RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dumb question......how do you know its doing a regen?
I have an Edge Insight CTS2 monitor which plugs into the obd2 port which allows me to monitor numerous sensors on the truck. One is regen status and soot. When the soot level is 65% or above the computer triggers a regen.

2016 1500 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started using Kleen Diesel every time I fill up from 5000miles on the clock, however I am over 10,000 miles and have never had a forced regen.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That sounds very good for the EPA compliant tune.
Hi: 97hmcs... My only thoughts are what happens to the soot during a degenerate regen??? I do use Extreme Diesel fuel additive every so often but that plays havoc with my DEF use. Then I get a "What for" message from the EVIC!!! "You can't fool Mother Nature!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Diesel Extreme by Hot Shot's Secret will dramatically improve the amount of regens. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I now use it every 6 months. Here's a good read that explains how it works and why it works. How EDT and Diesel Extreme can Correct DPF and Regen Issues | Hot Shot's Secret
Interesting. I use Extreme and EDT and my regen periods are the same as they were before using HotShots. No regen improvement!

The above HotShot's article you directed us to says:
Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use and takes 10 minutes on average to complete. Passive regeneration takes place while driving using the heat of the exhaust. This works well for vehicles that drive longer distances with few stops compared to those that perform short trips with many starts and stops. If the filter develops too much pressure then the last type of regeneration must be used – a forced regeneration. This involves a garage using a computer program to run the car, initiating a manual regeneration of the DPF.

"Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use". The "is not" must be a typo as an active regen can only take place when the vehicle is in use.

I'm a fan of HotShot's as their products are proven to work. That said, their claim to improving regens and the article's examples create doubts. I agree that Extreme and EDT adds lubricity, cetane and cleans the fuel system. But making fuel burn cleaner, enough to noticeably reduce regens is a bit far-fetched.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Interesting. I use Extreme and EDT and my regen periods are the same as they were before using HotShots. No regen improvement!

The above HotShot's article you directed us to says:
Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use and takes 10 minutes on average to complete. Passive regeneration takes place while driving using the heat of the exhaust. This works well for vehicles that drive longer distances with few stops compared to those that perform short trips with many starts and stops. If the filter develops too much pressure then the last type of regeneration must be used – a forced regeneration. This involves a garage using a computer program to run the car, initiating a manual regeneration of the DPF.

"Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use". The "is not" must be a typo as an active regen can only take place when the vehicle is in use.

I'm a fan of HotShot's as their products are proven to work. That said, their claim to improving regens and the article's examples create doubts. I agree that Extreme and EDT adds lubricity, cetane and cleans the fuel system. But making fuel burn cleaner, enough to noticeably reduce regens is a bit far-fetched.
I believe the larger trucks do the active regen while stopped at a higher RPM. At least that's what my brother tells me is the case with the delivery box trucks they use.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
You probably kept your fuel system/injectors clean from the beginning. I never used fuel additives for the first 60,000 miles or so. A few winters ago, I was forced to hit the highway several times per month because the DPF filter needed to be cleaned. Once I added Diesel Extreme, I never saw that warning again. I add Diesel Extreme every 6 months/6,000 miles.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I believe the larger trucks do the active regen while stopped at a higher RPM. At least that's what my brother tells me is the case with the delivery box trucks they use.
Makes sense - learned something - thanks

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You probably kept your fuel system/injectors clean from the beginning. I never used fuel additives for the first 60,000 miles or so. A few winters ago, I was forced to hit the highway several times per month because the DPF filter needed to be cleaned. Once I added Diesel Extreme, I never saw that warning again. I add Diesel Extreme every 6 months/6,000 miles.
Ah ha! You are right. Have used additives from the beginning. Started using HotShots around 2000 miles. Still, it's interesting but good that HotShots made that noticeable;e difference in your case.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ah ha! You are right. Have used additives from the beginning. Started using HotShots around 2000 miles.
See, you're the smart one. (y) I had to learn the hard way.

Still, it's interesting but good that HotShots made that noticeable;e difference in your case.
There are some pretty interesting testimonials out there. There was an EcoDiesel owner that thought he needed to replace his clogged DPF. I think he had a code related to the DPF (P0420). Out of desperation, he ran Diesel Extreme and it completely restored his DPF and got rid of the warning light.

According to Hot Shot's Secret, "This complete burn results in less carbon being sent to the DPF; allowing the DPF to, in a sense, “catch up” with the current build up."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts