw-Tite assumed that long tow hook bolt couldn't easily be removed. It was about a 15 second procedure when pulling the tow hooks so I decided to make some replacement parts for the install kit. The rear bolt needs a 3/8" spacer and a 1/4" "washer". Here's the picks of the kit parts along side the made I made from cold rolled steel bar. I used a cold galvanizing compound to finish the bare metal. Yes I tend to overthink things and overengineer as a result.

Here's a comparison of how the directions show these parts in use versus my replacement parts.

I decided that I wasn't going to re-install the dynamic air dam as it was just getting too busy at the front bumper and it was just one more part to get damaged or fail. However, I discovered that a EVIC message would be displayed if the motor wasn't connected. Therefore, I tore the assembly apart and only re-installed the motor. Here's what's left:

Then, of course, the license plate holder needed to be notched to fit around the receiver. I decided not to notch the plate itself, rather remove it the 2 times a year that I use the front receiver hitch (spring and fall - putting and pulling the boats from the lake).

Being a diesel are there are three other idiosyncrasies that forced me to adapt the install. All involved the CAC being in the way:
  • The air dam supports could not be removed. They were trimmed while still mounted.
  • The middle four bolts attaching the aim dam to the bumper were impossible to reach (at least for my meat hooks). I have four nuts left over :p
  • The carriage bolt for the support bar needed to be be install from the top. Even still, the dome of the bolt does make contact with the CAC.

If you decide to do this, don't believe anyone that says it can't done on a diesel. Shoot me a PM with any questions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so you need to remove your license plate to use the hitch each time or am I missing something? lol
The front hitch, yes. I suppose I could move to a location where a front plate wasn't required by law. I'm willing to live with the compromise given removing the plate is on less effort than installing the ball mount.

I also need to remove the receiver plug each time I use the front hitch.

Registered
The front hitch, yes. I suppose I could move to a location where a front plate wasn't required by law. I'm willing to live with the compromise given removing the plate is on less effort than installing the ball mount.

I also need to remove the receiver plug each time I use the front hitch.
Have you thought about manufacturing more and the selling your custom spacers and washers? I'm sure plenty of people will want to mount a front hitch on the 3rd gen ED

Registered
I took my 2021 Limited ecodiesel to a "professional" trailer & hitch installer yesterday. After careful measuring they told me the draw tite hitch extended 4 inches below the frame and that my intercooler extended 5 inches and therefore wouldn't work. I do have factory tow hooks which I assume must be removed. Do you have any more pictures showing the reinforcement bar and where it rubs on the intercooler? Do you have any pictures of the brackets you had to cut? Which model RAM did you do your installation on?

Registered
I took my 2021 Limited ecodiesel to a "professional" trailer & hitch installer yesterday. After careful measuring they told me the draw tite hitch extended 4 inches below the frame and that my intercooler extended 5 inches and therefore wouldn't work. I do have factory tow hooks which I assume must be removed. Do you have any more pictures showing the reinforcement bar and where it rubs on the intercooler? Do you have any pictures of the brackets you had to cut? Which model RAM did you do your installation on?
You mean their lawyers and insurance carrier wouldn鈥檛 let them install it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is a 2021 Limited. I've had no issues this far other than raised eyebrows from the dealer. :D

I don't have any more install pics, but the Draw-Tite install manual is good with the exception of the 3 points I noted in post #7. You'll really need to crawl under the truck to make better orientate yourself with what you're working with. Take the install manual with you and it'll all start making sense.

You will need to remove the tow hooks, so while doing that, make your life easier and fully remove the long bolt and toss the star washer that's holds it from dropping.

The first step is removing the dynamic air dam. Everything is easier, including removing the tow hooks, is easier once it's out of the way. You don't need to decide yet if you want to put the whole thing back in or just the motor.

The brackets that needed to be notched are plastic support brackets for the bumper. I used a oscillating saw to notch them, the air dam and the license plate holder.

It's not the reinforcement bar itself that touches the bottom of the intercooler frame, it's the carriage bolt that attaches the reinforcement bar to the hitch. There is no way it'll fit if you install the carriage bolt from the bottom. Insert it from the top before the hitch is mounted and it'll fit.

Registered
I finally installed the hitch. The online directions were much better than directions that came with it. I ended up placing a 3/8" shim between the hitch and the frame. This created a 1/8" gap between the head of the carriage bolt and the intercooler. Also I had to remove the intercooler in order to reattach the air dam. I wasn't able to remove the one long bolt and used the hardware that was supplied with the hitch. This ended up being an all day project. The end result is I don't have to remove my license plate to use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts