RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When filling the tank I learned to put the nozzle all the way deep into the tank or it will come running out below. And you can't milk the tank all the way full till all the foam is gone like I used to do with my old Powerstrokes. Filling to the rim was how I was able to do hand calc. for mpg. I don't understand how someone can hand calculate without knowing where the fuel level is in the tank. Foam can take up a lot of the volume. Be careful you can make a mess if your not used to it. The manual probably tells you this but who reads that.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When filling the tank I learned to put the nozzle all the way deep into the tank or it will come running out below. And you can't milk the tank all the way full till all the foam is gone like I used to do with my old Powerstrokes. Filling to the rim was how I was able to do hand calc. for mpg. I don't understand how someone can hand calculate without knowing where the fuel level is in the tank. Foam can take up a lot of the volume. Be careful you can make a mess if your not used to it. The manual probably tells you this but who reads that.
Ha ha, well, I have read much of it during the long production delays. It says: "CAUTION! To avoid fuel spillage and overfilling, do not “top off” the fuel tank after filling."

One interesting item is that a funnel is provided (with the jack under the passenger seat) to open the flapper door to allow emergency refueling with a fuel can. Evidently, most fuel cans will not open the flapper door.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hmm, glad you brought this up. It was another question I've had rolling around, didn't figure many would try.

I do this all the for my VW, and can easily put in another 1/2 to full gallon in once the nozzle clicks off. With a round trip commute of 156 miles each day, that little bit goes a long way. Must....find...a way....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just read the pump.

The amount of fuel isn't changing, and when the "foam" settles down, it's back to liquid again, so what you pumped in is what's in there. Fuel economy is based on distance over fuel used, so if you let it click off at the pump, record distance, top up until it clicks off again on its own, your readings will be as accurate as you trying to hand fill to the edge of the filler.

Me, I like to top up. Learned this with my Golf TDI, which was capable of sucking down an extra gallon + after it was apparently full and clicked off. That gallon of fuel was easily another 100 kms in range (back home in Canada). I do the same with our Beetle TDI now (same fuel system in both cars, in fact). I'll have to play with the new truck to see what's realistic. No fun having diesel fuel running down the side of the rig...or on ANY part of your person - STINKY for long time!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just remembered that the fellow who did the mileage run added an extra 2 gallons over the normal 26-gallon capacity, so it can be done.

Reactions: Diesel997

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just read the pump.

The amount of fuel isn't changing, and when the "foam" settles down, it's back to liquid again, so what you pumped in is what's in there. Fuel economy is based on distance over fuel used, so if you let it click off at the pump, record distance, top up until it clicks off again on its own, your readings will be as accurate as you trying to hand fill to the edge of the filler.

Me, I like to top up. Learned this with my Golf TDI, which was capable of sucking down an extra gallon + after it was apparently full and clicked off. That gallon of fuel was easily another 100 kms in range (back home in Canada). I do the same with our Beetle TDI now (same fuel system in both cars, in fact). I'll have to play with the new truck to see what's realistic. No fun having diesel fuel running down the side of the rig...or on ANY part of your person - STINKY for long time!
I still believe in the lie-o-meter than the lie-o-humans ability to get the the same amount of fuel in each time jmo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've been using fuelly.com to track my mileage as seen in the signature below. I do a quick mental calculation of how many gallons I'll need to top off. Then I fill up until the pump cuts off. If it's near my calculation I'm done. If it's short, I try squeezing in another bit until it cuts off again.

Any short fills will eventually average out over time for a truer MPG calculation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts