RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is regening every 125 miles. That seems excessive to me, but even if it's normal operation, it's highly annoying. I have looked into fuel additives to help with this, but the only thing I was able to come up with was Lucas Diesel Deep Fuel System Clean. I can get it online for about $8/bottle, but locally they want up to $18/bottle. Is it worth it to give this a try? Is there anything else out there to keep that stupid DPF from clogging up so quickly? And before anyone says the DPF isn't stupid, it is. I'm from a old school trucking family, and I know how diesels should operate, and this crap that's on them now kills them. I wish folks would go hug trees in another country and leave our engines alone.

Info on the truck: Brand new 2016 Laramie 4X4 with about 900 miles currently. My driving is about 70% short, in town trips. It's going through regen about every 3rd day at about 125 miles. Usually occurs at 71%-73% soot, and reduces it to 9% each time, with EGT 3 reading roughly 1150 degrees during regen. Even with most of my driving being around town and doing a couple of regens a week, the truck is still getting 23.8 mpg hand calculated. No complaints as far as that goes.

Any info short of a DPF delete appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Your truck sounds normal as stated above. Short trips increases the regen frequency. I was the same around 125 factory tune. Added GDE tune and now anywhere from 600 to 1K if all highway. Welcome and congrats on the new truck.

Reactions: gawoods

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
GDE tune will solve that plus help the engine run better all way around.

Reactions: gawoods

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
X10 the above!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine is regen at 65% soot. Usually goes down to 9% when finished but immediately starts to climb back up. Like everyone else says Stop-N-Go driving will create the need to "ReGen" more frequently. According to, FCA there is nothing special to do with these engines except drive them as you would any other engine. If I find myself pulling into the driveway just when my truck starts a "ReGen" no problem, it will start the RG over again when the ECM tells it to. Some owners feel the need to continue driving unnecessarily until the process completes but, I don't.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I wish there was a way to stop a regen before it starts. Up to 80% full we should have a choice of when it does its thing. Above 80% concede control to the brains and let it do its thing....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Driving habits and your drive will affect it. My truck isn't tuned and it doesn't regenerate near as often as yours. I drive mostly highway and I'm not an on the gas off the gas and back hard on the gas pedal again driver and rarely put it under hard acceleration.

Even without a tuner you can tell when your truck is going through a regen just by watching the fuel economy while driving.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Anyone run SeaFoam in theirs?

I have run a can of the stuff through the gas every oil change for most of my vehicles including a duramax and 5.9 cummins. Wondering if it has any ill effects on the exhaust system of our trucks.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,002 Posts
how do you know its doing a regen?
without a monitor, you'll see slightly low fuel economy. The for sure way is with a monitor, your EGTs will be up over 1000°
Then there is also the 80% full notification, stating to keep driving.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Driving habits and your drive will affect it. My truck isn't tuned and it doesn't regenerate near as often as yours. I drive mostly highway and I'm not an on the gas off the gas and back hard on the gas pedal again driver and rarely put it under hard acceleration.

Even without a tuner you can tell when your truck is going through a regen just by watching the fuel economy while driving.
The fuel economy isn't going to dip long enough or fast enough unless you've just reset the clock before the regen.

Easiest way to tell is you'll feel a drop in power; but a lot of people won't even notice this.

It doesn't matter if the truck is regening every 700km or every 7km - as long as you're happy with how it works for you and your fuel economy. Frequent regens will affect economy but it's not noticeable to the average driver.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The fuel economy isn't going to dip long enough or fast enough unless you've just reset the clock before the regen.

Easiest way to tell is you'll feel a drop in power; but a lot of people won't even notice this.

It doesn't matter if the truck is regening every 700km or every 7km - as long as you're happy with how it works for you and your fuel economy. Frequent regens will affect economy but it's not noticeable to the average driver.
I've never felt a drop in power while in regen. If anything, it is more responsive to throttle input. Fuel economy instant values drop about 3MPG from what I've seen, and I've noticed that when going down an incline that would normally read 99MPG, it'll read more like 35-40 if it is in regen. The long-term fuel economy running average doesn't move more than maybe a tenth or two in my experience (wind will have more impact).

OBD gauge is the best way to see when the truck regens. My truck now regens between 800-850 miles since GDE tune, way up from the 90-200 I saw when it was running the stock tune.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Why do we worry about when and how many times our trucks regenerates? These trucks are designed to operate this way to meet emission standards, as mandated by our EPA to save our grandchildren. My wife says that we are like a bunch of overly worried mothers wondering when the baby is going to burp or go poopie. If you just forget that it's there and drive, most of us will never be aware of it. Most of my driving is short trips and I have never had the EVIC message to drive freeway. I have to believe from my experience that if you do ever get the message, something isn't functioning quite right, you are leaving your truck idling overnight or some other negligent thing.

But, for those who like to monitor or curtail regens, I get it. It's just not my bag, as I purchased my truck to drive and I don't need one more thing on my mind. In fact, it's getting harder just to keep one thing in mind. :rolleyes:

I do occasionally see the EVIC message below, as my truck finishes a regen.

panel.jpg

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
All joking aside, I do have one concern regarding the frequency of regeneration. Because of my driving style, my truck regenerates on an average of every 70 miles. Over 100K miles it will have to regenerate about 1428 times. The question is, and I doubt that anyone knows the answer, will the DPF endure that before filling up with ash or meet with some other catastrophic failure? Certainly, those with the tune will fare better, albiet at the expense of our grandchildren. (couldn't help getting that dig in):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Order the GDE and fore get about it!

As for the emissions if the trucking industry would keep their trucks in good running order we wouldn't have most of this crap! I have to fallow tandem and triple axle dumps all the time that bellow so much black smoke you can hardly see behind them. They are hauling stone, dirt, asphalt and concrete debris from the five different road projects going on in NW Ohio. I'm not a tree huger but come on there is no reason any truck should belch out black smoke! Fix the injectors and or fuel system then you wouldn't have that much smoke! OK rant over :)

Reactions: Wingznut76

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Just like the 20 year old Honda I was behind yesterday that almost filled the intersection of 2 4-lane roads with blue smoke from how much oil it burned. That car produced more emissions than 100 vehicles that are maintained and in good working order.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I am a tinkerer. I enjoy knowing how things work... and when it comes to fixing things a little knowledge about how something functions goes a long way!

I do my own maintenance, I load my own bullets, and I like to know when my truck is regenerating :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
All joking aside, I do have one concern regarding the frequency of regeneration. Because of my driving style, my truck regenerates on an average of every 70 miles. Over 100K miles it will have to regenerate about 1428 times. The question is, and I doubt that anyone knows the answer, will the DPF endure that before filling up with ash or meet with some other catastrophic failure? Certainly, those with the tune will fare better, albiet at the expense of our grandchildren. (couldn't help getting that dig in):rolleyes:
Seeing the temps in the DPF during regen still amazes me. I've peaked as high as 680C (1256F). I know the system was designed for it. but I just feel better knowing I'm not subjecting my VERY expensive emissions system to that kind of extreme temp as often.............A conservative estimate would be 1/5 the amount of regens.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts