RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my fuel filter this weekend along with the oil. I bought the Geno's garage fuel filter removal tool. When I unscrewed the yellow screw, almost no fuel came out. It got wet but nothing dripped. I used the plastic bag around the filter, that worked great (Thanks for the tip guys). I bought an EZ oil drain valve for the oil pan which got me to thinking, why can't I use one for the fuel filter. I was able to figure out the size of the hole and the thread from the Geno's garage replacement plug. Went to the web site, found the correct size thread. I contacted them asking what pressure the valve is good for, answer is 120psi. So while changing the filter I put on my new EZ drain valve. Next time it should be super easy to drain the fuel. Here are a few pics..

New filter & old filter after 30K miles.

My new valve, I modified the yellow screw(cut it shorter) to fit in the valve to keep road crap out.

I might order an extra brass fuel plug from Geno's garage and cut it down so I will have one for the oil valve also. I'll cut the one I have now to see how it fits.
The valve is from EZoildrainvalve.com part # EZ-109 / 12mm-1.5 / 6.5 mm.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Interesting thought, looks handy and hope it works out well.

With a service interval of 30k miles it just seems like to much effort for little reward to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With my filter being that dirty, I'm going to see what it looks like at 15K. Plus we are supposed to drain the water out every 10K. This will make that a lot easier.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Neat mod, thank you for sharing.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
I changed my fuel filter this weekend along with the oil. I bought the Geno's garage fuel filter removal tool. When I unscrewed the yellow screw, almost no fuel came out. It got wet but nothing dripped. I used the plastic bag around the filter, that worked great (Thanks for the tip guys). I bought an EZ oil drain valve for the oil pan which got me to thinking, why can't I use one for the fuel filter. I was able to figure out the size of the hole and the thread from the Geno's garage replacement plug. Went to the web site, found the correct size thread. I contacted them asking what pressure the valve is good for, answer is 120psi. So while changing the filter I put on my new EZ drain valve. Next time it should be super easy to drain the fuel. Here are a few pics..
Thanks for sharing. I copied it over the the DIY How To Section for future reference.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Will definitely make draining housing easier although anything is better than the plastic plug FCA used. I installed the Geno's drain plug when I changed my fuel filter and will see how it works next time.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Your filter it will look darker almost immediately the colour of the filter does not mean that it is plugged

My 2014 with 177,000 kms on their original filter my 2016 is not 131,000 km with original fuel filter never had a problem

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
Your filter it will look darker almost immediately the colour of the filter does not mean that it is plugged

My 2014 with 177,000 kms on their original filter my 2016 is not 131,000 km with original fuel filter never had a problem
I had a feeling you were going to say that. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
can u post a link to the drain you ended up using? also what size O ring did you use? my geno drain plug O ring finally let go so i had to make shift some stuff. i like this drain idea.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
can u post a link to the drain you ended up using? also what size O ring did you use? my geno drain plug O ring finally let go so i had to make shift some stuff. i like this drain idea.
I bought the # EZ-109 / 12mm-1.5 / 6.5 mm drain plug and the black cap.
Here is a link to the black cap.
here is a link to the valve.

The O ring is on the drain valve. When you tighten the valve to the housing you have to open it to get the arm out of the way. Just make sure you close it after you tighten it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This won't fully solve the problem. The problem is that filter canister doesn't have a vent, so, a suction develops when you are trying to drain it. Fuel will drain out until the suction builds. Putting a drain valve won't fix this. You will still need to unscrew the filter cap in order to release this suction. Plus, with the valve in the way, YOU CAN'T FIT THE FUEL FILTER WRENCH! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Therefore you'll need to take the valve off every time...which kind of defeats the whole purpose of an EZ-Drain valve wouldn't you say?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This won't fully solve the problem. The problem is that filter canister doesn't have a vent, so, a suction develops when you are trying to drain it. Fuel will drain out until the suction builds. Putting a drain valve won't fix this. You will still need to unscrew the filter cap in order to release this suction. Plus, with the valve in the way, YOU CAN'T FIT THE FUEL FILTER WRENCH! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Therefore you'll need to take the valve off every time...which kind of defeats the whole purpose of an EZ-Drain valve wouldn't you say?
I agree with you, that you have to remove the valve because the filter wrench won't fit. That is why I'm modifying the Geno's filter wrench so I don't have to. Just adding about 1 - 2" to the top. This way you can crack it open, release the pressure, then fully drain it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with you, that you have to remove the valve because the filter wrench won't fit. That is why I'm modifying the Geno's filter wrench so I don't have to. Just adding about 1 - 2" to the top. This way you can crack it open, release the pressure, then fully drain it.
;););););)

Gotcha.

PM me with your address and I'll send you one of ours no charge. No reason to grind up the $50 version!

I'm going to contact Fumoto to see if they have a smaller compact option for this.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Pics of the filter wrench mod please.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
;););););)

Gotcha.

PM me with your address and I'll send you one of ours no charge. No reason to grind up the $50 version!

I'm going to contact Fumoto to see if they have a smaller compact option for this.
PM coming your way

Pics of the filter wrench mod please.
I haven't had time to take it to get the extension welded on yet. When I do, I'll post pics. I've also contacted Geno's Garage about this. I'll send them pics also. Maybe they'll carry 2 versions???????????

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Plus we are supposed to drain the water out every 10K. This will make that a lot easier.
Where is this information from?

I'm okay with just using the gallon ziploc bag. Drain valve seems overkill to me as I don't bother with the factory drain plug.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts