Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you use them?
Yes

Which one?
PowerService Diesel Kleen

Why? What advantage does it provide?
Primarily, it’s a Cetane booster. In theory, it helps reduce soot loading due to more complete combustion in high speed Diesel engines. It may also act as a mild lubrication enhancer, cleaner, and water dispersant. Cummins endorses it, so I feel it’s likely safe and beneficial, even if not necessary. I can absolutely tell a difference in the audible noise from the engine.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
While ive tried a lot of them over the years all I run now is Amsoil all in one if the weather is changing aka getting colder or im filling at an unknow station. Every once in a while I run 2 stroke oil as well just to try and keep the cp4 lubed but I dont know if it actually helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,601 Posts
Optilube XPD. I mainly use it for extra lubrication for the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Once used Opti-Lube - Summer Blend here in FL for 65kor so and liked it however changed about 90k ago to Hot Shots EDT.

Seems comparable yet less expensive. Both are excellent and boild down to individual preference IMO.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Don't typically use them.

Only one I have used was Diesel Kleen.

Bought a tank of questionable fuel, mileage was way down truck didn't run as well on it, changed fuel filter and hit it with a heavy shot of Diesel Kleen for a few tanks. On our other vehicles in the past I would run a can of seafoam every oil change in the fuel, but haven't yet in the ecodiesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve been using Howe’s Lubricate for 28 months now. Using to help with lubricity as fuel is lower in sulfur content. I’ve noticed a smoother idle. Mix 2oz per 5 gal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hot Shots EDT for me.

Quick question, how does everyone store their additive and funnel? Mine are in my RamBox in a plastic grocery bag.

The problem is any residual additive in the funnel dries and makes the funnel stick to the plastic bag.

·
Registered
181 Posts
While ive tried a lot of them over the years all I run now is Amsoil all in one if the weather is changing aka getting colder or im filling at an unknow station. Every once in a while I run 2 stroke oil as well just to try and keep the cp4 lubed but I dont know if it actually helps.
I also run Amsoil Diesel fuel treatment.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
EDT 2oz per tank.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In my Ecodiesel I use a combo of Archoil AR6200 and EDT, 2 oz per thankful
In my Ford 6.0 diesel that sits for weeks at a time, I use PRI-D (best for fuel stabilization). It will be the same for my ordered 2020 HO Cummins if it ever gets here.

Reactions: Gputah

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just had my EGR cooler replaced and asked for a report on the soot. Tech said it was the cleanest he'd ever seen. I have 47,000 miles and run 80% highway which is a huge factor compounded by the added cetane by running an additive. I'd prefer hot shots because it scientifically tested better but everyone here seems to carry Diesel Kleen so I use it. I have documented that my 2018 gets better mileage, performs better (cold start acceleration from a stop), I'd expect there to be less soot. I can only use the techs comments as evidence that it works or I have a unicorn truck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What brand do you use?
So far:
Started with Diesel Kleen - definitely quieter than without.
Have run OptiLube - couldn’t tell much difference to Diesel Kleen. Fairly sure lubricity is better based on studies.
Have used Red Line 85+ - This stuff is excellent - but expensive! Quiet Idle - great economy - and it’s noticeably quieter in the mid-range RPM - Cetane booster seems very effective in this product - noticeable increase in turbo whistle because the engine is quieter.
Currently using Hotshots EDT - engine likes this about the same as it does the Red Line - same results - MUCH less expensive!

Will probably try Howe’s - have heard good things about it as well. If anyone wants to send me a single tank dose, I’d appreciate it.
And I haven’t run AMSOIL in this one yet - definitely willing to try anything they make. Usually it’s top of the line, like Red Line - and just as expensive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I primarily use Power Service Diesel Kleen. I never had an issue with it. This is my first diesel vehicle, and the first year I owned my truck, I did not know you are supposed to use an additive. The first cold snap and my truck would not start—frozen fuel. Power Service 911 got me back up and running. Since then, I've been using both their winterize formula in the cold months and their regular one in the summer. If you use this, do you add the full dose recommendation or the half dose? I sometimes use the full and mostly just the half.

The last thing, I did try a bottle of Lucas Injector Cleaner once because of a youtube video I watched. Instant CEL for small fuel injection. I completely plugged up my fuel filter. Not sure if it was because it cleaned a lot of gunk then clogged the filter or because it was just too thick or because of the ECM flash. Dealer replaced the fuel filter, and the light went away. This was a few months after the first ECM recall flash was performed, so the dealer felt that was part of the issue, and I was also informed about changing my fuel filter every 10-15k miles instead of 15-20k miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So far:
Started with Diesel Kleen - definitely quieter than without.
Have run OptiLube - couldn’t tell much difference to Diesel Kleen. Fairly sure lubricity is better based on studies.
Have used Red Line 85+ - This stuff is excellent - but expensive! Quiet Idle - great economy - and it’s noticeably quieter in the mid-range RPM - Cetane booster seems very effective in this product - noticeable increase in turbo whistle because the engine is quieter.
Currently using Hotshots EDT - engine likes this about the same as it does the Red Line - same results - MUCH less expensive!

Will probably try Howe’s - have heard good things about it as well. If anyone wants to send me a single tank dose, I’d appreciate it.
And I haven’t run AMSOIL in this one yet - definitely willing to try anything they make. Usually it’s top of the line, like Red Line - and just as expensive!
I only use Amsoil, And I have had great results with it.

·
Registered
2017 Big Horn EcoDiesel, 4WD, Bilstein leveling kit, few mods here & there....
55 Posts
Do you use them?
Yes

Which one?
PowerService Diesel Kleen

Why? What advantage does it provide?
Primarily, it’s a Cetane booster. In theory, it helps reduce soot loading due to more complete combustion in high speed Diesel engines. It may also act as a mild lubrication enhancer, cleaner, and water dispersant. Cummins endorses it, so I feel it’s likely safe and beneficial, even if not necessary. I can absolutely tell a difference in the audible noise from the engine.
How much do you add per tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Max dosage on the bottle for normal use.
with EDT it’s 2 oz/tank. Red Line is 12 oz. been so long now since I used DK, I can’t recall.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts