RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Fuel tank strap.

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  keiths487vs 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced or repaired the mount for the forward fuel tank strap? At 148,000 miles my strap mount has rusted through. Currently holding the tank up with a ratchet strap.
Sky Cloud Amber Wood Gas

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have to take this one on myself, no way am I chancing losing the tune ;) have not done the fuel pump or anything on my tank, but have pulled plenty of beds off other trucks to make repairs on other trucks with fuel tank mounted pumps, not a terrible job, just watch cab and bed re-installation, if you're not comfortable taking on the job yourself find an independent shop, will surely save you money and peace-of-mind;)(y)

#6 ·
I removed the bed on my last Ram to get at all the areas to protect from rust. Very easy to remove, 6 bolts, I believe. I pressure washed everything sprayed rust killing paint, then sprayed bed liner. 0 rust at 300,000 miles when traded. Got top dollar for it. 2 guys can lift the bed, 3 would be better.

#7 ·
I had a strap rust through on my 01, but never had the mount on the frame rust out. This just became one more thing for me to check while replacing the fuel filter.

My guess is it's welded to, or part of, the frame; so fixing the actual part would probably be difficult. But once you get access to it, clean up what's left and get some rust inhibitor on it. Then you could probably screw, rivet, or maybe even weld a new plate across the front of the existing piece to hold the strap in.

Reactions: keiths487vs
#8 ·
Do I need to pull the bed? Can I just drop the tank and all wiring/plumbing will follow along? My son has an 8klb 2-post lift. Thought I would drop the tank onto a set of saw horses and lift the truck up as far as the connected stuff would let me, spin it out of the way and weld a new plate in position. Pulling the bed will give me access to the rear of the tank, maybe that's the business end anyway.

#11 ·
Do I need to pull the bed? Can I just drop the tank and all wiring/plumbing will follow along?
I've done both several times, for my money and time I'll pull the bed, just has always proven easier for me, like mentioned earlier, most have 6 bolts and a couple of wire connections, and the fuel neck, as also mentioned I have done it with 2,3 even 4 people, but I have also done it with just me, it sounds and looks a whole lot more intimidating than it actually is, and fuel tanks, every time I take one out it seems like I have a "handful", probably because it's fooling with liquids, but I'd rather pull one of those old cast iron transfer cases that look like they should weigh 50#'s, then you end up juggling 700 pounds :oops: :unsure:😂😂, pulling the bed is not a bad job in my book, but if you've never done one, try to work with some one that has, you'll be surprised how easy it ends up being;)

Reactions: sourdo
#9 ·
I think you could probably fix it without lifting the bed. Though lifting the bed would give you much better access to clean off the rust and do some rustproofing.

I've never understood why so many people like to remove the bed instead of dropping the tank. Like to replace the pump for example, so many guys say "just lift the bed". But I think it would be just as easy to drop the tank. I did it on my 01 to replace the pump.

With the truck on jack stands I rolled under on the creeper, disconnected everything from the tank, removed the straps and lowered the tank and let it sit on my chest, then rolled out from under the truck and slid the tank onto the floor. It was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 full, so over 50lbs but not 100lbs on my chest. I would not want to do it this way with a full tank :) But I did it alone, so no need for 1 or 2 more guys to help lift the bed. If you have a full tank, there's no reason you couldn't lower the tank directly onto the creeper and slide it out from under the truck.

And whether you remove the bed or not, I would think you want to remove the tank. You don't want that in the way or anywhere nearby if you're welding. And you won't have enough slack in piping/wiring, you'll have to disconnect everything (filler neck, wiring harness to pump/sending unit, supply lines to filter, any vent lines), then pull the tank out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.