RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Merle, Took them off immediately when I got home and went to the tire shop and put on the BFG's K02. Talked to the owner of the tire shop whom I have known for 25+ years. He would not recommend them for the CTD because of the weight on the front and the fact that they really are not made for a lot of off road use like I do. He says they work really well on some Chevys and Fords and knows of some who have gotten 50 to 60000 miles on them. Rams on the other hand haven't gotten more than 40000 with the majority at 25000 that have come into his shop. He wanted me to buy the Michelin but had already decided on the BFG's. Just so you know I am not a Firestone man and never was after having issues with them back in the 90's.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John. Only reason I asked is I have 6K miles on them. Wearing well. Might survive first winter like the SRA's did with no issues and due for balance and rotation. Doing research.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Mine are showing some wear 7500 miles, and rotated at 4500 miles and air pressure kept consistent, but off road in sand and shell rock roads do a number on tires , I never get the mileage other folks get with there tires, I can't fault the tires to much . And I also have been doing a little research, once replacement is needed,most likely I'll go back with Nitto's Duragrapplers, and no particular reason, except they seem to wear the best for my use .

It's been extremely rainy and the Firestone tires do seem to channel the water well and I have not noticed any hydroplaning yet and hope not to as well .

Edit 7-26-16. It did slip my mind , but I did switch factory rims from 20" to 18" for better selection of tires and ride quality.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Want to know what you think of these tires if your CTD came with them?? Thanks.
While not on a CTD my Silverado 2500 work truck has them from the factory. Has 30K with minimal off road but should have little issue making 60-70K as they show minimal wear. While probably not good for off road they do work ok on highway with minimal noise. Not sure what the added weight of the diesel would do though.

Reactions: BlueMerleBC

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after some serious tire research if you have the 20 inch wheels the choices are even more limited than the 1500 with 20's. The reviews on the Transforce are all over the map especially in regards to winter performance and longevity. Not quite done but will post up the options shortly.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
List as promised 285/60/R20 Tires for 2500/3500 with approx cost per tire:

Firestone Transforce AT $185
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac $368
Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure $390
Michelin Defender LTX M/S $280
Nitto Exo Grappler AWT $327

The highest rated tire on most sites is the Michelin...but I like the Nitto. Toyo did not have a tire in this size.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Blue.......I edited my previous post to add I replaced my 20" rims to 18" , have you thought possibly of replacing your rims as well , because of cost of tires and different choices that may suit your needs ? And possibly the cost of rims could be a wash over the replacement cost of several sets of tires?
Just a thought :confused:

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quite a deal John...No problem with 20's had them on Plan B and went with Nitto G2's at 15K miles. Sad they don't make a G2 for this size or I would do it without waiting for 1st snow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I upgraded from the factory tires size (275/70R18) to a Nitto terra grappler G2 in size 285/75/18. I have about 1000 miles and seem to be a bit more "soft" but do have a 50,000 mile warranty. For those who wonder, the size it right at 35." But a bit more narrow and not as wide at most 35x12.5x18. I personally like the look and better rolling resistance than the wider bunch.

So far so good with the Nittos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts