RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember going on a camping trip 2 years ago, and stopping at Pilot for fuel. That station didn't have car diesel pumps and I had to use the big truck pumps. Not easy. I have since gotten an Audi kit that has an adapter funnel for doing it. Now comes the new capless system for the ram. Anyone try filling up with a truck high flow nozzle? Will there be a way to make it work? Is the Ram funnel wide enough if the high flow nozzel is too wide for the capless system?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would think it's the same capless system used on the 2500/3500. And the big nozzles works fine. Just make sure to get all the way in.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's some kind of checkvalve or something about 6" down the filler tube. Those big rig large dia. nozzles flow fuel awful fast. I figure you'd have to be darn careful with the big nozzle to keep the flow rate low or you'd get diesel sprayed back at you.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
There is??? I stuck a plastic rod up through mine when I cut that flexible filler pipe off to install the extra tank filler tube. Unless I missed that obstruction, it went to the top flap. That hard tube is not all that long either.

As an aside it's been frustrating until yesterday filling from my auxiliary tank. Real slow fill rate. Yesterday I added a filter into the fuel line. Took the cap off and tested the line. Flat out poured fuel fast into my truck bed.

Pissed off a bit, I gave it some thought. RDS never mentioned anything about their fuel cap. Could it be non-vented?

Pulled off the vent tube cap and added a small piece of fuel line with another filter on the end to keep debris out of the tank. 15 gallon then dumped in less than an hour. I didn't really time it but learned. The fuel tank cap on RDS tanks is not vented.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is??? I stuck a plastic rod up through mine when I cut that flexible filler pipe off to install the extra tank filler tube. Unless I missed that obstruction, it went to the top flap. That hard tube is not all that long either.

As an aside it's been frustrating until yesterday filling from my auxiliary tank. Real slow fill rate. Yesterday I added a filter into the fuel line. Took the cap off and tested the line. Flat out poured fuel fast into my truck bed.

Pissed off a bit, I gave it some thought. RDS never mentioned anything about their fuel cap. Could it be non-vented?

Pulled off the vent tube cap and added a small piece of fuel line with another filter on the end to keep debris out of the tank. 15 gallon then dumped in less than an hour. I didn't really time it but learned. The fuel tank cap on RDS tanks is not vented.
Look down the filler tube with a flashlight and you can see the valve or whatever it is.

My aux tank empties mighty slow too. I should check to see that it's vent really is venting. You can get a cap for your tank that has an integrated vent.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Just wrote RDS bitching at them about not marking it on the cap and not reminding dummies like me about that issue. After I changed the vent it dumped 15 gallons in maybe an hour or so.

I took a piece of fuel line, stuck a cheap. little gas filter on one end and the line onto the tank vent. Hung that thing over the side of the tank near the bed. Hopefully no dirt or debris will find it's way up the tube into the tank as it vents.

I will look into that filler later today at the motorcycle races.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use the high flow nozzle at my local Chevron. No issues at all.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
tried the high speed pump today at petro canada in sharbot lake, you can't open it up all the way it gets backed up and clicks off! Tried moving it around still no dice

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the high flow nozzle at my local Chevron. No issues at all.
tried the high speed pump today at petro canada in sharbot lake, you can't open it up all the way it gets backed up and clicks off! Tried moving it around still no dice
Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Local stations ie Chevron typically don't have these type of fuel nozzles, only truck stops etc TA, Road Pilot etc. The nozzle is about 1/2" bigger than normal.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My very first fill was at the big truck lane at my local glassmar. It fit... and it will open the second flap... but it flows so much... it would kick off. All I did was set the catch on the first notch (that holds the handle) and it filled just fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Truck stops with 30 GPM (gallons per minute) pumps will cause issues. Can use this pump but can't go wide open, use the lower flow handle setting. Typically these pumps will have a matching satellite pump for fueling both tanks on a tractor simutaneously.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
You guys are right. There is a second fuel "door" just a couple inches below the top one. It even looks about the same.

That tells me you need a pretty long fuel filler tube to even open up the second "door".

·
Registered
827 Posts
You guys are right. There is a second fuel "door" just a couple inches below the top one. It even looks about the same.

That tells me you need a pretty long fuel filler tube to even open up the second "door".
I experimented with this while topping off last night. I think the way the 2nd door is designed to work is that the pump handle filler tube is supposed to get shoved down deeply enough that it opens the 2nd door. The design has the 2nd door a little too deep imo. It would be easy to put the handle filler tube in not deep enough, squeeze the handle and get drenched with diesel. This, of course, would happen to you en route to a job interview.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
At my age I'm qualified to be a medical or funeral home customer. They can take care of stains in my pants.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
It's of little consequence. I put it between my extra bed tank and the main fill line. Everything will run through the factory filter under the truck.

My additional filter will only stop debris. It has no water separator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts