RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried different fuel brands to see how their fuel mileage compares to other brands. I've been using QT and CHEVRON exclusively, they're the same price, and initially I thought the CHEVRON was going to shine, but they come in about the same, right around 21-23mpg depending on my foot.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The only thing I have noticed is that valero diesel seems inferior to me in some way form or fashion.

Our old 2004 duramax would lope at idle when running valero diesel, fill it up nearly anywhere else and it was smooth as glass. My ecodiesel seems to run louder on it as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Let your fuel filter do the talking for one thing, I looked after fleets of trucks if you find water, metal and slime ect. in your fuel filter get your fuel some where else. Look for a newer fuel station = newer fuel storage tanks, also raised area around the gas station bulk tank fill access = no water pooling around the station bulk fill port.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let your fuel filter do the talking for one thing, I looked after fleets of trucks if you find water, metal and slime ect. in your fuel filter get your fuel some where else. Look for a newer fuel station = newer fuel storage tanks, also raised area around the gas station bulk tank fill access = no water pooling around the station bulk fill port.
I also maintained fleet diesels, Locomotives, powerplants, rail support equipment, and an ambulance fleet, The ambos had very few fuel problems as evidenced by their filters.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It's all about 'splash fill additives' by the tanker driver delivering the fuel by brand. Yes it matters and I fine in FL with Exxon, Chevron, and Shell. Way above the Wawa, Gate, Racetrack garbage.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also maintained fleet diesels, Locomotives, powerplants, rail support equipment, and an ambulance fleet, The ambos had very few fuel problems as evidenced by their filters.
Not necessarily the filter it's self there can be water or emulsified water/fuel in the filter housing along with brass fillings and other crap in the filter bowl , if you see shit like that in your filter or filter housing get your ass outta dodge. I'm sure most major fuel companies have over whelmingly good fuel like Shell and Chevron among others . I'm not in love with Chervron fuel but Chevron in my experience has always been the cleanest, just ask the guys that change fuel filters on large fleets often. Stick with the same fuel station look at your filter and dump your housing into an ice cream bucket, look for water balls in the fuel. You see balls in your drained out fuel it's going to be water get fuel some where else.

·
Registered
245 Posts
People need to understand that both gas and diesel all comes from the same tank farms, one area may be owned by Exxon/Mobil, another area owned by Shell, another area owned by Chevron, and so on. The stations in that area no matter if they are Chevron, Shell, Mobil, Wawa, Costco, RaceTrack, Speedway the list goes on all get their fuel from the areas tank farm.

The fuel is manufactured to meet federal standards, what separates the fuels from one another is that Chevron fuel will get their Techron additive added to the tanker truck as it is filled up, Shell fuel will get their additive added to the tanker truck as it is filled up, Exxon/Mobil, BP, Costco get their additives added the list goes on. Some stations do not add any additive and just buy the fuel as it was manufactured to the federal standard.

The best gas will be those listed as Top Tier they have extra additives to clean the engines, you can go to the Top Tier website to find out which brands are certified Top Tier. Chevron, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, Costco are just four that are certified Top Tier. Pretty much all automotive owner manuals will say to use Top Tier fuel if available to keep the engine and emissions system performing at peak level.

Diesel fuel is not as closely regulated and the quality varies far more because of that, however Chevron and Exxon/Mobil both have additives to improve diesel fuel sold from their branded stations, Chevron with Techron for Diesels and Exxon/Mobil with their Synergy additives. Shell has been harder to find information on their diesel fuel. Chevron is implementing their Techron additive in certain areas of the country while Exxon/Mobil is farther along and according to Exxon/Mobil website should have completed their Synergy additive to their branded diesel stations in 2019 so here in 2020 if Exxon/Mobil completed their project all their diesel fuel should have their Synergy additive for diesel fuel in it.

I personally use Chevron in my gas powered vehicles followed by Shell and Exxon/Mobil, for my Diesel powered vehicles which is my Ram 1500 and my John Deere tractor I use Chevron and Exxon/Mobil diesel fuel and I add additives to them. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen which is recommended by Cummins and I am trying some of this Hot Shot additive. The Hot Shot seems to be more concentrated but also not as readily available as Power Service Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi: All... IDK why but I get better mileage at home with Mobil Diesel than say the fuel at Wal-Mart or Speedway in the sunny south. At the moment I'm up to 45 days to the gallon, but that's Co-Vivid 19 for ya!!! Not towing anywhere either. Is it just ME?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie
P1030936.JPG

·
Registered
302 Posts
Flash foods and walmart sell the cheapest diesel around here and I get noticeable worse fuel mileage with those (minus 2-3mpg). Kroger is close no price and seems to get comparable fuel mileage to Shell and Chevron. I typically fuel at shell because it's close to the house. I don't get hung up on pay $3.00 extra too fill up for the convenience.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I assume walmart and sams club sell the same fuels? I have ran almost exclusively sam's club diesel in my 2015 and get pretty exceptional fuel mileage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In Calif, Chevron (and ONLY Chevron) has a sticker on the pump saying that it will contain somewhere between 5% and 20% biodiesel/biomass based! I seem to drop close to 1mpg when using it vs. Costco (which has the only 'TopTier' diesel out here) or Shell and most recently Ralph's Supermarket (Kroger) fuel which they might get from Shell since their grocery 'rewards' program is set up with Shell whereas Vons (Safeway) is Chev/Texaco

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I filled up at the CHEVRON where I have been filling for the last month, fuel price has increased 6 cents there, so I'm price shopping again, we run from about 2.19.9 to about 2.56.9, depending on where, the QT is holding at 2.23.9.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Price shopping can lead to trouble, pick a station that is clean and has turn over, the few cents you save between paying say 1.99/9 vs paying 2.05/9 only comes out to $1.80 for 30 gallons of fuel. Are you really saving any money in the end looking for the cheapest price in town when you have to drive out of your way to buy that cheaper fuel.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In Calif, Chevron (and ONLY Chevron) has a sticker on the pump saying that it will contain somewhere between 5% and 20% biodiesel/biomass based!
My Costco pump says, "up to 5% biodiesel"

·
Registered
271 Posts
Been a while since I got it at Costco so maybe they added that since, but I believe all Calif diesel is mandated to have a min. amount of biodiesel added (to keep the biodiesel industry solvent?) 5% is ok, 20% no bueno. Heard somewhere that BMW allows no more than 7% biodiesel blend for its diesels so no Chevron-roulette for them

·
Registered
302 Posts
To add to what RaceHillsFarms stated: here all fuel, no matter what the sign says, comes from Marathon, it's the only refinery that supplies fuel to central Kentucky. There are lot of the retailers have signs on their diesel pumps stating that their diesel is a not "Exxon, Shell, etc..." product, most do not. Lucky that I leave in an area that has a huge amount of diesel trucks, most stations have significate turn over of fuel. The cheapest stations have the highest sales.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Price shopping can lead to trouble, pick a station that is clean and has turn over, the few cents you save between paying say 1.99/9 vs paying 2.05/9 only comes out to $1.80 for 30 gallons of fuel. Are you really saving any money in the end looking for the cheapest price in town when you have to drive out of your way to buy that cheaper fuel.
The places I fuel are truck stops and brand name fuels, QUICK TRIP and CHEVRON, those are the usual spots, sometimes a CIRCLE K which is a convenience store, and a local shell here in town, I think they all say they may contain a percentage of BIO. There's also a Loves next to the QT but they're about 30 cents higher , but I think they're showing heavy class prices. Also all of those stations are on my normal routes of travel, so there's no offset there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My Costco doesn't sell diesel but I do get gas there. I usually fill up the Eco at Fred Meyer's. They go through a ton of fuel so I know it's always pretty fresh. Plus I dump a couple ounces of Hot Sauce into the tank for good measure. Haven't really ever noticed a difference when fueling elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I actually alternate between Chevron, Exxon/Mobile, and Shell all at high traffic filling stations. Our Gate stations in JAX uses 90% BP fuels from the port however it's all about whether the tanker pilot splash fills the additives per brand or not.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Diesel is diesel for the most part, and they are not required to state if there’s biodiesel below 5% in the fuel. That being said 5-20% is supposed to be noted on the pump. Currently where I live in Arkansas there doesn’t seem to be a difference between any diesel fuel and it all comes from one storage facility. I treat the fuel myself with an additive, but if the wife fills one of the trucks I doubt that any additive makes it in the tank.
The truck she drives has a FASS fuel system. With a total of 3 fuel filters in the system I trust that clean diesel is the only thing that hits the injectors.
Up North where I’m from, Cenex offers Roadmaster XL and it is a premium diesel fuel and I did notice a difference in economy and injection noise compared to other brands. Exxon and their synergy or diesel efficient, depending on the area, seems to be ok, but can’t say I have ran it enough to notice a discernible difference.
There’s another fuel that has been slowing gaining traction where available. That’s Diesel Extreme, by Power Service. Which is an additive package mixed in with whatever brand of fuel the station sells. If the stores follow the strict regimen power service claims to make the stations follow, then it has to be incredibly clean and high quality diesel fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts