RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Fuel filter charge experience

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  biodiesel 
#1 ·
Has anyone else gotten some pretty outrageous charges for this work to be done? I asked my local dealer if they could just do the fuel filter while they did my oil change thinking it would maybe be 60$. They wanted 175 and I ended up laughing over how insane that was. I ended up just doing it myself after I realized how easy the fuel filter change was.

#5 ·
Had my first fuel filter done by the dealer during an oil change. I don't recall the exact amount but it was well over $200. When I complained they showed me the price of the part and I found out they replaced the entire filter/canister assembly, not just the cartridge inside it. I then had to prove to them that there was indeed a cartridge inside it, and it only cost $40 (at the time). They gave me a refund.

I allowed them to do the filters after that as I had an oil change package so it was convenient, and the price was reasonable once they knew what they were doing. Once my oil change package ran out I started doing them myself.

#10 · (Edited)
These fuel filter threads come up all the time. Captainmal nailed it. The problem is that we've got grown men who can't even turn a knob anymore. There is zero skill or knowledge regarding vehicles in the average male these days. And dealers/shops eat it up like candy.

The fuel filter is the easiest thing you can do on the 3rd Gen EcoD. You do need the correct socket, which I think is a 21mm? But you literally unscrew the cap, pull the old filter out noting the direction it's installed, then insert the new filter in the same direction. Pop the new O-ring on the filter cap and screw it back on. My son could do that job when he was 6 years old. Last I checked cost is $37 bucks if you get the filter online.

www.dieselfiltersonline.com

#11 ·
Oh sweet, thanks for the link. That is a lot cheaper then buying it from autozone. Thou to be fair some people just are not mechanically inclined. I am a welder going on almost 20 years and have very little mechanical experience but being handy by trade I know some things I can just watch a quick video and figure it out. That being said I do pay for someone else to do my oil change while under full warranty. It's a little bit of a pain for me to handle and dispose of used oil when I do not have a garage to work on it and I can get super affordable oil change deal packages.

#12 ·
I was just quoted $325 from a dealer to change the fuel filters? plural?? she said filters. I have a 2021 3.0 Ecodiesel that will be at 30k in a month. So I asked for prices on what was the recommended service. Rear differential $215, Front differential $133 , Transmission Fluid $234, Oil change $222 I will check the manual to see what it says. I bought the truck in July with 17k

#13 ·
Maybe they put one filter in the housing and another in the glove box for later? Not to be sexist but "she" said it. Guessing "she" is not the mechanic (tech today) who will work on it. Maybe she misread from the list of responses she is supposed to use to reply to callers?

Be flexible with people so you don't break ... break out laughing.

#14 · (Edited)
I got two vary different quotes from my two closest dealers for a fuel filter change added to the oil change. One dealer had a separate line item for draining the water. They then had the same line item under the fuel filter replacement. So they were charging twice for draining water that might not even be there. It's not that "I can't" but more of a "I choose not to". If I have the money to give to my local independent garage rather than crawling under the truck, so be it. I may reconsider once retired, but then again, maybe not.

#15 ·
I remember having a few free oil changes. On one of those free oil changes, they also replaced the fuel filter for free. I just had to provide the part. It's interesting learning how some dealers are customer serviced oriented and other dealers are looking for a money grab.

Reactions: SlowRoller
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.