RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new Fuel Fill is 52029931AF $475 for my truck. It was -30C and this broke. Poor design. Has anyone come up with a better solution. Retrofitting an older fuel fill is what I might try.

No need to comment on the dust from behind filler door. That doesn’t solve my problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 ram ecodiesel. 38k
62 Posts
A new Fuel Fill is 52029931AF $475 for my truck. It was -30C and this broke. Poor design. Has anyone come up with a better solution. Retrofitting an older fuel fill is what I might try.

No need to comment on the dust from behind filler door. That doesn’t solve my problem. Thanks.
View attachment 88821
this member made his own.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Posted this in the other thread too:
What about a hose clamp to go around the top of the filler neck to reenforce the plastic? I know that doesn't help the already broken ones but maybe it will help others from breaking.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This poor and unimaginative design was brought to you by FCA. Your friendly and not so local hose dealer. Their motto is "If it worked in the past, we will find a way to solve that problem.". Or, stated another way, if it isn't broke, we haven't engineered it.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Why did they ever move from the tried and true method of having a hole with a fuel cap. Worked for probably a century and then some fluffheaded butterfly too lazy to remove a gas cap invented this junk.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I still have my original fuel cap, but lots of others have purchased those Aluminum type caps. That link member Rlckl posted seems to have a good suggestion. Good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
$475 for a fuel fill neck is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the quote they give you to replace the Bosch CP4 injection pump when some of that dirt and grime makes its way down that fuel fill.

Anyway, my rule of thumb is that at -20F (-30C) all bets are off. That's just insane weather and no rational human would choose to live in a place like that, much less get pissed off when things stop working properly. :)

I think what I'd do in your situation is maybe get it replaced and then try something that has been suggested above and wrap it with something to help keep it intact in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts