RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally fueled and did 100 miles without towing. This is just 100 miles but the first time I went any distance without hooking up and pulling something. There are maybe 40 miles of local commuting, shopping and marina visits in the mileage. After was one ride on rural roads with just a few stops. Speeds were up to 80 mph twice but mostly 65-70 as normal moving speeds away from the urban shopping, start-stop junk.

Take a peek in the lower right corner. The fuel gauge is reading over the 7/8th full mark after this mileage. I do not trust the EVIC but one earlier run without a trailer showed it close. My trailering is not as close. Unfortunately I am soon heading out on a long pull so this will not be hand calculated. Still, the first time I have seen it above the 20 mpg mark. All stock 4 x 4, 2019 crew cab carrying about 200 lbs of targets and another 100 lbs of tools in the bed. If this was my Ecodiesel it would be reading ( not accurately either) around 27 mpg based on the same driving.

7C6A8EEB-31C0-4EDF-A18B-37874EEE75C9 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

If you see that near 2 1/2 hour operation it's from idling at Home Depot, Walmart, stops, Marina, rifle range, doctor for the wife and more. Bet I only actually run less than 1 1/2 hours at highway speeds.

·
Registered
988 Posts
This pic is this morning, Butte. 4 degrees. Currently in Pasco, 42.

Lots of big grades and head winds. these past few days. Avg 10.0 mpg.

Truck is amazing...

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Idaho panhandle.
10451.jpeg
u

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wait a minute. Showed this to my wife. First thing she said was ...."He wasn't pulling that with his Ecodiesel, was he"?

That toy hauler is huge. I had a Work N Play toy hauler that I pulled with my old Cummins. It may have been a little shorter but went just over 10K lbs. I decided it was too big for a fun trip and sold it while I still had that Cummins. Then bought my current toy hauler, much smaller and a lot easier to maneuver around parking, stopping etc. Still heavy I always thought it was the perfect size for the Ecodiesel until I got into the mountains and slowed due to both power and temperatures.

If you pulled that big creature one inch with your Ecodiesel you should have pulled the guts out of it. That's a trailer that needs a 3/4 ton or larger pickup.

Pleasant pictures. Enjoy the trip. Follow-up on just what happened to you Ecodiesel.

*** Strange that right below this post is an advertisement from Firkins Ram in Bradenton. That is where I bought both this Cummins and the Ecodiesel. This site put in some serious changes and doing a regional ad must be part of it. Putting it within the posts is a pain but so be it. Money talks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Its big but all aluminum. No wood not even in the floor..Cabinets are aluminum. Empty 6400lbs. As it sits about 7700lbs. But Its 33 ft long and catches the wind. I now realize that was what the ED struggled with and the mountains. Weight wise were below max and the full air suspension made it seem ok.. But that's not the challenge, its the region we tow in. I would never go back to any half ton again.

ED is still in the shop. Tech is buried. Wife says lets keep it??

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that is a giant wind load. That size and up to 42 ft. was what I delivered with my old Duramax and the Cummins. Remember one time a fellow tried to follow me with one as there were two being delivered close near Napa Valley. I could do both presentations and all he had to do was tow. Well he had a 1500 GM. Think the transmission boiled over in Ohio from the plant in Pa. I remember calling a friend with a 3500 who came, hooked and then we booked. I used to deliver police, military and fire safety trailers for Mobile Concepts in Pa. I know lots about wind loads. Even had to go get one blown over in the wind near Chicago. Blew the pickup over also.

On these forums I often see people showing their successful tows with a 1500. Kind of like having an offshore fishing boat with one motor. Sure it may work but just when you get comfortable, conditions change and you are royally stuck. Tell people you need twin motors to go offshore is like telling people to be reasonable towing with a 1500. What you get back is some form of hostility.

To all of them I make a silent sign of the cross. Guessing the wife wants her own pickup. Both of you, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah that is a giant wind load. That size and up to 42 ft. was what I delivered with my old Duramax and the Cummins. Remember one time a fellow tried to follow me with one as there were two being delivered close near Napa Valley. I could do both presentations and all he had to do was tow. Well he had a 1500 GM. Think the transmission boiled over in Ohio from the plant in Pa. I remember calling a friend with a 3500 who came, hooked and then we booked. I used to deliver police, military and fire safety trailers for Mobile Concepts in Pa. I know lots about wind loads. Even had to go get one blown over in the wind near Chicago. Blew the pickup over also.

On these forums I often see people showing their successful tows with a 1500. Kind of like having an offshore fishing boat with one motor. Sure it may work but just when you get comfortable, conditions change and you are royally stuck. Tell people you need twin motors to go offshore is like telling people to be reasonable towing with a 1500. What you get back is some form of hostility.

To all of them I make a silent sign of the cross. Guessing the wife wants her own pickup. Both of you, enjoy the ride.
I installed the factory trailer brake on my eco and wanted to test it out so I hooked to this earlier today. Definitely too much for the eco but really like the integration of the brake controller.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wind load, that's it. ED towed this 37k miles. That was last check reading it on the screen. It worked, but this is way easier. Really used the exhaust brake on 101 along the coast. Little mad at myself for not doing this long ago.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the factory trailer brake on my eco and wanted to test it out so I hooked to this earlier today. Definitely too much for the eco but really like the integration of the brake controller.

I have often towed something like that with my ED. Just never towed very far and vary fast. Have a big , old Ford 200 tractor from the 1960's with lots of equipment and a huge trailer that is similar. The Ecodiesel pulled it well for the few times I used it.

Interesting also is my trailer brake wiring got trashed and few years ago and I never fixed it. Good reason for me to go slow.

Now if you pull that fifth-wheel behind there with your Ecodiesel, that's another story.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wind load, that's it. ED towed this 37k miles. That was last check reading it on the screen. It worked, but this is way easier. Really used the exhaust brake on 101 along the coast. Little mad at myself for not doing this long ago.
Curious as to the fuel mileage you got towing that trailer with your Ecodiesel. Now I know you got 10 mpg towing into the winds and up nasty mountains with your new Cummins. If you had the same conditions and were using that 3:92 Ecodiesel, what kind of fuel mileage did you get?

I have yet to tow my toy hauler with the Cummins. Not even tried it on a test. Yet, I towed that same trailer with my old Cummins and got 12-13 mpg. With the Ecoiesel I got 13-14 mpg. Near no difference between the two.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have often towed something like that with my ED. Just never towed very far and vary fast. Have a big , old Ford 200 tractor from the 1960's with lots of equipment and a huge trailer that is similar. The Ecodiesel pulled it well for the few times I used it.

Interesting also is my trailer brake wiring got trashed and few years ago and I never fixed it. Good reason for me to go slow.

Now if you pull that fifth-wheel behind there with your Ecodiesel, that's another story.
I work for a family that owns a couple mini storage/boat/rvparking so it's not mine.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
FWIW. I don't trust trailer manufacturers weight numbers. Go weigh it unloaded and dry, then add all your stuff and fill the tanks.

You might be surprised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts