RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Where is this information from?

I'm okay with just using the gallon ziploc bag. Drain valve seems overkill to me as I don't bother with the factory drain plug.
Page 133 of the Owners Manual in the Diesel suppliment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just change my filter every other oil change, which is about every 16k miles.

My fuel filters have never been that dark.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well it was time to change oil and fuel filter. This is my first fuel filter change since buying the Geno's garage kit. Everything was fine until I went to put the brass drain plug back in. The o-ring has swelled up enough that it just squeezes out when you try to tighten it. Searched but couldn't find anyone having this problem. Will any similar sized o-ring work or does it have to be be something compatible with diesel? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
Well it was time to change oil and fuel filter. This is my first fuel filter change since buying the Geno's garage kit. Everything was fine until I went to put the brass drain plug back in. The o-ring has swelled up enough that it just squeezes out when you try to tighten it. Searched but couldn't find anyone having this problem. Will any similar sized o-ring work or does it have to be be something compatible with diesel? Any advice would be appreciated.
See page 17 View attachment oring_chemicalcompatibility.pdf

·
Registered
58 Posts
Geno’s has great Custer service, at least that has been my experience, and I really like the fuel filter tool!

FYI, last few filter changes i didn’t bother pre draining the fuel. Entire thing right into a ziplock (and hoping there are no witnesses if I spaz and get fuel everywhere, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I found out that they make a cap for these. I've since ordered 2 one for the fuel and 1 for the oil. The Part number is EZ Cap - (SMALL DC-001). I don't have a pic of it, I'll take one next time I'm under there. Now I use a rubber strap wrench to loosen / tighten.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This couldn't be because it brings them more business is it? Ive stuck pretty close to 30k on mine and its all been fine.
Due to various comments on this forum, I just changed my fuel filter on my '17 ED at 16K miles. Seemed to be the idea that oil filter changes should be at 8K with fuel filters every other change. I used Mopar branded filters and got the pair for $69 on Amazon. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just changed my oil and fuel filter yesterday at the 40,000 mile mark, 30,000 miles on the fuel filter. No water in the fuel filter, was absolutely no sediment either, but all of my diesel comes out of my 275 gallon bulk tank through a 2 micron filter before it ever hits my truck's tank. Good to know it's working. Mopar fuel filter was slightly black, though. Was surprised how long it took for the oil to drain! Even after 1 hour oil was still dripping into the pan!

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
Dealership recommended 7500 mile fuel filter changes..Said FCU started off at 15, then moved it to 12, then 10 and are now at 7500 miles...especially for those on the east coast...
Originally was 30,000 miles and now revised to 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with you, that you have to remove the valve because the filter wrench won't fit. That is why I'm modifying the Geno's filter wrench so I don't have to. Just adding about 1 - 2" to the top. This way you can crack it open, release the pressure, then fully drain it.
ever get that photo of your modified fuel filter removal tool? I'm planning to do the same as you but with a Fumoto valve with nipple for a drain tube. May use a band style filter removal tool like this?
GA340.jpg

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
ever get that photo of your modified fuel filter removal tool? I'm planning to do the same as you but with a Fumoto valve with nipple for a drain tube. May use a band style filter removal tool like this?
View attachment 81620
I use an oil filter wrench with a modified fuel filter tool since adding the drain. The truth is the last couple filter changes were accomplished by simply loosening with my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Got it. Was it hard to cut up a billet filter housing tool? I just bought the orange one on sale for $17.95 so I won’t feel too bad putting a hole in it.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts