RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
839 Posts
I had a strap rust through on my 01, but never had the mount on the frame rust out. This just became one more thing for me to check while replacing the fuel filter.

My guess is it's welded to, or part of, the frame; so fixing the actual part would probably be difficult. But once you get access to it, clean up what's left and get some rust inhibitor on it. Then you could probably screw, rivet, or maybe even weld a new plate across the front of the existing piece to hold the strap in.

Reactions: keiths487vs

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
839 Posts
I think you could probably fix it without lifting the bed. Though lifting the bed would give you much better access to clean off the rust and do some rustproofing.

I've never understood why so many people like to remove the bed instead of dropping the tank. Like to replace the pump for example, so many guys say "just lift the bed". But I think it would be just as easy to drop the tank. I did it on my 01 to replace the pump.

With the truck on jack stands I rolled under on the creeper, disconnected everything from the tank, removed the straps and lowered the tank and let it sit on my chest, then rolled out from under the truck and slid the tank onto the floor. It was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 full, so over 50lbs but not 100lbs on my chest. I would not want to do it this way with a full tank :) But I did it alone, so no need for 1 or 2 more guys to help lift the bed. If you have a full tank, there's no reason you couldn't lower the tank directly onto the creeper and slide it out from under the truck.

And whether you remove the bed or not, I would think you want to remove the tank. You don't want that in the way or anywhere nearby if you're welding. And you won't have enough slack in piping/wiring, you'll have to disconnect everything (filler neck, wiring harness to pump/sending unit, supply lines to filter, any vent lines), then pull the tank out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts