RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
How much do you add per tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The complete name of the product that I use is called diesel injector clean + cetane boost .it is supposed to increase your cetane by eight points and improve fuel mileage by up to 8%. Clean dirty injectors add lubricity to reduce fuel pump and injector wear it is also alcohol free .Initially it states you to use two oz for 5 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The complete name of the product that I use is called diesel injector clean + cetane boost .it is supposed to increase your cetane by eight points and improve fuel mileage by up to 8%. Clean dirty injectors add lubricity to reduce fuel pump and injector wear it is also alcohol free .Initially it states you to use two oz for 5 gallons of fuel.
Power Service's Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost

I could not find anything saying it would increase cetane by eight points or improve fuel mileage by up to 8%.

Here is what their web site says:
1-Cleans dirty injectors and prevents injector sticking in both High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) and older systems
2-Removes both internal and external deposits on fuel injectors
3-Boosts cetane up to 6 numbers – engines run smoother with less power lag and faster cold starts
4-Boosts power – reduces need for downshifting
5-Restores lost power and fuel economy
6-Contains Slickdiesel® Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by poor quality Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
7-Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD, biodiesel and biodiesel blends

Keep using it. It is a great product. Cummins recommends it for their diesel engines.
Cummins Inc. Officially Recommends Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost For Optimized Engine Performance | Cummins Inc.

Reactions: eljefe

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Red Line Oil took time to do a scientific White Paper on their 85 Plus.

At full dose, it gives 3 to 9 Cetane improvement - What this tells us, is that the fuel around you affects the additives. Not all blends are the same.

Here in Cleveland/Akron, as best I can tell, we have no bio in the fuel. It’s 100% diesel.
The specific blends that we have, Diesel Kleen and OptiLube’s Cetane boosters, are less effective than Hotshots EDT, or Red Line.

I 100% believe your results will differ based on your geographic location.

On my 2020, the turbo takes on a noticeable whistle - like if you added a cold air intake. It sounds like a full size, where you simply hear the turbo spool on acceleration. A fellow Ram diesel owner was commenting on that sound from my Jeep last night!

That change in tone, occurs with EDT, or 85 Plus, but not with Diesel Kleen, or OptiLube.
That sound is indicative of improved combustion quality. (Higher Cetane, improves burn, etc.)

Perhaps if you live in Texas, the fuel blend is different, and you will not see the same. Maybe there, the Diesel Kleen will be the more effective additive. I have no way to know. The only thing I can say for sure, is that here, those 2 so far have had the greatest effect.

Yesterday, specifically, I forgot my additive. I had no whistle within a mile of leaving the station. Added it when I got back to the shop, was whistling before I got home!
I usually fill up at Costco, and they show to be “Top Tier” diesel - so it’s supposed to have healthy doses of lubricity additives and detergents.

You are welcome to look at my Fuelly logs.
10,352 Miles
2nd oil Change
9790 miles on current oil change.
275 hours - 24 Idle, 251 Drive
Average speed - 37.64 MPH
8.7% Idle Time
13.5% of total pulling a trailer.
25.6 Average MPG so far!

Of note: 40% of my miles have been in town.
The majority of the rest is interstate (high speeds - 75 mph), and typically across the mountains.

My primary concern was ensuring that the fuel has the necessary lubricity if I were to get some that was marginal for any reason.
As I have used the various additives from day 1 of ownership, I have seen the variance here. I can state that fuel in North Carolina did not appear to be as good. Economy suffered. I’ve filled up there twice, and neither Diesel Kleen nor EDT seemed to help it significantly. I would want to do some further testing if I still lived there, with Red Line, AMSOIL, or something else to see it it made a difference.

I started this thread to see what people were using, and WHY they were using it. Having 10K miles of experience with this one now, I’ve found that your results will vary! And it’s likely nothing to do with the quality of the additive! It’s probably the fuel where you are!

·
Registered
181 Posts

I could not find anything saying it would increase cetane by eight points or improve fuel mileage by up to 8%.

1-Cleans dirty injectors and prevents injector sticking in both High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) and older systems
3-Boosts cetane up to 6 numbers – engines run smoother with less power lag and faster cold starts
6-Contains Slickdiesel® Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by poor quality Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel

Keep using it. It is a great product. Cummins recommends it for their diesel engines.
Cummins Inc. Officially Recommends Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost For Optimized Engine Performance | Cummins Inc.
The Product that I was talking about is Amsoil diesel fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had no idea about diesel additives. Forgive the silly question, but how do you all get the additives down into the tank? Buy and store a long funnel? I imagine the additive needs to make it past the "second flap" of the fuel filler.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had no idea about diesel additives. Forgive the silly question, but how do you all get the additives down into the tank? Buy and store a long funnel? I imagine the additive needs to make it past the "second flap" of the fuel filler.
Exactly - a long funnel. I have one in each of my trucks. I buy the cheapest long funnel and trim one side of the top to fit better in the filler compartment

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Truck comes with the funnel, tied with the jack under the passenger seat..
That's a DEF funnel and if it's being used for DEF there are probably DEF crystals in it. I wouldn't use it for fuel additives. DEF is guaranteed fuel pump failure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know common sense isn't too common anymore but hopefully most of us wipe out all funnels before an after each use since they are often used for various things. I keep a few paper towels to wipe up any dribbles down the paint, and then clean the funnel and then stuff a new towel into the funnel and throw it back under the seat. Oh,and I mostly use my factory supplied funnel for putting in my extra 5 gallons of Propel renewable diesel:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Learned another thing new... I thought that skinny funnel was to use when filling diesel from a gas can. There is a cryptic picture of a funnel being used with a gas can on the back side of my fuel door.

But I digress off topic, lol. Fuel additive and a funnel will be purchased today. It seems Hot Shot EDT is readily available to me locally.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah wait a minute, that funnel is for a gas can, not for the DEF. The funnel is to get to the second trap door which the DEF doesn't have...

·
Registered
4,798 Posts

The Cummins Press release is interesting. The direct quote in it from their Director of Technical Quality and Materials Engineering says "The Power Service Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement additives provide easily-accessible solutions with proven technology to customers in the field when they encounter challenges with their fuel such as poor lubricity, low cetane numbers, low temperature operability issues, injector deposits, etc. Cummins Inc. is in a very unique position in that we design not only the engine but also the turbochargers, fuel system, and after treatment systems, which enables us to fully leverage the Power Service diesel fuel additive technologies.”

To me that specifically says, if you are having a fuel problems this is a good additive to use. Of course in the consumer market we seldom really know if we have fuel problems. It didn't go so far as to say they viewed fuel in the US market that meets specs to be problematic.

However, then the press release goes on to say, without direct quotes, With the advancement of diesel engine technology and to fully realize the benefits of today’s cleaner burning fuels, using Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost as a year-round performance enhancer cleans dirty injectors, prevents injector sticking, smooths rough-running engines and can improve fuel economy. This all translates into maximizing overall engine performance.

It will be very interesting to see if Ram revises their owner's manual to include this, or if they package an additive under the Mopar brand and recommend it (GM and BMW and I think Mercedes did this with Techron 20 years ago or so before the high detergent gasoline was generally available. I also wonder who much money Cummins got for this endorsement and if they will now be testing and endorsing other brands or if their deal with Power Service prevents that.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Reference funnels for fuel additives I will offer the following alternative solution. The Amsoil diesel fuel additives have a snout long enough to open both flaps. You can buy a few bottles and then refill them after use with your additive of choice. When I had my Ecodiesel I did that with winter time anti gel when I felt I needed to use it. Much neater than using a funnel etc. All the dirty work is done at home when you fill the bottles. When refuelling, take the cap off and shove the bottle in full length quickly and drain it and put the cap back on when empty and take it home to refill again.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Reference funnels for fuel additives I will offer the following alternative solution. The Amsoil diesel fuel additives have a snout long enough to open both flaps. You can buy a few bottles and then refill them after use with your additive of choice. When I had my Ecodiesel I did that with winter time anti gel when I felt I needed to use it. Much neater than using a funnel etc. All the dirty work is done at home when you fill the bottles. When refuelling, take the cap off and shove the bottle in full length quickly and drain it and put the cap back on when empty and take it home to refill again.
I didn't know that - a great idea for many.
I store my additive bottle and the funnel in the bottom pocket of the driver door, I don't think the Amsoil bottle would fit or store well with that long spout top. And it's a round bottle, may not fit in the door pocket anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Red Line Oil took time to do a scientific White Paper on their 85 Plus.

At full dose, it gives 3 to 9 Cetane improvement - What this tells us, is that the fuel around you affects the additives. Not all blends are the same.

Here in Cleveland/Akron, as best I can tell, we have no bio in the fuel. It’s 100% diesel.
The specific blends that we have, Diesel Kleen and OptiLube’s Cetane boosters, are less effective than Hotshots EDT, or Red Line.

I 100% believe your results will differ based on your geographic location.

On my 2020, the turbo takes on a noticeable whistle - like if you added a cold air intake. It sounds like a full size, where you simply hear the turbo spool on acceleration. A fellow Ram diesel owner was commenting on that sound from my Jeep last night!

That change in tone, occurs with EDT, or 85 Plus, but not with Diesel Kleen, or OptiLube.
That sound is indicative of improved combustion quality. (Higher Cetane, improves burn, etc.)

Perhaps if you live in Texas, the fuel blend is different, and you will not see the same. Maybe there, the Diesel Kleen will be the more effective additive. I have no way to know. The only thing I can say for sure, is that here, those 2 so far have had the greatest effect.

Yesterday, specifically, I forgot my additive. I had no whistle within a mile of leaving the station. Added it when I got back to the shop, was whistling before I got home!
I usually fill up at Costco, and they show to be “Top Tier” diesel - so it’s supposed to have healthy doses of lubricity additives and detergents.

You are welcome to look at my Fuelly logs.
10,352 Miles
2nd oil Change
9790 miles on current oil change.
275 hours - 24 Idle, 251 Drive
Average speed - 37.64 MPH
8.7% Idle Time
13.5% of total pulling a trailer.
25.6 Average MPG so far!

Of note: 40% of my miles have been in town.
The majority of the rest is interstate (high speeds - 75 mph), and typically across the mountains.

My primary concern was ensuring that the fuel has the necessary lubricity if I were to get some that was marginal for any reason.
As I have used the various additives from day 1 of ownership, I have seen the variance here. I can state that fuel in North Carolina did not appear to be as good. Economy suffered. I’ve filled up there twice, and neither Diesel Kleen nor EDT seemed to help it significantly. I would want to do some further testing if I still lived there, with Red Line, AMSOIL, or something else to see it it made a difference.

I started this thread to see what people were using, and WHY they were using it. Having 10K miles of experience with this one now, I’ve found that your results will vary! And it’s likely nothing to do with the quality of the additive! It’s probably the fuel where you are!
Have you tried Ansoil Diesel fuel cetane booster yet ?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts