RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

· Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little issue with fuel diluting the engine oil. For the last three oil analyses the fuel dilution % is rising steadily.
10,000 miles-4%
10,000 miles-9%
5,500 miles 6% Oil Analyzers had initially estimated the dilution to be <2% but at the suggestion of @OhioTech I asked that they run the actual test and it was actually 6%. They recommended I change the oil and filter, so I did that yesterday. They also said to "find the source of fuel leak".
I tow a trailer some. I don't idle the truck excessively. I only drive the truck if the trip will be 20 miles or more. I buy diesel from Walmart/Murphy mostly. I have the AEM @GDE compliant tune. I average about 23 MPG in normal driving and 14 MPG towing. The regerations of the DPF are about 250-275 miles in general.

My plan is to-
1-Buy better diesel when I can (Exxon/Mobil Synergy)
2-Run Amsoil, Opti-Lube, Hot Shot's Diesel injector cleaner at full strength for the next 4,000 miles and send in another oil sample for testing.

Since the AEM extended warranty covers the injectors, what criteria would the dealer use to replace them? Just my oil samples? Oil analysis isn't required so if I didn't do that and changed my oil every 8,000 miles due to biodiesel I still could be harming my engine unknowingly.

I don't think I've seen anyone else that has had this problem on the Oil Analysis thread.

Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

· Registered
18 Posts
Try a fuel pressure test. I think a scanner will tell if your loosing pressure on the high side. Sorry I've not done this before but it would be a good start. Also check around the fuel injectors for possible leaky seal.

· Registered
245 Posts
I am no mechanic but using hot shots or buying fuel somewhere else wont help. That shouldn't effect fuel getting into oil that much. You have a water sepetator on the filter. I have heard that regrens that don't complete constantly due to short city driving cam be a factor. Diesel in oil should burn off if oil temps gets up to operating temp. Or you could be getting bad samples. I have watched dealers pull samples at all different times during oil drain. Again not a mechanic but maybe a leaking injector?
Excessive idle could be a factor too

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am no mechanic but using hot shots or buying fuel somewhere else wont help. That shouldn't effect fuel getting into oil that much. You have a water sepetator on the filter. I have heard that regrens that don't complete constantly due to short city driving cam be a factor. Diesel in oil should burn off if oil temps gets up to operating temp. Or you could be getting bad samples. I have watched dealers pull samples at all different times during oil drain. Again not a mechanic but maybe a leaking injector?
Excessive idle could be a factor too
Using a different fuel and injection cleaner won't hurt though. I did write above that I don't take short trips and I don't idle much. The last sample was taken after towing to Iowa and back home to Texas where the oil temps were over 230F for long periods of time. I took the samples hot with a vampire pump.

Does it run a little ruff when you first start it after a cold soak ? If so that "could" be the sign of a leaking Injector.
No. It starts and runs just fine on a cool 80 degree summer morning in Texas.

Has anyone had their injectors replaced under the AEM warranty?

· Registered
6,582 Posts
I would think the dealer would replace injectors based on the oil analysis. Even if they say no, at least it's documented that you brought the issue to their attention. Then any future issues leaves them on the hook.

· Registered
293 Posts
I have a little issue with fuel diluting the engine oil. For the last three oil analyses the fuel dilution % is rising steadily.
10,000 miles-4%
10,000 miles-9%
5,500 miles 6% Oil Analyzers had initially estimated the dilution to be I tow a trailer some. I don't idle the truck excessively. I only drive the truck if the trip will be 20 miles or more. I buy diesel from Walmart/Murphy mostly. I have the AEM @GDE compliant tune. I average about 23 MPG in normal driving and 14 MPG towing. The regerations of the DPF are about 250-275 miles in general.

My plan is to-
1-Buy better diesel when I can (Exxon/Mobil Synergy)
2-Run Amsoil, Opti-Lube, Hot Shot's Diesel injector cleaner at full strength for the next 4,000 miles and send in another oil sample for testing.

Since the AEM extended warranty covers the injectors, what criteria would the dealer use to replace them? Just my oil samples? Oil analysis isn't required so if I didn't do that and changed my oil every 8,000 miles due to biodiesel I still could be harming my engine unknowingly.

I don't think I've seen anyone else that has had this problem on the Oil Analysis thread.

View attachment 92496
My truck is a 14, 116k miles and about identical to yours as far as tuning, MPG and DPF regen intervals. My last oil change it was stated my Fuel Dilution was around 6%. That was at a 10k mile interval. I’m planning to pull a sample at 5000 miles and test again. All my testing up to date has been flawless until this previous one. I did black stone before Oil Analyzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,556 Posts
I’d guess sticking injector, But I’ve gotta ask , Are you getting more regen’s than normal? Possibly diluting oil with excessive fuel from regens …
Your DPF could be getting tired…. DPF filters crap out around 120-150k miles ….

· Registered
480 Posts
He questioned how many of these may have had a bearing failure due to dilution that did not know they had dilution - there’s 2 in this thread alone seeing high dilution values - and the majority of UOAs are Blackstone, or similar to yours, still in spec so dilution isn’t necessarily tested.

The higher mileage failures we are seeing may be related to injector wear from inadequate filtration (Doc’s Fuel Filter doesn’t pass the recommended ISO 4006 numbers, for example) and/or pump abrasion (not using a fuel additive or effective dosage with an effective lubricity improver).

What is the inquiry? Inquiring minds want to know! Lol

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d guess sticking injector, But I’ve gotta ask , Are you getting more regen’s than normal? Possibly diluting oil with excessive fuel from regens …
Your DPF could be getting tired…. DPF filters crap out around 120-150k miles ….
Well, hopefully enough injector cleaner can un stick it. As far as regens, they are the same 250-275 miles that they've been since getting the AEM and the GDE EPA compliant tune in May '21. Of course this is much less than the 700 mile interval with the original GDE Hot tune.
He questioned how many of these may have had a bearing failure due to dilution that did not know they had dilution - there’s 2 in this thread alone seeing high dilution values - and the majority of UOAs are Blackstone, or similar to yours, still in spec so dilution isn’t necessarily tested.

The higher mileage failures we are seeing may be related to injector wear from inadequate filtration (Doc’s Fuel Filter doesn’t pass the recommended ISO 4006 numbers, for example) and/or pump abrasion (not using a fuel additive or effective dosage with an effective lubricity improver).
OK understand. Thanks. It is definitely a possibility for many people to unknowingly have fuel diluted oil.
On the fuel filter- Is there a filter that meets this ISO 4006?

· Registered
480 Posts
Well, hopefully enough injector cleaner can un stick it. As far as regens, they are the same 250-275 miles that they've been since getting the AEM and the GDE EPA compliant tune in May '21. Of course this is much less than the 700 mile interval with the original GDE Hot tune.

OK understand. Thanks. It is definitely a possibility for many people to unknowingly have fuel diluted oil.
On the fuel filter- Is there a filter that meets this ISO 4006?
Cummins/Fleetguard filters meet the requirements. Parker/Baldwin meets the requirements. For these trucks - I’m not certain what is available.

· Registered
93 Posts
I am almost positive that fuel dilution caused my failure at 88k on a '15. 5k after last oil change. Oil level when it failed was way above the high mark and reeked of diesel. I brought this to their attention and the $7k they wanted to replace my motor, with only AEM warranty, eventually got down to $3k.

· Registered
31 Posts
My 2016 Lariat just went in today to the dealer for fuel dilution. I don't know the percentage but after I put on a bypass filter and ran for 7k I had it tested and it came back red for dilution. I changed the oil and both filters added another 100 bucks worth of T6 drove it for 2600 miles and tested and it came up orange on the testing. Truck has 34600 miles runs great, has a GDE tune, regens every 100 to 120 miles (really annoying).

We'll see what the tech finds, but I am suspecting a bad injector and I'm worried if they don't find it that cylinder will be wasted from the lubricant wash down.

So we have seen pictures of torn down engines with the mains totally plugged with soot or carbon, now there is this dilution problem. Gee I wonder why these thing are checking out.....

Guess I'll just use straight 30w and change it every 2000 miles, what a joke, and don't bother to tell me to sell it if I don't like it, I don't intend to take the 20 to 30 grand depreciation hit, and that is a really stupid, ignorant response. I paid 50 grand for a recall queen that has to be held together with bailing twine and duct tape and limp mode.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

· Registered
32 Posts
I think the dealer will not be able to warranty anything based off of any customers tests done outside of dealer network . Just my guess . As far as what your techs should check in this situation it is discussed in this video . Fuel correction. Something I like to do is pull out my dipstick and get a couple drops on a non painted piece of cardboard . Fuel saturated diesel oil will leave a less wet ring around the oil in the center . Does what is happening in your bearings .
P0299 ECODIESEL 3.0 PART 3

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where is the best place to get the oil analyzer test kits from?
I buy the kits from Amsoil. If you are a "preferred customer" they are about $22.
If you get the kit with shipping included it will go to the lab in Indy. If you buy the kit without postage you can choose which lab to send it to. Since you're close to Houston, that would be the option that would probably take the least amount of time. The UPS pre-paid is convenient though.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for sharing this video. This is what @OhioTech was talking about in this post on the OA thread.

Definitely need to investigate this further.

I think the dealer will not be able to warranty anything based off of any customers tests done outside of dealer network . Just my guess . As far as what your techs should check in this situation it is discussed in this video . Fuel correction. Something I like to do is pull out my dipstick and get a couple drops on a non painted piece of cardboard . Fuel saturated diesel oil will leave a less wet ring around the oil in the center . Does what is happening in your bearings .
P0299 ECODIESEL 3.0 PART 3

1 - 20 of 169 Posts