RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of this might help you. I had to wade through "doo doo" at times putting this in.

First you have to get the factory hose clamp (8MM) off the filler soft hose but it's inside a molded keeper. Loosed the clamp and cut the dam thing off at the start. Big time waster.
With the filler hose pried off, line up the insert piece and then, using a razor knife, cut off a hunk of your factory filler hose. There's no going back and it will not bunch up without kinking so cut and don't be a coward like me.

Mount the fuel line to the top now while it's easy, use channel locks to spread open the tank fill hose. You have to stretch the heck out of it. Now use oil on the fill tube and force that sucker in. Tighten all clamps and done step one.
\

Go above into the bed and drill a 1/2" hole near the front of the bed. I opened up mine larger with a reamer to fit a rubber grommet after painting the raw metal with primer and getting same primer all over me and everything around me. Feed the fill tube up from the bottom. Slide grommet from the top and fill the hole.

Position tank so you have room to turn the outlet on and off. Drill tank flanges and use self-tapping screws through holes you drill in bed. Connect filler tube and don't kink it. I used a loop in case I wanted to add another filter later. Like this:

Now that it's mounted step back and look how pretty it is. I called my wife and told her she was sure pretty. Did not mention I was talking about the fuel tank.

Now here is how you fill it. Open the side cap door and find the filler tube.

There's one more step. Put fuel in it. Drive to the marina. Drink beer and check for leaks. Then meet wife at Moose for more beer and chicken wings.

Life is hard. I'm outta here.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty tough retirement going there capt.! I only hope that's me 30-35 years from now when I retire!

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just returned from the marina to pick wife up and go to the Moose for wings. Guy in his early 40's that lives just up the street between two close friends died. Heart attack. Never remotely sick. Police everywhere. Talked with one of my friends standing outside. It is what it is and a reminder.

Do your thing. You save to do it later or a rainy day, you may get flooded out. Remember that Chris.

Fuel dropping slower than I expected. Thinking the cap is not vented so I may have to open the tank vent and put a small filter on it so crap doesn't get in More to test but there are no leaks that I see.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good work. My effort was pretty much the same except I cut my filler hose w/o removing it. Was a bit more lazy than you. Interesting that you didn't have the small leak problem that I did. I don't trust self tapping screws to hold much load, which is why I fastened my tank down differently. Good job on the pics.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So, Captain where did you get the name at first glance I thought it said captain animal. I do appreciate your giving of information to help others out.
I hope to be able to do the same, just not that great at writing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Captain! Nice Job. I think your right ........ on several things:

1. Probably needs a vent, Venting Cap?
2. I am trying hard to retire and work keeps getting in the way.
3. You never know for sure what the next minute will bring.
4. I'm sure when it's all over, I won't be saying; "I wish I had worked just another day":confused:

Regards
Dan

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Name came from my life and times as a charter captain. Did it on Lake Erie, the Chesapeake and Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. I write fishing columns for the Tampa Tribune/South Shore News. Most call me Captain Mal or FishHawk around here. Now that I'm getting into my 70's I don't charter much. Still have the license and still take people out. Just not interested in new business or working much. It's tough to throw the net any more for me.

As a school teacher for 33 years, everyone called me Mr. Mal. Captain Mal was just an evolution of that. Retired from teaching in 1999 and have had 15 years of retirement fun so far.

Fuel tank dropped about 5 gallons or so and then stopped. Did not see any leaks and it now shows full on the main gauge with 1/4 tank on the back tank. I only put 10 gallons in for the test and had about 120 miles on the main tank when I opened the petcock up. Just drove another 40 miles with a long stop. No leaks. RDS seems to have got it right.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You need to do a cross country run now capt.....test her out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just returned from the marina to pick wife up and go to the Moose for wings. Guy in his early 40's that lives just up the street between two close friends died. Heart attack. Never remotely sick. Police everywhere. Talked with one of my friends standing outside. It is what it is and a reminder.

Do your thing. You save to do it later or a rainy day, you may get flooded out. Remember that Chris.

Fuel dropping slower than I expected. Thinking the cap is not vented so I may have to open the tank vent and put a small filter on it so crap doesn't get in More to test but there are no leaks that I see.
Can't Agree more. My mom died at 51, my brother at 36. So that said, I am 53, This year I bought 2014 HD Street Glide Special, Now my new Longhorn ECO, House renovated last year. Bills up the ass, but I can handle that.
I plan to go out of this world the way I cam in BROKE and NAKED.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was heading to Wyoming in two weeks. Wife having issues with turning 65 while we would have been gone. Issues are she's a twin and her sister wants her with her at that time. Social Security and Medicare issues with medical providers have come up. Retirement issues with her silly work/hobby job have also been a topic.

All should be cleared up by early July and then we will go. Just not out West. Grass grows up by then and we can't see the prairie dogs to shoot them. Think we will just put one of my Harleys in the toy hauler and head to the Eastern mountains to ride and goof off for a while.

As for broke and naked ... I'll take half of that with the right person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts